What's new

Thoughts on merkur progress or mergress?

Hello everyone. I've been thinking on getting a merkur progress but am afraid of the quality control issues I've read about. I've also thought about getting the Mergress but the price seems to be quite expensive.
Any opinions on these two?

I can't speak for the mergress as I've never used one, but the Progress is a fantastic razor. One of the best. I have had no quality control issues with mine.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Progress is great. The only quality issue that I hear coming up over and over is the alignment of the numbers on the adjustment dial. However, that is a relative setting to your shaving preference. If you settle in on a number 3 shave on your razor, that number 3 will be a number 3 always. Who cares if it’s not the same as a number 3 setting in another razor. It’s all relative. Or the dot doesn’t line up with the line for the first setting. Not an issue for me.

if you do care, then get a Mergress. It’s a work of art. The razor has been finely tuned as well. So the adjustment numbers are all lined up nice and tidy. I got a Mergress, and promptly sold the Progress to my buddy. There was no point keeping the progress after shaving with the a Mergress. But had I not gotten the Mergress I would have been perfectly fine just keeping the progress. They are both quite good.

I have neither. It's a razor that interests me and that I'd like to try. But I find the plastic knob unbearably ugly and I won't pay over $100 for a razor.

Like you, I was concerned about the quality of the Progress and the cost of the Mergress. Thus, I purchased a Parker Variant and never looked back. The quality is very good and the price is reasonable. Equipped with the right blade for your beard, it will give a great shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Many years ago I faced the same issue. I purchased the Mergress and used it happily for a good long time before ending up with stainless razors.

Hello everyone. I've been thinking on getting a merkur progress but am afraid of the quality control issues I've read about. I've also thought about getting the Mergress but the price seems to be quite expensive.
I have had a Progress for 7 years or so, and mine didn't have the number alignment problem that many have mentioned. That said, while I enjoy the razor, I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money on the Mergress that still has the Zamac head: the threads on mine are starting to get chalky, which could indicate the end of the Progress's life is near.

I have had the Progress for 7 years now and have no issues with it; in fact it is my favourite razor. It zeros on the "+" which is an acceptable point of reference as I usually shave on 2.5 to 3 setting. I particularly like the ivory adjusting knob which reflects the 50s/60s era when bakelite was in use and the period when the razor dates from. I thought about the Mergress but never felt it added much to the razor except weight; the razor already had weight anyway so did not need more.

Buy a Progress on a BST. They often show up for about $40. I got a 70s issue gold Progress and would never part with it. Personally I don't like the Mergress having no issue with the knob and balance of the original. And you could pick up a backup Progress for the price of that knob. I'm sure the Parker is fine, Progress I prefer for its looks and history.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I love the Progress.
Me too. And the knob is such a period look. If you think it's ugly then don't get behind the wheel of a '50s vintage German car! @fmueller
1590175180095.png

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I can't speak for the mergress as I've never used one, but the Progress is a fantastic razor. One of the best. I have had no quality control issues with mine.
The Progress is great. The only quality issue that I hear coming up over and over is the alignment of the numbers on the adjustment dial. However, that is a relative setting to your shaving preference. If you settle in on a number 3 shave on your razor, that number 3 will be a number 3 always. Who cares if it’s not the same as a number 3 setting in another razor. It’s all relative. Or the dot doesn’t line up with the line for the first setting. Not an issue for me.

if you do care, then get a Mergress. It’s a work of art. The razor has been finely tuned as well. So the adjustment numbers are all lined up nice and tidy. I got a Mergress, and promptly sold the Progress to my buddy. There was no point keeping the progress after shaving with the a Mergress. But had I not gotten the Mergress I would have been perfectly fine just keeping the progress. They are both quite good.
I have had a Progress for 7 years or so, and mine didn't have the number alignment problem that many have mentioned. That said, while I enjoy the razor, I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money on the Mergress that still has the Zamac head: the threads on mine are starting to get chalky, which could indicate the end of the Progress's life is near.
I have had the Progress for 7 years now and have no issues with it; in fact it is my favourite razor. It zeros on the "+" which is an acceptable point of reference as I usually shave on 2.5 to 3 setting. I particularly like the ivory adjusting knob which reflects the 50s/60s era when bakelite was in use and the period when the razor dates from. I thought about the Mergress but never felt it added much to the razor except weight; the razor already had weight anyway so did not need more.
Buy a Progress on a BST. They often show up for about $40. I got a 70s issue gold Progress and would never part with it. Personally I don't like the Mergress having no issue with the knob and balance of the original. And you could pick up a backup Progress for the price of that knob. I'm sure the Parker is fine, Progress I prefer for its looks and history.

I love the Progress.
Me too. And the knob is such a period look. If you think it's ugly then don't get behind the wheel of a '50s vintage German car! @fmueller
View attachment 1103563

What all of these fine gentlemen said +1. :)

I used my Merkur Progress exclusively from 2013 to 2019 and got consistently excellent shaves.

Never had any reliability issues. The numbers might not line up perfectly but, in practice, that is not an issue - for me, at least.

YMMV :)

Don't have a Mergress to compare to but my Progress has no problems. The numbers line up reasonably well. The blade's always aligned correctly and I always get great shaves from it. I'm not sure how a Mergress could be better unless you just like the look of the chrome knob more.

Don't have a Mergress to compare to but my Progress has no problems. The numbers line up reasonably well. The blade's always aligned correctly and I always get great shaves from it. I'm not sure how a Mergress could be better unless you just like the look of the chrome knob more.
Or prefer balance shifted down the handle, which personally don't.

The progress is an outstanding razor.

The latest version cast from the new dies doesn't seem to have any blade alignment or quality control issues.

The only "issue" being that when fully tightened, the numbers may align slightly differently to another Progress. This doesn't cause any issues as once you find the setting that works for you, you stick with it. Even if yours was the same as everyone else's, you'd still need to find your own perfect shave anyway.

It's a razor I would highly recommend.

P.S. I should note that the Progress is a very head heavy razor, with the balance point only a few mm away from the head. The Mergress will be more balanced due to the heavier adjustment knob, although I can't vouch for the balance as I don't have one myself.

Top Bottom