What's new

Muhle R-41 Relook

A few years ago when I first started the wet shaving experience I declared, rightly so, the Muhle R-41 to be the most dangerous razor in the world. I promptly got rid of mine and included a band-aid in the shipment to the buyer.

I have now moved across many DE, Injector, and shavettes into the straight razor minefield. By and large I have enjoyed a good level of success. I have developed a very gentle and relaxed (but attentive) technique of shaving while respecting these razors.

Last week I saw an ad for the Muhle R-41 and, I suppose due to the boredom of Covid-19 isolation, I ordered one. I have now enjoyed 3 very pleasing shaves with this open comb razor. No cuts or nicks and a very smooth shave.

They are no longer the most dangerous razor in the world... but still bear watching.

They must have changed how they are making them... the only possible explanation.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A few years ago when I first started the wet shaving experience I declared, rightly so, the Muhle R-41 to be the most dangerous razor in the world. I promptly got rid of mine and included a band-aid in the shipment to the buyer.

I have now moved across many DE, Injector, and shavettes into the straight razor minefield. By and large I have enjoyed a good level of success. I have developed a very gentle and relaxed (but attentive) technique of shaving while respecting these razors.

Last week I saw an ad for the Muhle R-41 and, I suppose due to the boredom of Covid-19 isolation, I ordered one. I have now enjoyed 3 very pleasing shaves with this open comb razor. No cuts or nicks and a very smooth shave.

They are no longer the most dangerous razor in the world... but still bear watching.

They must have changed how they are making them... the only possible explanation.
The Beast has not changed (since 2013). Your technique has.

I read somewhere that there was a redesign from the 1st generation R41 that made it slightly more mild. Am I right on this?

I got the R41 when it first came out and promptly traded it on the forum. With time passing, technique improved, and cover boredom as well, maybe I'll give it another try, too.

I read somewhere that there was a redesign from the 1st generation R41 that made it slightly more mild. Am I right on this?

I got the R41 when it first came out and promptly traded it on the forum. With time passing, technique improved, and cover boredom as well, maybe I'll give it another try, too.
There have been multiple R41 versions. The one known as the 2011 version is more aggressive than the current wider cap version.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

There have been multiple R41 versions. The one known as the 2011 version is more aggressive than the current wider cap version.

Thanks for clarifying. It's good that they made it milder. I thought that 2011 version was bordering on dangerous!

A few years ago when I first started the wet shaving experience I declared, rightly so, the Muhle R-41 to be the most dangerous razor in the world. I promptly got rid of mine and included a band-aid in the shipment to the buyer...

:lol: One of the funniest posts I’ve read in ages.

I held off buying mine until I’d been shaving with a DE for almost 4 years, had a month’s worth of growth to get rid of and had gotten the hang of shaving with an adjustable. It was my treat for going without shaving for a month.

It’s definitely a razor to use once you‘ve got a good few years of experience behind you. You can actually enjoy shaving with it then!

I made this post recently in another thread, but putting it here again seems more appropriate. I have actually used the original beast now three times. It's challenging, but I think the years using the milder version has made using it way less dangerous.

I've been using a late model R41 exclusively for close to seven years now. The whole shaving thing has again become routine, and honeymoon of double edge shaving has long past. I guess it happens...
With that said, I do have a couple of the original R41s that I had put away years ago, and never thought about them until reading here yesterday. My usual R41 has become a non adventure, so I thought, what would it be like to give the early version a go. I dug into my box of old soaps, razors and aftershaves that I had purchased when this was all still new and exciting. I brought it into the bathroom and measured it up visually against the newer version to see just how much of that blade was showing. To my surprise, quite a bit more... It would have to wait until the next mornings shower and shave however.
This morning I went in to take my shower, and looked over at the razor waiting patiently for me. I will admit that I was starting to feel a bit apprehensive at the thought of shaving again with "the beast", but also kind of excited to try something new again.
The time had come to put one of my usual Personna lab blades into the razor and get it on. As I was twisting the handle onto the head, I could feel the end edges of the blade protruding from the ends of the cap, which I don't on the late model. I figured just shave like I was using my old friend, but with a bit more caution. The first stroke spoke to me in it's clean sweep of three day old beard growth. I thought this would be no big deal, but then felt the slightest something as I turned the razor from cheek to around the jaw line. I thought I had cut myself, but no blood was visible from the area just covered. I know sometimes it takes a couple of seconds to decide if a cut wants to bleed or not, but it never did. It did remind me to pay attention, and this was NOT my usual razor. The rest of the save, which was a two pass only with and across the grain, went smoothly. And I mean smoothly. In the end, it felt like a closer shave than a three pass late model R41. My skin hadn't felt like this after a shave since I don't know when. That feeling of being slightly exfoliated as well as shaved.
Will I use this razor as my everyday go to now? Not a chance. There was a reason I put it away all those years ago. I'll be more than happy to take it out for a spin on occasion, but I'm perfectly happy with the one I'm using now.
Maybe I'll give the old Merkur Futur out for a spin next.

Thanks for clarifying. It's good that they made it milder. I thought that 2011 version was bordering on dangerous!
The 2011 and the 2013 are two totally different razors. Use the 2011 with respect and its a great razor. The 2013 on the other hand is almost a mindless shaver.

I bought your first R41 and probably still have the band aids. Let me know if I should send them back your way! :)

If you really want aggression with more smoothness and a slimmer profile, try the Ikon Tech. It's everything you want your R41 to be.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If you really want aggression with more smoothness and a slimmer profile, try the Ikon Tech. It's everything you want your R41 to be.

The Ikon TEK is certainly an aggressive razor. I've never shaved with the 2011 Mühle R41 and am unable to offer a comparison.

There is one razor in my Den I have that I have not yet tried: The SCHEERMES ROEDTER 1909 TITAN (aka "Defective Fatip" and "Razor Blade on a Stick")

@Raven Koenes @Polarbeard and @Esox discuss it at length on:

Here is a pic from that thread:

18028610ml.jpg

I'd like to find a 2011 R41 some day just to compare it, the Ikon TEK and the Roedter 1909. :)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The Ikon TEK is certainly an aggressive razor. I've never shaved with the 2011 Mühle R41 and am unable to offer a comparison.

There is one razor in my Den I have that I have not yet tried: The SCHEERMES ROEDTER 1909 TITAN (aka "Defective Fatip" and "Razor Blade on a Stick")

View attachment 1105613

I'd like to find a 2011 R41 some day just to compare it, the Ikon TEK and the Roedter 1909. :)
I really love the horizontal cutting angle on my Roedter 1909. The way the handle secures the blade with the baseplate and cap make it much easier to use than vice grips. Did you know the original Muhle r41 used a Mk1 Fatip head in 2008? It did. Then they went down hill from there, for a moment, when they switched to the negative blade exposure Merkur OC before the 2011 r41.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really love the horizontal cutting angle on my Roedter 1909. The way the handle secures the blade with the baseplate and cap make it much easier to use than vice grips. Did you know the original Muhle r41 used a Mk1 Fatip head in 2008? It did. Then they went down hill from there, for a moment, when they switched to the negative blade exposure Merkur OC before the 2011 r41.

I did not know that about the 2008 R41.

Learn something new every day. :)

View attachment 1105613

30 Euros shipping? Ouch.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
30 Euros shipping? Ouch.

Yup, for a rebranded destroyed Fatip. You could basically take a Fatip into the driveway and run it over, but it might take a few of them to get it right. Shipping from the Netherlands is quite pricey, but I think worth it for the reasons stated above. :wink2: :w00t:

Top Bottom