What's new

No guard DE?

THAT is the way to do it!
If you look back through this thread you will see that, although many don’t, it makes sense to leave the outermost teeth/blade stops/ends of the guard in place to protect yourself from the blade corners.
:hand: As you know Marcus, IMO that is definitely NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. (A "bit" of a guard is cheating. :001_tt2:)
upload_2018-12-3_18-22-57.png

But of course, we do agree on lots of OTHER things. :laugh:

Vive la différence. :punk:

Inspired by all your valuable posts I have made some experiments with a number of Gillette vintage razors (3 of them totally damaged) and than started to think about a single edge razor... I was not able to find one at the market so I made some own "designs" based on stainless steel. And finally today I have finished my second generation single edge razor which does what I want :) It gives a very close shave without any irritation!

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_205444.jpg
    IMG_20200531_205444.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200531_205459.jpg
    IMG_20200531_205459.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
It is already loaded with a blade 😀 I have tried to made the head have a width so that the blade tabs are fully covered.
Ha, right, got it. :blushing:

Would you do a pic showing the blade in position, laying on one of the plates, prior to loading please? Sorry to be a pest, I just like to know things. :biggrin:

Ha, right, got it. :blushing:

Would you do a pic showing the blade in position, laying on one of the plates, prior to loading please? Sorry to be a pest, I just like to know things. :biggrin:

I don't have any tools for machining so the idea was to align the blade by pushing from two sides. Therefore the head has the exact size of a half DE blade.

What really makes a difference is that the outer "teeths" eliminate chatter and the razor feels like a straight razor. So far I was not able to find something similar at the market (a more professional razor than my razor 😀 )

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_214817.jpg
    IMG_20200601_214817.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
I don't have any tools for machining so the idea was to align the blade by pushing from two sides. Therefore the head has the exact size of a half DE blade.

What really makes a difference is that the outer "teeths" eliminate chatter and the razor feels like a straight razor. So far I was not able to find something similar at the market (a more professional razor than my razor 😀 )
As long as it gives a good shave. Who cares what it looks like. Especially one that is made by the user.

That is just awesome when people make their own.

As long as it gives a good shave. Who cares what it looks like. Especially one that is made by the user.

That is just awesome when people make their own.

Thank you very much. Aligning the blade is sometimes a bit tricky. I'm thinking about how I could make alignment pins with my simple tools. Stainless steel is not easy to work with and I know that I have a lot to learn.

:001_cool: Thank you, and congratulations on making a "different" razor.

As you'll see from my post (#963) above, I prefer to have the blade ends showing. The blade is clamped close enough to the edge by the cap and the modified baseplate not to "chatter." But I bet Marcus @mjclark would love your version.

Keep up the good work! :cornut:

Thank you very much. Aligning the blade is sometimes a bit tricky. I'm thinking about how I could make alignment pins with my simple tools. Stainless steel is not easy to work with and I know that I have a lot to learn.
Keep trying you will figure it out. Besides. Once you have it functioning the way you like it. Then you can spend some time making it look nice if you so desire.

That looks great! Can you show a picture of It opened, how do you locate the blade?

Locating the blade is indeed difficult. Right now I'm working on an improved version which makes (hopefully) aligning the blade much easier. Hope that it will be ready next week. Then I will post pics of it.

Thank you very much.

Hi all :)
I see meny of us is using or have tryed devette.

How is this science going? See difference betwen caps and blade chatters etc?

Just did give unguarded shave an try! Well, used gillette old type clone here. Little blade chatter, not much. Shave was, well, close to the same as i did with the guard...

THAT is the way to do it!
If you look back through this thread you will see that, although many don’t, it makes sense to leave the outermost teeth/blade stops/ends of the guard in place to protect yourself from the blade corners.
I think that depends on the person and razor design. My Sharff was designed with no blade stops yet shaves marvelously. It's my go-to razor when I absolutely positively don't want nicks or cuts,

Top Bottom