What's new

Who Was That Masked Man?

The majority of you doubtless wear a mask when you are in a public place, for example, grocery shopping. What kind of mask do you wear--a cloth mask, a bandana, a surgical mask, an N95, a cloth mask with a pocket to insert a filter, other? How do you care for them?

I started out wearing wearing and reusing a surgical mask I had around. Next I bought some cotton, washable masks from Ebay. The latest masks I have are ones I got from Brooks Brothers ( no sheep logo on them). BB is manufacturing masks for healthcare workers in one of their plants, and also offers these for sale to the general public. I bought a pack of 5 for $20 plus shipping and tax.

Here's what BB says about them:

"Proudly crafted in the USA, our masks are sewn in our own factories using state-of-the-art non-woven material that has been tested to filter 86% of particles of 0.3 microns. Featuring higher filtration capacity than standard cotton fabrication, this superior material has been developed with a leading university to provide protection and high breathability to minimize interior humidity inside the mask when wearing for long periods of time. "

I wash my mask after each use by taking it off by the loops, then putting in the bathroom sink and pouring boiling water over it. After it has cooled, I wash it with laundry detergent, rinse and let air dry.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A few N95 are kept in my car readily available.

I also keep one like this in the trunk with an extra set of cartridges. I haven’t been brave enough to wear it yet.

6019CD81-2C79-4035-821F-C9F9B2DAE785.jpeg

I started out wearing the disposable masks I use when I am sanding razors for restoration. But, considering they were becoming a hot commodity, and I still wanted to sand razors, I bought a bunch of different style masks off etsy... including one that makes it look like I have a handlebar mustache.

I have them in a rotation, and tend to use one per day. The next day, I take the one I used the day before and toss it in the laundry, and the next clean one comes out for that day.

I start back to work next week, so I think that rotation will still work well.

@Toothpick before we were sent home for COVID, one of my co-workers was wearing one of those into the office. He would keep it on all day long (how he manged that, I have no idea!). It was hysterical to listen to him on a conference call. You couldnt understand a thing he was saying, as it all just sounded like a giant mumble and we would ask him to repeat himself over and over.

I have one of those resporators, as well, but its sitting on my work bench int he garage, covered in dust. :D

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can barely inhale without a mask; wearing one is very nearly impossible. What really sucks is I'm an RN on permanent disability, so I know how important they are.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I alternate.

Got some non-woven masks from Walgreen's a while back, one of which is always hanging from my rear-view mirror so it can catch UV rays. Moreover, I spray 'em down with 97% IPA when I'm through wearing one.

Also have some tri-laminate cloth masks that I hand wash.

Finally, I've got some good old bandannas that I wear while holding up convenience stores and the like.

I alternate.

Got some non-woven masks from Walgreen's a while back, one of which is always hanging from my rear-view mirror so it can catch UV rays. Moreover, I spray 'em down with 97% IPA when I'm through wearing one.

Also have some tri-laminate cloth masks that I hand wash.

Finally, I've got some good old bandannas that I wear while holding up convenience stores and the like.
My UV actuated transition lens in my glasses do not darken behind a windshield. The masks may not get too much UV rays behind a windshield.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Totally unrelated, but when has that ever stopped me?

I recently got some new glasses, and I always hated the fact that they don't stay dark once you're in your car for a few minutes.

These new ones get EXTREMELY dark in UV, then stay probably half that dark in the car! They are actually every bit as dark as my Rx sunglasses! Kinda makes me mad that I don't need those "buy one get one free" sunglasses. I would like to have another pair of regular glasses!

And yes, short of an autoclave, not much is better at killing things than the inside of your car on a sunny day!

How many innocent wasps die inside a parked car every day in America?!?

Mostly disposable surgical masks, but I now have several washable ones for rotation, and wear the one with 3 layers (supposedly better protection) the most. Here's one in rotation. And my Covid 19 selfie haircut.
00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200424171939800_COVER.jpg

I wear a surgical mask. I had bought a box 2 years ago because of some immune system issues. Never used them back then. I change it every 2 weeks or so. Many of the grocery stores around here give them out as well.

Top Bottom