What's new

Is it too early to buy pipe tobacco?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m on the list for the 2020 B&B LE Pipe. My last pipe experience and tobacco purchase was back in 2013.

Is it too early to buy some pipe tobacco? Don’t answer....

So what (and where) would you recommend I start? Just a little background - I’m a cigar guy. I prefer a mild smoke. But when I’m drunk I don’t care so....

What would be a good starter? And where to order?

Thanks!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I like Cupojoes, and Smokingpipes. I’ve have bad luck with Pipesandcigars.

Tobacco reviews has a great search engine to find the kind of tobacco you might be interested in.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
If you're not too into pipe tobacco yet I'd recommend starting with the classics. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh and the like. An Amphora sampler pack comes with an introduction to 5 blend types (English, Kentucky, Burley, Virginia, and Black Cavendish).

That's where I'd suggest starting. As an added benefit you can purchase all of the tobacco I just recommended for around $50 ($30 for that Amphora sampler and about $7 each for the OTC's depending on your location and taxes). The Amphora sampler will probably have to be ordered online but the others can be found locally almost anywhere in the US at a cig or tobacco shop (most gas stations carry one or all three where I'm located).

The old stand by applies here YMMV...

I had good luck in the past recommending Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend (a medium to light classic Danish tobacco) for cigar smokers, as well as Dunhill's Standard Mixture (no nonsense English blend); this is now sold under Peterson Standard Mixture, tobacco is the same though.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another OTC to consider is Captain Black in the White pouch, a popular Cavendish. But for online purchases, SmokingPipes.com is the most popular source and for good reason. They have both tinned and bulk, the later sold by the oz., great for sampling new blends. Do you still have a pipe? If not, pick up an MM cob.

I always recommend getting and trying 1 of each of the main blend types (English, Burley, Virginia, Vaper, and aromatic). The Amphora sampler back listed by @brandaves is a great way to do that. Amphora is a solid tobacco line and should give you a good idea of what blends you may like, then you can go from there.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I had good luck in the past recommending Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend (a medium to light classic Danish tobacco) for cigar smokers, as well as Dunhill's Standard Mixture (no nonsense English blend); this is now sold under Peterson Standard Mixture, tobacco is the same though.

I really like Mac Baren's Mixture and Mixture Flake. They're a great Virginia-Burley blend with a touch of cavendish that's easy to smoke, has a mild topping that doesn't bite, and isn't too sweet. They're well-behaved in the bowl too. Good smokes to start out, and the mixture flake is an excellent first flake.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you're not too into pipe tobacco yet I'd recommend starting with the classics. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh and the like. An Amphora sampler pack comes with an introduction to 5 blend types (English, Kentucky, Burley, Virginia, and Black Cavendish).

That's where I'd suggest starting. As an added benefit you can purchase all of the tobacco I just recommended for around $50 ($30 for that Amphora sampler and about $7 each for the OTC's depending on your location and taxes). The Amphora sampler will probably have to be ordered online but the others can be found locally almost anywhere in the US at a cig or tobacco shop (most gas stations carry one or all three where I'm located).

The old stand by applies here YMMV...
I
Completely agree with the above. Prince Albert is almost a must if you are breaking in a new pipe as well as meeting a possible life long friend. Carter Hall is another comforting blend you may learn to love. I’m having a bowl of PA right now and am so relaxed I fear I’m going to slip out of my skin!

Definitely second grabbing a MM cob next time you're driving past almost any store that sells cigarettes. While you're out, swing by your friendly local hardware store and grab the smallest box of roofing nails you can find (unless you have some kicking around the house). Ok, I've cost you around $10 but now you're in a position to relearn how to ride a bicycle. And you're the proud new owner of a full pound of tampers and picks! Pro hack, make your first stop the roofing nails. Then after the drug store, you can sit in the car in the parking lot and pack up a bowl for the drive home.

For when you are sober: L.J. Peretti Cuban Mixture. It is listed in the Burley section, but it is not like your usual, or even unusual burley blends. It has a bit of cigar leaf, thus the "Cuban". I find it a pleasant, reasonably light, but complex, highly enjoyable smoke. Note that when I say complex, it means I can't actually figure it out, but in a good way. It is also Peretti's oldest blend, or so they say. https://www.ljperetti.com/l-j-peretti-tobacco-cat/burley.html

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just bought these based on the suggestions here. I don’t like them you all are fired.

DD0E29EA-97DC-4488-BCF5-7C36620E6614.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you end up liking Captain Black (white pouch, there are others), you may want to try Lane RLP-6 bulk. Some say it is the same as CBW but without the polypropylene glycol, others say it is similar but different, YMMV.

I smoke pipe from time to time. Tried so far some Tilbury (Germany) and some Peterson varieties. Then I opened a pouch of Captain Black (white). And the Captain is the worst, both in flavor and the way it burns. I don't care for the optimal level of moisture in tobacco and usually I dry it before use. With the previous tobaccos mentioned, a full bowl smoked required around 5 matches in total. The Captain requires around 13-15 and much more frequent drawings. Totally unsatisfied with it.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
[/QUOTE]
I smoke pipe from time to time. Tried so far some Tilbury (Germany) and some Peterson varieties. Then I opened a pouch of Captain Black (white). And the Captain is the worst, both in flavor and the way it burns. I don't care for the optimal level of moisture in tobacco and usually I dry it before use. With the previous tobaccos mentioned, a full bowl smoked required around 5 matches in total. The Captain requires around 13-15 and much more frequent drawings. Totally unsatisfied with it.
And that is probably due to the PG added to keep it moist FOREVER, which RLP-6 doesn't have.

Top Bottom