What's new

I just found a 1959 Gillette Fatboy found for $10! Not joking!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sigh.. no every collection doesn't. 200 or so razors, Fatboy Free and doing fine.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
I know, I know. Tonich will be along shortly. Just trying to be nice. :001_rolle

A Gillette collection would be remiss without one adjustable.

I know, I know. Tonich will be along shortly. Just trying to be nice. :001_rolle

A Gillette collection would be remiss without one adjustable.

Hehe yeah I get it. One can be an accomplished sport shaver or razor collector without being a Gillette collector, that's always my point. FWIW I do have these guys which were inadvertently acquired [emoji2]. Lovely razors.
proxy.php

Congrats to @Bobby Barbasol on the find, enjoy. Hopefully you'll land your namesake Barbasol Floating Head antiquing one day if you don't already have one!

Last edited:
Hehe yeah I get it. One can be an accomplished sport shaver or razor collector without being a Gillette collector, that's always my point. FWIW I do have these guys which were inadvertently acquired [emoji2]. Lovely razors.
proxy.php

Congrats to @Bobby Barbasol on the find, enjoy. Hopefully you'll land your namesake Barbasol Floating Head antiquing one day if you don't already have one!

I don't have one yet, though I'm set for razors for a long time lol. I have a decent collection but don't want to have too much. I may sell 3 razors that I don't use. I am a huge Barbasol fan even though lately I've been using Proraso and Stirling. A Floating Head would be a cool razor to have.

I don't have one yet, though I'm set for razors for a long time lol. I have a decent collection but don't want to have too much. I may sell 3 razors that I don't use. I am a huge Barbasol fan even though lately I've been using Proraso and Stirling. A Floating Head would be a cool razor to have.
Indeed, mine falls into the Cold Dead Hands category without question.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Great score! Makes me want to get back to Hoosier land, look for birth year razors in my birth state. My Pacific NW Slim was an outrageous 80% more, $18.

Actually, I like admiring the Slim and playing with the mechanism more than I like the shave. Getting a $10 Fatboy for it to live with is just a dream, though. The Gillette adjustables were a pinnacle of popularly available shave engineering. And my father’s razor of choice in the 1960s.

No open vintage/antique stores in Portland, OR yet.

Great score! Makes me want to get back to Hoosier land, look for birth year razors in my birth state. My Pacific NW Slim was an outrageous 80% more, $18.

Actually, I like admiring the Slim and playing with the mechanism more than I like the shave. Getting a $10 Fatboy for it to live with is just a dream, though. The Gillette adjustables were a pinnacle of popularly available shave engineering. And my father’s razor of choice in the 1960s.

No open vintage/antique stores in Portland, OR yet.

Oh boy! That's crazy. The Slim is a beautiful razor and probably my favorite razor along with the Gillette New SC

Oh boy! That's crazy. The Slim is a beautiful razor and probably my favorite razor along with the Gillette New SC

My grandad’s Old Type is my only Hoosier razor. I have to say, the New SC is my favorite vintage Gillette OC, so the Old Type doesn’t see much time in my rotation. The Slim would probably get more love if I allocated some time to learn it.

Additional note: Barbasol Sensitive, the cream in a tube not the aerosol, is my go to product when I need to shave and have zero time to get it done. What a great product, ahead of its time.

proxy.php

I have no plans to buy a Fatboy either and am seriously considering selling my Slim as its near the bottom of razors I choose to pick up.

Now if I ever find a Fatboy for $10 though I’ll be $10 poorer - at least until I decided to clean it up and resell it.

I have no plans to buy a Fatboy either and am seriously considering selling my Slim as its near the bottom of razors I choose to pick up.

Now if I ever find a Fatboy for $10 though I’ll be $10 poorer - at least until I decided to clean it up and resell it.

Sure, there are razors I pick up in a lot or are gifted to me that I don't use much but keep as reference when folks have questions about how this compares with that. I'd keep a $10 user grade Fatboy for that purpose, a nice one I'd sell (as I did).

Last edited:
Hello,

So today I was at this antique store today and was in the basement and found the barn doors of a safety razor. I looked inside and found a Fatboy. I couldn't read the price so I asked the lady and she told me that it was $10. I immediately paid for it. I am still completely stunned. I looked at the date code and it was E-1.

Here are the pics before I clean the thing. I don't need to do much to it.
Nice find![emoji846] I have about 5 of them that I found in the wild (mostly estate sales). One is even my birth year and quarter (D4). The prices are all lower than eBay.

Good luck and good hunting.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Nice find![emoji846] I have about 5 of them that I found in the wild (mostly estate sales). One is even my birth year and quarter (D4). The prices are all lower than eBay.

Good luck and good hunting.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Oh nice! One of these days, I would like a Fatboy razor for each year. I haven't tried a Fatboy yet but I have heard they're one of the best! I'll probably go to more antique stores around town and do more hunting!

Great find! I have an F1 and it's in my daily rotation. I haven't read the whole thread to see if you like it but if it doesn't give you great shaves it's very possible it just needs a tune up. Given how you acquired it it may have been knocked out of whack but looking at it I'd bet it's in excellent shave shape.

Top Bottom