What's new

Not quite a newbie but new to the site!

So Im newer to the site. I found a 1930s Gillette NEW Hardset Box (https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1930s NEW Hardbox Set.jpg) Im thinking of sending it in to get it replated since it was free. Finding that razor kinda lit a fire in me for getting more active in this cool community.

Razor/blades-I currently use my Merkur 23C (180) with Astra SP or Gillette silver blue, the silver blues aren't my favorite but they were on sale so I got a hundred. Traded someone on the forum for some other stuff just haven't had the chance to use them yet.

Brush- I purchased a brush and stand from oconnorwoodworking off instagram. He is a fellow Navy EOD guy so I figured id support him. Its a silvertip Grade A brush, the handle and stand are teak.

Oil- I got sick of paying for the preshave oil, so I googled homemade oils. Pretty sure the google machine brought me here and now my wife makes my oil with a combination of grape seed, castor and an essential oil for smell.

Soap- For soap I use AoS stuff, my now wife recommended me trying the safety razors since my neck use to break out pretty badly. She got me a whole AoS kit. So ive been using all that stuff for five years or so now. I have the nice teak bowl they use to sell and use the "puck" soap. Id love to find some other soaps that will fit that bowl or maybe try one of the creams.

Post shave- I use either AoS lotion or Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated lotion. I havent really used any of the more liquid stuff. Not sure the different but I like lotion.

Looking for whatever recommendations people have or tips and tricks! Attached are some pictures of my stuff since I'm deployed its screen shots of a lot of things.
IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8833.PNG

IMG_8832.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 10.10.24 AM.png

Welcome to the Madness. Great pics, good kit. Recommendations? You seem to have your den sorted. And as for SWMBO making you custom pre-shave...? Wow!

And thank you for your service!

Welcome to the Madness. Great pics, good kit. Recommendations? You seem to have your den sorted. And as for SWMBO making you custom pre-shave...? Wow!

And thank you for your service!
Appreciate the welcome!I had to goolge SWMBO (its so true,haha)! I guess after hours of reading on here I might need to grab an alum block and I lather inside the bowl on top of the soap which is also wrong. Might grab a little cup to do that. Any recommendations for stuff made in US?

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! For US made bowls check out Captains Choice. Lots of US soaps are very good - makers such as Ethos Grooming, Declaration Grooming, & Mikes, to name a few. And congrats on your NEW razor, they’re a superb shaver!

I too started with a Merkur 23C; the advice I had was, if you're coming from using long-handled cart razors, a long handle DE would be an easier transition. I enjoyed it, but when I bought my Slim Adjustable I loaned the Merkur out to Miss Linda. I should get it back now that my technique has improved and see how I do with it.

My 1930s Gillette NEW, replated in rhodium, is also a fantastic shaver. Open combs (and slants!) can do a fine fine job.

Welcome, and thank you for your service.

The Gillette New is a great razor. Some companies such as Sterling and Mike's sell just soap pucks to be used in the container of your choice. Both of those brands get a lot of love here on B&B.

Who did you get yours replated by? Im looking at backroadsgold for my NEW. He said its in very nice shape and would come out great.
The NEW came that way from the site -- a vendor who's been mentioned here. I'll see if I can find the name. It wasn't razoremporium.

I had my Slim replated in nickel by Chris E. of Razorplate.com, and I plan to send him my postwar Tech for replating in gold when the current "emergency" is over.

What does everyone use for used blades. I’ve just been throwing mine away however I’d like to recycle. I’d go the old coffee way but that’s hard to find and most coffee in a can is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What does everyone use for used blades. I’ve just been throwing mine away however I’d like to recycle. I’d go the old coffee way but that’s hard to find and most coffee in a can is garbage.

If you can find canned broth, somewhere on here will post a link. You cut a slit in the top and drain and wash it out and decorate the outside. Then recycle the whole thing when it's full.

FarmerTan

I meant "someone", lol! What I do is take some kind of screw off lidded plastic container (like a roasted peanut jar) and cut a slot in the lid. Or not! Doesn't exactly make sense to risk injury making a glorified sharps container! Just unscrew the lid!

Added the captains choice copper lather bowl to my den. Went with copper because I have two little ones and I figured a ceramic bowl would end up broken.

proxy.php

proxy.php

FarmerTan

Added the captains choice copper lather bowl to my den. Went with copper because I have two little ones and I figured a ceramic bowl would end up broken.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That is actually beautiful. Smart buy. And if a little one hadn't dropped a ceramic bowl, it's possible that their father might!

Top Bottom