What's new

Adjustable for a Double Edge Newbie?

An adjustable seems like the logical choice here
"Adjustable" can mean two things.

First, there are the vintage and modern adjustables that you can adjust on-the-fly, and then there are 3-piece razors with multiple plates, where you can adjust the experience by unscrewing the handle and fitting a different plate.

I'm a fan of the multiple plates option, because you get the simplicity, reliability and firmly held-down blade of the non-adjustable, plus the option to try different blade gaps.

I have not tried the AS-D2, but since it is a premium product, give it a fair try, learn its ways, and if it works for you, "enjoy".

If you still don't like it after about 6 weeks, then it should be very easy to sell, for at least enough money to try a Rockwell 6S.

Hello. I see that people are suggesting you just stick with the Feather for the time being. I see the conventional wisdom in that. It is quite an expensive razor for your first time out and it would be sensible to just get used to DE before getting something else.

But if you are determined to have variety, I think there are a couple of things you could do. If your mind is made up with the adjustable, get a Gillette Slim. It's reasonably priced compared to the Fatboy and it's 95% the same. I don't suggest you get a Merkur Progress. It's very aggressive for a beginner.

But here is my opinion: don't get an adjustable.

I don't think you're going to use most of those settings anyway. I suggest you get either a Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Muhle R89. They are more aggressive than the Feather but not beyond what a beginner should be using. In fact, there is a Muhle R89 made for a company called WLDOHO that is the best deal there is to be had. It's available on Amazon for about $30. The WLDOHO has a Makassar ebony handle and is made from a gunmetal chrome that Muhle doesn't offer in their own line. It's GORGEOUS and it's German made. It's very difficult to find a razor of that quality and beauty for that kind of money elsewhere. I absolutely LOVE mine and I wish I had known about it sooner. It might be the last razor I buy because I don't think I could be happier with another razor.

I would also get yourself a variety blade pack.

"Adjustable" can mean two things.

First, there are the vintage and modern adjustables that you can adjust on-the-fly, and then there are 3-piece razors with multiple plates, where you can adjust the experience by unscrewing the handle and fitting a different plate.

I'm a fan of the multiple plates option, because you get the simplicity, reliability and firmly held-down blade of the non-adjustable, plus the option to try different blade gaps.

With all due respect, a 3-piece razors with multiple plates is not an adjustable, even if Rockwell advertises it as such.

There are no issues with reliability and firmly held down blades in millions of vintage Gillette adjustables, and modern adjustables, including Chines made razors that you can buy for pocket change. One notable exception is the Rockwell Model T, which despite an horrendous price has considerable quality control problems.

As an aside I did with the 89/asd2, I secretly got ( but have not used yet ) a used adjustable for the exact same reasons alluded to
STOP! You have a top of the line razor incoming. Stop and enjoy/figure it out... or not. I really don't see the purpose of adding an adjustable to the mix right now. Get the AS-D2 dialed in for a minute and then go for it. Just my opinion.

Listen to the Chef! He carries a big fish! (In all seriousness, listen to the Chef!)

All my life, I worked as an electro-mechanic and then retired to work as a cook and butcher.
I always have quality tools and sharp knives suited to my style of worker.

For example, the Global award-winning kitchen knives, which I find too light for me, I prefer heavier knives.
Since I prefer the Snap-On tools rather than the Craftman, with the Feather, I found the perfect razor for me.

You will understand that I am the man of a single instrument but that I will draw the maximum of potential with each use.

It is certain that some say they use an R41 only but rare are the daily shavers who use it. I love to shave daily and it is impossible for me with overly aggressive razors.

Maybe you will not like the Feather but as others have specified you will have a gem in your hands. But like other people you can become a collector of razors, which I am not.

Great advice above!!!

I would stick with your AS/D2 for a bit! It is a very fine razor on the mild end of the spectrum. Once you pair it with a Feather blade and nail the razor angle it should deliver!!

I also second the recommendation for a Slim (since you ‘need’ one anyway)!

:a29: :a29:

My AS-D2 arrived today and I will give it the maiden voyage in the next couple days. All great advice. I probably did something goofy by buying this as my first DE, but I don't mind spending $ on quality.

I do love the TTO mechanism and like the idea of something from the past so a Gillette Slim will be on the list at some point for sure. Now to watch some more technique videos and do more Wiki reading...

I don't think you can go wrong with the AS-D2, as many here have said. I have 13 razors, having started with a mild razor, and working my way through progressively more aggressive ones, a couple of adjustable ones, then back to mild with a sharp blade, all in a search for BBS and no irritation. I got an AS-D2 about 2 months ago and have barely touched my other razors since.
I just wanted to clarify one thing for you. Several posts pointed out the importance of angle on this razor, and that is spot on. But the easiest way to understand the angle is this - start with the head of the razor (the cap) against your face, and then slowly lower the handle until the blade just starts cutting. It's generally called 'riding the cap'. When it starts cutting, that's the angle you want to maintain. At the angle the blade is shearing off the whiskers rather than pulling or scraping. That's the way it works for me in any case.
If you do that with the AS-D2 and use no pressure, you'll get comfortable and very close shaves from it. It's a great razor.

Enjoy.

Trust me, buy a Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE razor & you can use it for a lifetime! The other razor that I use is a Feather Artist Club DX which is a straight razor. Yes, the Rex Ambassador is the only DE that I love and use.
Today shaving with it....😍

2782F413-F9A2-4791-9D53-08FD91FEACE6.jpeg

While there is plenty of room down here in the rabbit hole with the rest of us, probably the best advice you have had thus far is keep the feather. Learn to enjoy it and perfect your skill with it.

You’ll probably be better prepared to try a more aggressive razor in time if you perfect technique with this mild shaver already in hand.

As for the adjustable, you will likely spend the money to figure out what setting you like and rarely if ever change it.

If you just can’t kick the notion, go all in and buy a vintage safety razor lot from eBay that has a wide selection. Take you time trying what is included. It’s a decent way to scratch an itch for for something different as well as establishing a reference point for future comparisons between razors. Anything you decide isn’t for you will be easy to turn over or PIF for the benefit of others.

The more posts I read, the more I realize how many advanced shavers prefer a high quality mild razor with a sharp blade. That's the setup so many of us settle down with after a period of experimentation. You seem to be starting out with that!

I mean, this is a hobby after all. Do what you feel like you need to do. Just understand that your first razor is just the sort of thing a lot of us end up sticking with!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have read many say they started mild then went more aggressive because of course that is an 'upgrade', and a 'step up' to 'more advanced shaving'. Eventually once all the macho nonsense is out of the way they return to a milder razor, often with a sharp blade. I saw it described as being more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow and that has been my experience, so I would stick with the Feather at least for now. Unless of course you are like seemingly 95% of B&B members who have unusually sensitive skin but an incredibly tough beard 🤣

Do you need another razor than the AS-D2? No, probably never in your life. It will give you a fine shave, and and if that's what you are after, you are done.

Do people enjoy trying different razors? Sure! That's the reason forums like this one exist!

If you want to try an adjustable, go ahead, try an adjustable. It will be fun!

Here is how I would choose:

1. If you can get a good deal on a vintage Gillette adjustable in good shape, grab it. They are all great.

2. If you want a new adjustable and not break the bank, get a Ming Shi 3000S. You won't get any bragging rights here for owning one, but it's a vastly underappreciated razor that beats models costing several times that much hands down.

3. If you want to spend more, consider a Merkur Progress. I have not used one myself, but the model has been around for decades, so it can't be terrible. It's not made from brass though, but from an inferior alloy with a plastic knob, which makes it hard for me to justify the price.

4. Stay away from the Merkur Futur and it's Chinese clone (Ming Shi 2000) for the time being. Those are among the most aggressive razors on the market and you don't need that. Not now, and if you shave daily or every other day, not ever.

5. Unless you have a lot more money than sense, don't spend over US$100 on your second razor.

Enjoy!
Unless, I'm very mistaken the knob on the Mrkur Progress is Bakelite, not plastic. I love the Progress and its knob of whatever. It's been around unaltered since about 1955, if that tells anything.

Bakelite is plastic. It's a very early version of plastic, but still plastic.
I believe you are correct. My wording in my earlier post was a bit sloppy.

However, I understand Bakelite was commonly used on the knobs of some upscale German cars back in the day. To me, it's very fitting for a 1950's German razor such as the Merkur Progress and for the 1930's Schick Injector handles.

I don't necessarily like all plastics, though some are fine and clearly seem more durable than others. Bakelite has a certain nostalgia from yesteryear and I've never personally had the experience of Bakelite failing.

Good to hear from you, brother fmueller. Thanx for the clarification and the reminder.

Unless, I'm very mistaken the knob on the Mrkur Progress is Bakelite, not plastic. I love the Progress and its knob of whatever. It's been around unaltered since about 1955, if that tells anything.
The guard was the same material as the knob in its earliest versions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

I don't think I knew that, brother Mudrick. Did you ever shave with that earlier version? Any difference in performance?
No I haven't. I wish that were mine, alas not. I'm not sure when they changed the guard but I know the ones I've seen for sale and that's not many, the guards have been cracked. I'd still like to have one.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

While I agree with the consensus that you should perfect your techniques with your current razor, trying different stuff is fun, and you might find your true love. ;)
I highly recommend the Merkur Progress as an adjustable. I’ve had many adjustables, including the Slim, and the Progress is the smoothest adjustable I’ve experienced BY FAR!
It’s very, very comfortable and forgiving while being effective without being harsh.
While I like to change things up occasionally, my Progress has been my daily for years, and will always be my #1 adjustable razor. ;)
It’s also true that with any adjustable you will usually eventually find your favorite setting and rarely, if ever, change it.

Proraso with a Fusion? Was that a joke?
On a serious note though. My advice: Don't buy a second DE razor! Don't! You don't know if a DE razor will work with you. And you bought a very expensive razor. Just use it for 6-7 months with different blades.
One word: Slim
OK, two words: Gillette Slim
That post made my day.

Top Bottom