What's new

In stock tobacco thread

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Gotcha! Sorry for being a bit itchy on the trigger fellas... :)

I have last years blend and it definitely got better with age, even 7 months.
I thought the same thing! Haha

Watch city cigars is supposed to have it that day as well though!

My Carolina red flake said 03132/10000 so i wonder how small batch Sansepolcro is too! Hahaha

10 grand? That’s pushing the “Small Batch” marketing angle imo.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I thought the same thing! Haha

Watch city cigars is supposed to have it that day as well though!

My Carolina red flake said 03132/10000 so i wonder how small batch Sansepolcro is too! Hahaha

The first batch of Sansepolcro (July 2016) was 4500.

I plan on buying two. One for now and one for cellar.

I need to figure out how long a tin lasts if I smoke 2 bowls a day minimum so that I can buy the proper amount for years of smoking. Maybe I should buy more than 2 tins of a blend at a time? I am still a novice though...

As for the quantity, I agree. Lots of pipe tobacco seems to be labeling small batch or limited edition or special anniversary as just a marketing strategy. As a newb, I make sure to fall for it every time and get one! Haha Don’t think any of us will complain about buying more tobacco in the end though...Trying all the tobaccos is fun!

In answer to your questions:

I need to figure out how long a tin lasts if I smoke 2 bowls a day minimum so that I can buy the proper amount for years of smoking.

Less than two weeks if that's all you're smoking. I've found that, on average, a 50g tin equates to about 15 bowls. That number will vary considerably, depending on the size of your bowls and the density you pack. You'll figure out your own numbers as you go, but in my experience that's a good starting point to estimate.

Maybe I should buy more than 2 tins of a blend at a time?

You already know the answer to this one.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I plan on buying two. One for now and one for cellar.

I need to figure out how long a tin lasts if I smoke 2 bowls a day minimum so that I can buy the proper amount for years of smoking. Maybe I should buy more than 2 tins of a blend at a time? I am still a novice though...

As for the quantity, I agree. Lots of pipe tobacco seems to be labeling small batch or limited edition or special anniversary as just a marketing strategy. As a newb, I make sure to fall for it every time and get one! Haha Don’t think any of us will complain about buying more tobacco in the end though...Trying all the tobaccos is fun!

IMO the best way to figure this is to pack a bowl and weight how much tobacco that is. If you pack 3 grams average than a 50 gram tin will get you 15 bowls or so. Smoke one bowl a day and you need 100 grams a month. 20 years of smoking will need 50 pounds of tobacco. Smoke 2 a day and you are looking at a 100lb cellar lol.

So, yeah, you need a lot :).

At 12.00 a 50 gram tin, the cash outlay is a somewhat staggering $5750.00. Some of the cost can be reduced by looking for sales and buying in bulk. A pound of HH tends to do for around 65.00, and pound of Peter Stokkebye is 45ish. Depending on what you smoke a 50g tin can cost more or less of course.

A 50g tin of Frog Morton was 7.46 in 2012. A pound of HH Vintage Syrian was 54.00 in 2017. So you can see tobacco prices go up over time. $5000.00 of tobacco today will cost $6000.00 in 3 years, possibly $10,000 in 8 years. If States move to ban internet sales of tobacco you will be forced to pay local retail prices, which is up to 20.00 a tin considering what the tobacco taxes are where you live.

If you like to smoke, know what you like, and have the means to cellar my suggestion is to buy all you can. Tobacco will never be as cheap than it is today. YMMV.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Sansepolcro is live Gents.
7 tins on the way. I figure if it's not my cup of tea it'll make good trading stock in future at the very least. Also added a tin of Solani Aged Burley Flake, a blend I've yet to try but heard a lot about.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
For those of you not wanting to deal with the hassle of an influx of orders.
STRAUS tobacco has their Sleepy Hollow in stock right now. It’s usually available from Sept-October. It’s not the massive order that it usually is, but it’s something

For those of you not wanting to deal with the hassle of an influx of orders.
STRAUS tobacco has their Sleepy Hollow in stock right now. It’s usually available from Sept-October. It’s not the massive order that it usually is, but it’s something

Nice, good update! This is one of the best aromatic tobaccos I have ever had.

Top Bottom