What's new

Bowl Lathering Advice

I have a new finest badger hair brush that I got from Rudy Vey. Any suggestions on breaking in this new brush? Also, any ideas about the best way of loading the brush with soap or cream?

You break in a new brush by just using it.

Loading a brush with soap is simply twirling a wet brush around the soap. Creams in a tub can be done the same way. You can also take some of the cream in a tub or tube and either rub a bit on your face or put it in a bowl and use the brush to make lather.

You break in a new brush by just using it

Try to let it fully dry before the next use. This will speed up the process of the ends splitting. The after a few weeks, or so, the ends will be soft and your best lathering and face feel will be a reality.

Any suggestions on breaking in this new brush? Also, any ideas about the best way of loading the brush with soap or cream?
I usually soak a badger brush in warm water for short time and then work up the lather. Avoid mashing the brush as it will damage the fibres especially in the centre of the knot. They don't take much breaking in.
With creams I load with a teaspoon the right amount into a bowl as I lather in a scuttle. You can put that straight into the brush tips or spread that cream around the face and work up the lather. I usually load soaps off the puck for a set amount of time and that way you get consistency in the lather.Load time is dependent on how hard the soap is.
This will speed up the process of the ends splitting.
#Ackvil beat me to it; there is no split ends with a badger brush.

When I first started, the method that worked best for me was to 'scrape' small amount of soap from the tub and smear it in the bowl. I use a small pocket knife for the harder soaps and my finger for the soft soaps. I found it to be much easier to build lather when the soap was in the bowl already. I would practice making lather several times a day till I got the technique figured out and was able to consistently make good lather.
Attach15965_20200503_094548.jpg

What helped me is that I would start a timer to load my brush. I now face lather as it is easier and less time consuming. I have about 20 hard soaps so I will still be good for many years lol. Goodluck as I know how it is struggling with the soap but make sure you put enough water.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When I first started, the method that worked best for me was to 'scrape' small amount of soap from the tub and smear it in the bowl. I use a small pocket knife for the harder soaps and my finger for the soft soaps. I found it to be much easier to build lather when the soap was in the bowl already. I would practice making lather several times a day till I got the technique figured out and was able to consistently make good lather.
View attachment 1102128

How much soap do you smear into the bottom of the bowl?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment 1102128
I have been thinking about grating my lucks into bowls. I believe that would help builders lather. Similar effect as what you are doing.

Top Bottom