What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Karve uses a 10-32 thread. Says so on the website.

If you try to put a M5 post in a karve handle, it is not going to fit.

If you put the Karve 10-32 head on a M5 handle, it will fit, but there is a possibility that if the M5 handle is sloppily threaded it might not hold the 10-32 thread tight, and you could damage some threads (metals would determine which would be damaged). If it is stainless in stainless, its going to be dependent on the hardness of each piece.

I really like my Karve, so much I might order one in stainless also!

Good luck!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yep MMMV. No prob here. Very smooth [emoji106]
proxy.php

BTW Gentile pictured but fits my Piccolo exactly as well as one would expect. Both Mk1 and Mk2.

Two washers required on my Schone.

proxy.php

No worries, @jmudrick :)

Looks workable, just not for me. My fear is the stress of tightening could cause damage to the slightly mismatched threads.

No worries, @jmudrick :)

Looks workable, just not for me. My fear is the stress of tightening could cause damage to the slightly mismatched threads.
No surprise with Fatip that we have a Your Threads May Vary situation. I wouldn't force it either. I'm 4 for 4 on mine though. Maybe it's Karve. Ha, not bloody likely.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My take, if you’re threading brass onto steel and the threads aren’t a mechanical match eg, 10-32 vs M5 the brass will eventually suffer as it is markedly softer. Just saying

My take, if you’re threading brass onto steel and the threads aren’t a mechanical match eg, 10-32 vs M5 the brass will eventually suffer as it is markedly softer. Just saying
Karve and Fatip be brass in my case. All theoretical, I don't feel particular need to use the brass Karve handle, the Grande and Schone handles are fine in my Fatip world. The vintage razors where I use the Karve handle would all be brass and 10-32 (AFAIK)

Agree, I wouldn't mess with brass/steel with thread mismatch

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just have a "dumb" question and would like to hear your opinion.
So I'm thinking about buying a Karve brass razor with either a c or d plate, maybe both. Now I'm actually considering just the cap and base plates, not the handle.
I was wondering if I can use a SS handle with the Karve since I have a few at home.
What's your advise? Thanks
Sorry we got a bit sidetracked. ;)

To answer your question: yes, you can use stainless handles on brass heads as long as you are very careful not to crank things down to excess.

Stainless is a lot harder than brass. The brass will deform.

I am curious to see if there are other reasons why mixing stainless handles is a bad idea.

Does the matte finish Timeless shave the same as the Ti?
Sorry we got a bit sidetracked. ;)

To answer your question: yes, you can use stainless handles on brass heads as long as you are very careful not to crank things down to excess.

Stainless is a lot harder than brass. The brass will deform.

I am curious to see if there are other reasons why mixing stainless handles is a bad idea.
[/QUOTE

Guess I might as well go full brass. Get the full Karve set up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Guess I might as well go full brass. Get the full Karve set up.

Again, you can use your stainless handle with the Karve head. Just be careful to not over tighten things.

I use a Timeless Ti handle and 0.68-SB plate with a Timeless Scalloped Brass cap. I am aware when I tighten things up and have never had an issue.

Also used Maggard MR11 stainless handles with my vintage Gillettes. Now I use Brass or Ti handles. In all cases, do not over tighten.

Just my experience and opinion.

Again, you can use your stainless handle with the Karve head. Just be careful to not over tighten things.

I use a Timeless Ti handle and 0.68-SB plate with a Timeless Scalloped Brass cap. I am aware when I tighten things up and have never had an issue.
I have piles of nylon washers and use them. I swap handles all the time.

Also used Maggard MR11 stainless handles with my vintage Gillettes. Now I use Brass or Ti handles. In all cases, do not over tighten.

Just my experience and opinion.

I appreciate your input.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@Rhody

Any pics of that polished razor yet? There's been some whispering that it doesn't really exist!! So far you are the only person on 3 forums I frequent that supposedly received one...
I feel special? Lucky or ......
Ilk try to get around to pic
I still haven't used it yet.

I know there are multiple threads comparing Razorock Gamechanger and Karve but they're general and none of them specifically compare Karve B plate(0.73mm)safety bar with the GC. 84P safety Bar. So for those of you who have experience with specifically these 2 which 1 do you prefer??

I have a Karve C, D, E, F and E OC. The C is way too mild, at least for me, so the B plate would be unusable. The Gamechanger .84 is a very smooth shave but far more efficient than my Karve C plate. I'd say the GC is closer to the Karve D or even E, although the Karve E is a little more harsh feeling than the GC.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I know there are multiple threads comparing Razorock Gamechanger and Karve but they're general and none of them specifically compare Karve B plate(0.73mm)safety bar with the GC. 84P safety Bar. So for those of you who have experience with specifically these 2 which 1 do you prefer??

What are your priorities for a razor?

Efficiency? Mellow? Blade support? Weight?

I have both, shave with both, enjoy both and get great results with both.

But they do shave differently.

How do I choose which one to use? Really depends on my mood.

So.....knowing what your goals are will help me focus on the appropriate traits of each razor. :)

What are your priorities for a razor?

Efficiency? Mellow? Blade support? Weight?

I have both, shave with both, enjoy both and get great results with both.

But they do shave differently.

How do I choose which one to use? Really depends on my mood.

So.....knowing what your goals are will help me focus on the appropriate traits of each razor. :)
I already have the GC .84P. It's by far my number 1 razor. The only thing that I have lately been wondering is what it would be like to have that same unbelievable smoothness but with no blade feel which as far as I understand is what the Karve B plate offers(Also the RR GC .68 but i wonder if that might be a bit too mild and inefficient)

I have a Karve C, D, E, F and E OC. The C is way too mild, at least for me, so the B plate would be unusable. The Gamechanger .84 is a very smooth shave but far more efficient than my Karve C plate. I'd say the GC is closer to the Karve D or even E, although the Karve E is a little more harsh feeling than the GC.

Which Karve has the most similar blade feel to the GC.84P in your opinion. Technically it should be the Karve C as far as I understoos since it's 0.85mm gap which is almost identical. But I'm looking for a plate that has no blade(or almost) feel which I here is the B plate

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I already have the GC .84P. It's by far my number 1 razor. The only thing that I have lately been wondering is what it would be like to have that same unbelievable smoothness but with no blade feel which as far as I understand is what the Karve B plate offers(Also the RR GC .68 but i wonder if that might be a bit too mild and inefficient)

Thank you for the additional information.

The Karve SB-B, the RR GC68-P and the RR Mamba 70 are all wonderful razors and are in the same 'grouping' for mildness, efficiency and blade feel.

I have a lot of respect for the RR GC84-P. Paired with my preference in blade and handle, it is capable of outstanding results:

Shave 20200519
20200519_105353~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock GC84-P (CG Copper Maze Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip (Marbled Butterscotch Handle)
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Bowl: Bamboo for 'Dipping the Tips'
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray (Drakkar Noir clone)

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Sometimes it's nice to revisit an old shaving companion and see how they are holding up when viewed through the lens of new and varied experiences.

The RazoRock GC84-P was one of my early acquisitions after finding B&B. It always impressed me as being an efficient yet smooth razor.

Reading about the shaves @Cal has been getting with his GC84-P, I scheduled it for my Tuesday shave, mated up with a Charcoal Goods Copper Maze handle and a Silver Star blade.

This combination exceeded my expectations in every way: smooth, efficient without being aggressive, face feel, balance, maneuverability and results are all top notch.

I had forgotten how much I like this razor.

Highly recommended. :)

My suggestion is to concentrate on your technique and really get it dialed in on the GC84-P. I'm not sure that the Karve SB-B will meet your stated need.

YMMV :)

Top Bottom