What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Well, yesterday I opened up my tub of Proraso White and found a spot of mold on it. Very disappointing. Further investigation revealed that the mold ran through the whole tub. This has been somewhat of an old faithful in my den, and it was pretty disappointing to pitch it, but I felt it was the right thing to do. Add this to the number of soaps that I’ve had to put aside due to allergic reactions and my den is getting a lot thinner than I had anticipated...

In more positive news, I’ve been perfecting my two pass shave (WTG, XTG), and am getting results that are comparable or better than my old 3 pass shaves (with an ATG pass)!

gcconspiracy still in.

Well, yesterday I opened up my tub of Proraso White and found a spot of mold on it. Very disappointing. Further investigation revealed that the mold ran through the whole tub. This has been somewhat of an old faithful in my den, and it was pretty disappointing to pitch it, but I felt it was the right thing to do. Add this to the number of soaps that I’ve had to put aside due to allergic reactions and my den is getting a lot thinner than I had anticipated...

In more positive news, I’ve been perfecting my two pass shave (WTG, XTG), and am getting results that are comparable or better than my old 3 pass shaves (with an ATG pass)!

gcconspiracy still in.

Ick, not what you want to find. I'm curious how old the tub was, if you remember. Haven't had a product mold on me yet (knock on wood).

Ick, not what you want to find. I'm curious how old the tub was, if you remember. Haven't had a product mold on me yet (knock on wood).
I received the tub of soap Christmas 2018, so it’s a year and a half old, but it was the old label so I’m guessing it was already old stock at that point...

I should mention that I live in a very humid climate, and made the mistake of storing the tub of soap in my bathroom cabinet. From now on I will be keeping my soaps in another room.

I received the tub of soap Christmas 2018, so it’s a year and a half old, but it was the old label so I’m guessing it was already old stock at that point...

I should mention that I live in a very humid climate, and made the mistake of storing the tub of soap in my bathroom cabinet. From now on I will be keeping my soaps in another room.
I see, thanks. Well, I guess that's one way to thin the den. Keep on keeping on.

Still out with no regrets as the Oneblade purchase that put me out is now my daily driver. After 3017ing a couple of soaps, I’ve gone to one week rotations. With 10 soaps and creams that means it takes a while before I get back to something, but at least I can see a dent by the end of each week. Aftershaves, though—good grief they drain slowly! I have 5 and they will last me at least 3 years the rate they’re going!

SOTD (# 101/2020)
02-06-2020
20200602_165423-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso Pre-shave White
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Scottish heather (sample)
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS.

JAHE - still in.

Well guys, I’m out.

After losing a bunch of soaps due to allergic reactions, and then finding mold on one of my favorites, I’ve decided to break sabbatical and search out some soaps/scents that agree with my face.

Here’s the order:

9E388822-EE59-4F41-8564-B999BF1FBDDC.jpeg

Thanks, it’s been fun!

SOTD (# 102/2020)
03-06-2020
20200602_193347-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso Pre-shave White
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Speick Men ~ Active
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Gillette 7 o' clock Sharp Edge yellow (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, S.Oliver Superior AS

JAHE - still in.

Well guys, I’m out.

After losing a bunch of soaps due to allergic reactions, and then finding mold on one of my favorites, I’ve decided to break sabbatical and search out some soaps/scents that agree with my face.

Here’s the order:

View attachment 1108491

Thanks, it’s been fun!

Hi,

Oooh. Mini Treewhale! Going out in Style! The Dark Lord would say: Have a Cookie!

Sorry to see you go, though. Moldy soap is not good, though, so this is quite understandable.

Stan

Hi,

Oooh. Mini Treewhale! Going out in Style! The Dark Lord would say: Have a Cookie!

Sorry to see you go, though. Moldy soap is not good, though, so this is quite understandable.

Stan

Lol, mini Treewhale - I love it!

Yeah, I’ve never tried Stirling before, so i figured why not go the sample route and order a bunch. I’m sure my face will agree with at least a few of the scents, then I can order full tubs eventually.

Thanks for the understanding sendoff!

gcc

Sorry to see you quit. Hope that you won't have any issues with the new soaps.

thanks for your kindness. I was sorry to quit as well, but I’ve learned a ton over the past 5 months, so the sabbatical has definitely been worth it for me. To be honest, I don’t see myself returning to my old buying habits again, but rather thinking through purchases much more prior to pulling the trigger.

take care, and may you make it to January!

PS - I’ve really enjoyed your sotd shots!

Well guys, I’m out.

Here’s the order:

View attachment 1108491

Thanks, it’s been fun!
Stirling is definitely the way to go. I have many of their scents and I enjoy most of them. Have a good one!

Stirling is definitely the way to go. I have many of their scents and I enjoy most of them. Have a good one!
thanks. I haven’t tried stirling, but I’m sure hoping they work well for me! They are economical, readily available, and seem to be the kind of company that I like to support.

what are your favourite stirling scents?

thanks. I haven’t tried stirling, but I’m sure hoping they work well for me! They are economical, readily available, and seem to be the kind of company that I like to support.

Exactly. I enjoy them for the same reasons + great performance. I like mild and natural scents so I enjoy Orange chill, lemon chill, MITA, Tea tree, barbershop, SDM, and peach. Pretty much all of their EO scents and popular dupes like executive man and such.

Bummer about the allergies and the mold. If you haven't used Stirling yet, I find it to be super thirsty... Super thirsty. That said I love it. I've been using one tub all year so far and the donut has been taunting me for over a month. Hope you enjoy it.

Exactly. I enjoy them for the same reasons + great performance. I like mild and natural scents so I enjoy Orange chill, lemon chill, MITA, Tea tree, barbershop, SDM, and peach. Pretty much all of their EO scents and popular dupes like executive man and such.

awesome. I’ve got a number of these scents in my order of samples. I’m really looking forward to trying them out!

Bummer about the allergies and the mold. If you haven't used Stirling yet, I find it to be super thirsty... Super thirsty. That said I love it. I've been using one tub all year so far and the donut has been taunting me for over a month. Hope you enjoy it.

oh wow, that’s a long time for a soft soap. Have you been 3017’ing it or using it a rotation?

thanks for your kindness. I was sorry to quit as well, but I’ve learned a ton over the past 5 months, so the sabbatical has definitely been worth it for me. To be honest, I don’t see myself returning to my old buying habits again, but rather thinking through purchases much more prior to pulling the trigger.

take care, and may you make it to January!

PS - I’ve really enjoyed your sotd shots!

Thank you for your kind wishes, too.
I am quite optimistic to make it until January 1st. Not seriously tempted as yet. And it feels great that I (we) finally broke this circle of unreflected buying habits.

And thank you for your "PS". Makes me happy that you enjoyed the shots (all taken with my ancient mobile phone cam).

Today's SOTD therefore is dedicated to you (ok, my Proraso tub is already 16 months in frequent use and I guess given the experience you made I need to hurry a bit lol).

Stay safe & healthy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom