What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

Prize Contest Details

May Be Obtained

At Football Broadcast

Every Saturday

Over WCCO

Burma-Shave

Hi,

WCCO is an AM station on 830 kilocycles (using the 1933 term) in Minneapolis. Must have been carrying college football games. They were Class A, 50 kW in 1933 and they were on 810 kHz back then (830 today and still Class A). They had two 300 foot towers to ensure a wide coverage.

I wonder what sort of signal fight they had with WGY in Schenectady NY on the same frequency? WCCO had their frequency changed to 830 kHz in 1941 when the FCC moved many Class A stations around so they didn't have so much night interference. They changed to a single 654 foot tower in 1939, and that was probably to knock down WGY in their primary coverage area.

They would have had a huge footprint during the day in 1933. I imagine these signs up to 1000 miles out from Minneapolis. Wickedly successful advertising, I imagine.

These days, WCCO is also a TV station in Minneapolis, the old channel 4.

Stan

When I lived in California, I used to listen to the clear channel station from Oklahoma City at night. I'll bet it went even farther to the east since it would have been downwind.

Hi,

Yep. The good old Ionosphere. The F-layers merge at night and form a nice reflector. Skip results. When I lived up in NY, I listened at night a lot to WBT from Charlotte. Now, in NC, I listen to WGY from Schenectady. And, in both places, WSM out of Nashville. I have this thing about 3-letter call stations which have been on the air since the beginning.

There are other stations, of course, from all over. And, not just the US. Plenty of frequencies to tune to once you get a receiver that covers more bands. Plus, a decent receiving antenna (which are different from transmitting ones). I use an old Kenwood TS430s ham transceiver for everything below 30 MHz, but my Rx antenna is a 500 foot longwire. Pulls in the Medium Frequency AM broadcast band well, too. It is also my transmitting antenna on the 160m ham band (1.8-2.0 MHz). I use all of 10 watts and that gets my signal worldwide at night. As I say, the good old Ionosphere. :)

But, back when I started with all this in 1968, I was using antique (even for then) tube radios. National, Hammerlund, Hallicrafters, etc. They all worked well for AM voice stations. And, CW morse code, of course. It was the more modern SSB that needed something newer. In the mid 70s I moved to Drake and the in the early 80s that Kenwood I am still using.

Never heard any Burma-Shave ads, though. :p

Stan

Hi,

Yep. The good old Ionosphere. The F-layers merge at night and form a nice reflector. Skip results. When I lived up in NY, I listened at night a lot to WBT from Charlotte. Now, in NC, I listen to WGY from Schenectady. And, in both places, WSM out of Nashville. I
Stan

I live about 20 miles NE of the iconic WSM tower, and although it comes in fine during the day, at night I'm right in the skip zone. They have an app though, so I stream it. Not quite the same though. When I was a kid, living in NE TN, I would listen to KMOX in St. Louis. Unfortunately, the house I live in now has metal studs, making it into a big Faraday shield. And the sodium street lamp outside my window emanates RF energy that contributes to my lousy nighttime AM reception. When I retire, I hope to find a place in the middle of nowhere, where my AM and Shortwave reception will be good. By then, of course, who knows if clear channel stations will even be a thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well I’m out. Got a test puck of MWF coming and paid shipping.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

As part of becoming a "Digital Minimalist," I've decided to only provide updates on the first Saturday of the month.

Bristly Beard

Or Silky Fuzz

Just Shave 'Em Back

To Where

They Was

Burma-Shave

Oops. Forgot Saturday's. I somehow lost a day here. Anyway, two today puts me back on track.

Stan

Last edited:
Well I’m out. Got a test puck of MWF coming and paid shipping.
I followed the conversation. Imo, helping brother out should not disqualify you. You were to be the judge of possibly faulty product. Best course of action would be carrying on regardless.

I followed the conversation. Imo, helping brother out should not disqualify you. You were to be the judge of possibly faulty product. Best course of action would be carrying on regardless.

+1 If you’re helping someone dial in a soap no way should that knock you out. Unless you want out?

That "Pink Tooth-
Brush"

Is A Curse

But That Pink Razor's

A Darn Sight Worse

Use

Burma-Shave

Hi,

Sounds Painful!

Stan

Top Bottom