What's new

Disapppointing scent: TOBS Sandalwood

Many love to hate Tabac for its scent, but TOBS Sandalwood is even more hardcore feminine, yet doesn’t get near the hate.

Keep it in a drawer, I didn’t like it at first either but it has grown on me over time, might be the same for you.

Many love to hate Tabac for its scent, but TOBS Sandalwood is even more hardcore feminine, yet doesn’t get near the hate.

Keep it in a drawer, I didn’t like it at first either but it has grown on me over time, might be the same for you.
There really is something 'not quite right' about it. I own too many soaps to give this one a try. What I will do instead, is give it away and order TOBS in a new scent. I really like the cream. Was looking forward to shaving with it.

Everyone expects TOBS sandalwood to smell like......sandalwood. However, it is really a complex cologne scent described as: a rich woody blend of exotic sweet scented Sandalwood and Cedar, add Lavender and Rosemary with subtle floral and Jasmine and Rose. If you want sandalwood, there are far better choices.

Everyone expects TOBS sandalwood to smell like......sandalwood. However, it is really a complex cologne scent described as: a rich woody blend of exotic sweet scented Sandalwood and Cedar, add Lavender and Rosemary with subtle floral and Jasmine and Rose. If you want sandalwood, there are far better choices.

Agreed. I have at least five other sandalwood scents and they all share a similar base, even if some are sweet and others aren't. This stuff doesn't smell anything like the description you posted. It just stinks. Hurts my nose. Of the nearly one hundred soaps I own, it's by far the worst smelling one. Unusable.

Haha! My wife thinks it smells like nursing home. I PIF’d it, kept the wooden bowl, and replaced it with Jermyn Street.

Yes! A nursing home! I'd rather shave with Arko! And Tabac smells lovely. This one's going bye bye. I want TOBS though. I removed the freshness seal and lathered the residue from it. Holy crap. It's nicer than I was expecting. Explodes into slick lather.

the scent from the cream seems to smell stronger than the soap puck to me. I've only had the soap for 3 months... compared to my other soaps I would say it's very mild.

Grapefruit is amazing. If you like grapefruit that is. Smells exactly like a grapefruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I always thought TOBS smelled like lemon but so many people swore by it I figured I had a dud. Glad the scent doesn’t agree with others, performance is A+ though.

I've been using TOBS Sandalwood for years now. It was the first soap I bought after I extinguished the small tube of Art of Shaving Sandalwood my wife gave me as a present to start me on this adventure. At first I was a little disappointed as it didn't smell anything like the AOS version of Sandalwood. But then as I used it more, I grew to appreciate it as it's own scent. I'll agree that as with other TOBS creams it has a very soapy overtone that is prominent. I smell it in their Shave Shop, Aloe Vera and probably another that I just can't remember at the moment. Give it some time. I think it will grow on you.

Agreed. I have at least five other sandalwood scents and they all share a similar base, even if some are sweet and others aren't. This stuff doesn't smell anything like the description you posted. It just stinks. Hurts my nose. Of the nearly one hundred soaps I own, it's by far the worst smelling one. Unusable.

Since the scent of TOBS sandalwood is so strong, I find that it is quite suitable for defunking natural hair brushes. That is the only reason I keep it in my den.

One of the first scents I tried and thought it was ok - very strong though and had to be in the mood for it! Tried Salter’s Sandalwood not long after and much preferred the scent of that although it’s also mixed in with other notes. Salter’s cream does contain sandalwood essential oil though and it’s listed on the tub. Don’t think TOBS does from memory.
I’ve bought multiple tubs of Salter’s but not TOBS.

As gablett said TOBS grapefruit is superb and very true to the scent of a real grapefruit.
Royal Forest, which some have likened to Creed Aventus, is nice too.

I rather liked the TOBS sandalwood soap. Mild scent with a powdery note. Easy to lather. Pretty good performance, but not as good as Tabac.

Never tried their cream.

Scent is a very individual thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scent is a very subjective thing. I have over 200 soaps and creams and 11 of those are various Sandalwoods. While I don't think TOBS sandalwood smells like true Indian Sandalwood, I really like it a lot. As any soap or cream with a wood type base, I think its a pretty masculine scent and its probably my favorite TOBS scent. The scent of the hard milled soap version is much lighter and still pleasant but I personally prefer the stronger scent of the cream more.

Top Bottom