What's new

Us Razor, by Bic

There may be two new offerings from Bic. Saw a razor called US by Bic, sold as a unisex razor. Blades come in a four-pack for around $10 US. Didn't pay much attention to that, but when I looked into it, saw that it has a center pivot rather than a gate latch. That intrigued me enough that I bought one.

Have seen no ads for Us. The box bills it as a "Head to toe shave for all of us," which is clearly unisex, but doesn't creep me out. The "Head to toe shave" does. I'm an not into that sort of thing. It just gives me a creepy feeling.

I picked the silver handle. Yes, it has a metal handle, with a rubberized grip on the underside.

Opening it was a distinct Harry's Razors vibe. Inside it has "Where do you want to shave today?" which creeped me out more. But, unlike Harry's, the blade attachment seems more secure. I liked that. And yes, it does have a center pivot. I like that, too.

A Bic product, the razor is made in Greece.

Will be trying it out soon. My experience with Bic is mixed. Love the DE blades; hate the single blade disposables.

As to the why Bic came up with the Us, I think it's more a reflection on woman using "men's" razors, sometimes at a discount over "women's" products. I also think it's to appeal to the Harry's Razor users. And no, the razor doesn't look feminine at all. It's just a razor, and that's probably the point.

First shave:

The handle had a cheap feel, due to the placement of metal, plastic, and rubber. Looks good; feels cheap. The cartridge gives that impression, too, and is surprisingly noisy as it pivots. Have never observed that before in any cartridge razor.

The shave...well, the only way I can describe it is sweet. Didn't feel the same level of pulling I get from cartridges. All multi-blades have some pull to them, and this feels less. Five blades, and it felt somewhere around a two blade. Maybe even one blade, but it will take another shave to be sure. The blades are sharp. Have the impression that they're on the same level as the Bic DE blades, and that's saying something. I enjoyed the center pivot more than the gate hinge arrangement that's taken over cartridge shaving. This is like an Atra or Sensor on steroids.

The cartridge has a small trimming blade, which I didn't need. Assume it's the same sharpness as the others.

Maybe it's just because it's the newest razor in the medicine cabinet, but I think I like it better than Harry's.

So is this the same as "Made for You"? The "Us" I couldn't even find on the Bic site. But I have seen it in Dollar General brick and mortars as well as on their website.

They want $10 for 4 carts. Approaching Gillette prices.
In fact, that's what DG is selling a pack of 4 Mach3 carts for.

Attachments

• us_silver_razor_fb.jpg
    us_silver_razor_fb.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 11
  • syrup2sl-a-blk_box.jpg
    syrup2sl-a-blk_box.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 11
I believe Us is the same razor as Made for You. Where I live, I picked up a four-pack of Us carts for $7.99, which was about $5 cheaper than a four-pack of Mach 3 carts and also a little cheaper than the refills on Amazon.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Because the handles looked the same, I assumed they were the same. I just tried to fit an Us cartridge on the Made for You (MFY) and it didn't fit. The MFY appears to use a Mach 3-like fitting and blade hinge arrangement while the Us uses a Mach 3 fitting with a more traditional pivot arrangement. Wish I would have known that before I bought the cartridges. Never mind, I'm an idiot, I just didn't push the cartridge on hard enough, it fits.

Last edited:
I believe Us is the same razor as Made for You. Where I live, I picked up a four-pack of Us carts for $7.99, which was about $5 cheaper than a four-pack of Mach 3 carts and also a little cheaper than the refills on Amazon.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Because the handles looked the same, I assumed they were the same. I just tried to fit an Us cartridge on the Made for You (MFY) and it didn't fit. The MFY appears to use a Mach 3-like fitting and blade hinge arrangement while the Us uses a Mach 3 fitting with a more traditional pivot arrangement. Wish I would have known that before I bought the cartridges. Never mind, I'm an idiot, I just didn't push the cartridge on hard enough, it fits.
Other than the different connector, is there any difference compared to the Flex 5 hybrid? I just ordered the hybrid to try it out.

Other than the different connector, is there any difference compared to the Flex 5 hybrid? I just ordered the hybrid to try it out.
I posted about that a couple of months ago, actually; here's the link: New offering from Bic - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-offering-from-bic.586014/page-2#post-10678430.

My short answer is that while I think the Flex5 Hybrid is slightly better, the Us is no slouch and is a pretty darn good razor: feels great in the hand, shaves smoothly and comfortably, and overall does an excellent job. I may wind up switching to the Us because I can get the carts locally without having to buy another handle I don't need or resorting to ordering on Amazon.

I'd also have to say that the lube strip on the Us is slightly better than the one on the Hybrid, which may be why it feels so much smoother. If there's any difference in sharpness between the blades, it's minimal and could be explained by minute variations between cartridges.

I posted about that a couple of months ago, actually; here's the link: New offering from Bic - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-offering-from-bic.586014/page-2#post-10678430.

My short answer is that while I think the Flex5 Hybrid is slightly better, the Us is no slouch and is a pretty darn good razor: feels great in the hand, shaves smoothly and comfortably, and overall does an excellent job. I may wind up switching to the Us because I can get the carts locally without having to buy another handle I don't need or resorting to ordering on Amazon.
Thanks. I just ordered 2 packs of Flex 5s with 6 carts each from Walgreens and with a $3 coupon and buy one get 50% off one it came out to $1.35 per cart, including tax and free shipping to a local Walgreens, which is less than the $2.50 per cart for “Us”. Actually my limit for a cart is usually $1 each but I have heard such good things about the Flex 5. Plus I had points to redeem so I actually paid 51 cents per cart if you factor that in.

Btw, I am still not clear on the refills for Bic Hybrids. Some say refills not sold separetly, some don’t, but I saw some Flex 5 refills on Amazon. I have the Flex 2 through 4 hybrids but have only tried the 2 so far, which I like.

I get my Flex 5 Hybrid refills from Amazon, usually buying two four-packs at a shot. My wife loves the Flex 2; I found it a little too light and a little too harsh for my tastes, but it did shave well.

I get my Flex 5 Hybrid refills from Amazon, usually buying two four-packs at a shot. My wife loves the Flex 2; I found it a little too light and a little too harsh for my tastes, but it did shave well.
My first shave with the Flex 2 was a bit harsh and left some redness but since then I haven’t had any issues. You have to use a lighter touch than normal for a cart, similar to using a DE. Now I do 3 passes with no irritation. And the carts last long. I have used the first cart 8 times already and it is still good. I havent used it in a few weeks but will use it again soon probably.

Btw, the handles for the Comfort 3 hybrid, and the Flex Hybrid 2 and 3 are exactly the same, just different colors. The Flex 4 hybrid handle is light too but with some rubber, and will take flex 2 and 3 carts. I haven’t tried the Flex 4 yet, but putting a Flex 4 cart on a Flex 2 handle makes it pivot more smoothly. The springy tab on the 4 handle is too thick for the slot on the cart, which is the same size as on the 2 and 3. I am not sure who designed this but they messed up.
Do you know if the Flex 5 handle takes the lower carts, and how is the pivot?
Thanks

Last edited:
I guess this is as good a thread as any for my further comments.

Top Bottom