What's new

Function fire: CZ-82, Keith-style SWCs

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally! Got to the range Friday.

Not for fun (as I told LOTH :tongue_sm). Not for practice. No! Had to function fire a few things.

1. Needed to actually SHOOT some of those Elmer Keith-style semiwadcutters I cast a couple months ago - before loading gawdalone knows how many .38 Special cases with them. It was a "new" mold, from ebay, so. Don't want hidden issues and to PULL 100s of rounds.

2. Had been hankerin' to shoot my CZ-82. Don't know why; it just needed shooting. Hard as heck to cycle; did I put a Wolff 18-pound spring in there when I got it? It is my habit with all milsurps to immediately change/upgrade all springs. Hm.

full

1. S&W Mod. 65 made the trip. I've had that gun since Noah beached the boat. Before you laugh at the S&W ivorylite grips, remember what ivory-packin' revolver man Gen. George Patton said to the reporter ...

Patton:
"They're ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans wh*rehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol."

Also, that gun has had so many grips I can't remember. Oversized rosewood magna stocks, Herretts, rubber 80's Pachys etc. This is just the latest iteration. Anyways.

Bullets shot just fine. Plenty of Alox smoke, but a clean cleanup!

full

2. The CZ-82 is one amazing milsurp. I may have paid $220 for mine, maybe. CZ quality, and when I stripped the thing to clean, I was aghast. It's practically unfired. The paint-like coating is perfect on the inside. Anyways.

Five magazines, four kinds of 9x18 Mak ammo - 100% performance. No malfs, nothing but fun. err, I mean, function.

That strong recoil spring ensures a mild throw of brass, and you want it: CZ-82 is a blowback design, meaning a fixed barrel. It seems to kick more than you'd think, but the gun's low bore axis and wide grip - she's a double stack of 12+1 - helps absorb it.

I may cast and load 9mm Mak. Can't decide. Comblock ammo is still cheap. Making this gun even better is its polygonal rifling, so an easy cleanup, too.

All steel, old-school pistol with a great (albeit two-stage) trigger.

full

(this target, so-so. I pull to the right when arm's tired).

So. I can go back to loading a *bunch* of those .38 Keith SWC's. And carry the CZ with confidence, if I choose.

Hope you get to the range soon!

Thanks for looking; comments on CZ and Smith welcome.

AA

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Aim Surplus has some of the CZ-83s in 32acp in stock. The 83 was the civilian version of the 82 and came in 32acp, 380acp and 9mm Mak.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Aim Surplus has some of the CZ-83s in 32acp in stock. The 83 was the civilian version of the 82 and came in 32acp, 380acp and 9mm Mak.

Good to know. I always liked AIM, but have been out of milsurp circles for a while.

CZ-83 mags in .380 are interchangeable, I have one. There are netziens that say .380 shoots - in an emergency- out of 9mm Mak CZ-82. Looser groups and case bulges etc.

AA

My FFL got in a CZ82 and called me. I am in one of those effed up states so the only to get one is if a C&R holder sold theirs. That loophole since corrected. Just was not in the mood to buy then and have kicked myself ever since.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My FFL got in a CZ82 and called me. I am in one of those effed up states so the only to get one is if a C&R holder sold theirs. That loophole since corrected. Just was not in the mood to buy then and have kicked myself ever since.

They feel great in-hand, have great sights, smooth trigger ...CZ quality.

Split a thousand rounds with a bud and don't worry about ammo.

AA

What mold is the Keith bullet? I just got a 125gr. Lee 2 cavity and so far it's proving a little finicky; lot's of wrinkles.
your bullets look real good.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What mold is the Keith bullet? I just got a 125gr. Lee 2 cavity and so far it's proving a little finicky; lot's of wrinkles.
your bullets look real good.

Here you go!

I have several aluminum Lee molds and to me they are finicky-frustrating. I'd rather buy used steel molds off eBay. But I am a rookie caster, probably overlooking something fundamental.

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
.380 is 9x17, 9mm Mak is 9x18, Parabellum us 9x19...
AA
Another intriguing 9x18, one that some say served as the inspiration for Ivan’s 9x18 Mak, was the (.355) 9mm Ultra. Late in 1935, the fledgling Luftwaffe commissioned Walther & the Genschow Co. (GECO) to develop a pistol & a more powerful (than the 9mm Kurz) cartridge for their pilots. The 9mm Ultra would debut in 1936, but soon thereafter was scrapped, literally never having got off the runway.

During the 1970s, Walther resurrected the 9mm Ultra & renamed it, the 9mm Police. West German & Swiss police agencies carried Walther PP Super & Sig P230s, respectively, chambered for the 9mm Police. Mauser & Benelli also produced commercial 9mm Police pistols during this time. Unlike the 9mm Ultra, the 9mm Police actually left the runway, though it only flew for few years.

A Walther PP Super is on my firearms bucket list ... a guy can never have too many obsolete pistols chambered for dying or dead rounds, eh? 😉

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Another intriguing 9x18, one that some say served as the inspiration for Ivan’s 9x18 Mak, was the (.355) 9mm Ultra. Late in 1935, the fledgling Luftwaffe commissioned Walther & the Genschow Co. (GECO) to develop a pistol & a more powerful (than the 9mm Kurz) cartridge for their pilots. The 9mm Ultra would debut in 1936, but soon thereafter was scrapped, literally never having got off the runway.

During the 1970s, Walther resurrected the 9mm Ultra & renamed it, the 9mm Police. West German & Swiss police agencies carried Walther PP Super & Sig P230s, respectively, chambered for the 9mm Police. Mauser & Benelli also produced commercial 9mm Police pistols during this time. Unlike the 9mm Ultra, the 9mm Police actually left the runway, though it only flew for few years.

A Walther PP Super is on my firearms bucket list ... a guy can never have too many obsolete pistols chambered for dying or dead rounds, eh? 😉

I really enjoy shooting 6x50mm Arisaka. Once you have dies ... And maybe a mold ... ANY round is less than a dime to shoot!

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I really enjoy shooting 6x50mm Arisaka. Once you have dies ... And maybe a mold ... ANY round is less than a dime to shoot!
AA
I have never even handled a wartime Arisaka or for that matter, a wartime Nambu. The only thing I could tell you about either is that certan Nambu pistols might discharge if whacked on the side & that the Arisaka Chrysanthemum had something to do with the Emperor. I really should familiarize myself with wartime Japanese ordnance.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have never even handled a wartime Arisaka or for that matter, a wartime Nambu. The only thing I could tell you about either is that certan Nambu pistols might discharge if whacked on the side & that the Arisaka Chrysanthemum had something to do with the Emperor. I really should familiarize myself with wartime Japanese ordnance.

Strongest and safest bolt action of the war, the Japanese actually improved upon the Mauser action. And 6x50mm sr is a flat shooter, fun round.

AA

Top Bottom