What's new

The best tuxedo knot

I have several brush handles, and I'd like to put tuxedo knots in some of them. They're almost all bored for 26mm knots, so I'd like to find out which vendors carry some of the best tuxedos. I've definitely noticed a difference between tuxedo knots in brushes I've gotten in the past: some are silky soft whereas others have a cheaper feel. I've heard AP Shave Co sells a very good one, but unfortunately they only seem to carry them in 24mm and 30mm. I want to set these myself, so I'm not looking for recommendations of brushmakers to send the handles to. Thanks for any recommendations you can give!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I wonder what kind of bristles @Graydog put in the wonderful brush he made me? It's the only synthetic I've ever even held, but it is superb, in my obviously limited experience. It was supplied by Mr @never-stop-learning .

It is either a Full Moon or a Silver Synth. :)

Both are superb, in my opinion, synthetic knots.

@Graydog - Steve - will know which one he put in the brush you got. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20200510_143036426~4.jpg

The all seeing eye handle, by @Graydog !

I hear a lot of good reviews on TurnNShave's quartermoon knot which is a Fan Tuxedo knot. I think Maggard also sells 26mm black and white knot and I've heard good things about it.

I thought of AP, but I only see 24mm and 30mm listed, which is odd. Didn't think of Milton, though, or Maggard! They carry good ones?
Contact Andrew at AP. Maybe he just sold out of 26 and 28mm tuxedos. I haven't used Maggard's tuxedos but I would imagine Milton's knots are better.

TurnNShave vs APShaveCo tuxedo knots are night and day different!! If you prefer a stiff scratchy knot then AP is the way to go... Miltons knots have much softer tips and medium to light backbone depending on how you set the knot.

TurnNShave vs APShaveCo tuxedo knots are night and day different!! If you prefer a stiff scratchy knot then AP is the way to go... Miltons knots have much softer tips and medium to light backbone depending on how you set the knot.

Hmm, interesting; definitely good to know! Sounds like I'd like the TNS knot more.

I have a 30mm ap tuxedo and the tips are very soft! I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
I should've specified that it was the 24mm version that I'd had in the past... Al only sells 24mm & 30mm but Milton sells 22, 24, 26, & 30mm though. I had heard the APShaveCo 30mm was a better knot but have never even entertained the thought of a knot that large!! I remember the Timberwolf @ 26mm was pushing it for me and still is to this day but glad I did get it though.

Turn-n-shave knots are the bomb when it comes to synthetic knots!

TnS:
-Angel hair (cashmere fan)
-Quarter moon (tuxedo fan)
-Full moon (silvertip synthetic bulb)
are in my top 5 synthetic knots of all time!

-Frank Shaving G4
-Yaqi plissoft
are the other two.

Honorable mentions to Yaqi brown "pony" knot and DS cosmetic "extra soft" knot (I wish they would give it a proper name!).

Muhle/EJ STF is still the best and I don't grade it with the rest as it is in a league of its own!

Turn-n-shave knots are the bomb when it comes to synthetic knots!

TnS:
-Angel hair (cashmere fan)
-Quarter moon (tuxedo fan)
-Full moon (silvertip synthetic bulb)
are in my top 5 synthetic knots of all time!

-Frank Shaving G4
-Yaqi plissoft
are the other two.

Honorable mentions to Yaqi brown "pony" knot and DS cosmetic "extra soft" knot (I wish they would give it a proper name!).

Muhle/EJ STF is still the best and I don't grade it with the rest as it is in a league of its own!

Yes, I definitely LOVE my 23mm STF brush. It's one of my absolute favorite synthetics. Do you know if there's a way to buy just the STF knot by itself? Because if I could snag the 25mm knots, wow that'd be great.

Reactions: nav
So I picked up a TurnNShave tuxedo, quartermoon, full moon, and Silversynth, all 26mm knots; the full moon because it is the closest to a Duro knot you can still find and I love the Duro, and the Silversynth because it's just an awesome all-around great performer.

Top Bottom