What's new

May 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still in.

I have BEER!

I found a shop here in Cebu, Philippines that has stock and is selling it under the counter. Normal price is USD 11.50 per carton (6 litres). Now USD 13. Not bad.

Today I bought 2 cartons. I'll buy another tomorrow. That should last me 2 or 3 weeks.

Still in.

I have BEER!

I found a shop here in Cebu, Philippines that has stock and is selling it under the counter. Normal price is USD 11.50 per carton (6 litres). Now USD 13. Not bad.

Today I bought 2 cartons. I'll buy another tomorrow. That should last me 2 or 3 weeks.
Congratulations! What "flavor" did you get?

Still in! Just had a nice lathering session with Siliski soaps's test base.

SOTD 05192020.jpg

Still in.

I have BEER!

I like that pricing. I had 12 16-oz cans of IPA delivered today from my favorite neighborhood microbrewery for $46 USD. I’m trying to support my local businesses, especially this one because the brewer went to college with my older son in Northfield, MN, yet we all live in Seattle. (Plus, the loss of a neighborhood brewer is a tragedy.)

Still in.

Learning the arcane art of upper-lip ATG isn't going as well as I'd hoped.

I might give myself a day off, because of that, but also out of general curiosity. I've been a daily shaver since getting the 6S.

Some people sing the praises of mowing down 48 hours. :001_smile

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still in.

Learning the arcane art of upper-lip ATG isn't going as well as I'd hoped.

I might give myself a day off, because of that, but also out of general curiosity. I've been a daily shaver since getting the 6S.

Some people sing the praises of mowing down 48 hours. :001_smile
I call ATG on upper lip the Fool's Pass Test (FPT). If a SR is comfortable doing the FPT, the edge is nearing perfection.

I hone (including film) and then pasted balsa (0.5um, 0.25um & 0.1um) strop to get my SR edges to "shave ready" and easily tree-topping. Those edges then still don't pass my FPT.

For the next 10 or so shaves with that edge, I give it 50 laps on each of my three pasted hand held balsa strops plus 50 on the 0.1um hanging after each use. This would then show some improvement in the FPT. After that first 10, I'll then delete the 0.5um from the routine for the next 10 shaves. Then I delete the 0.25um for the next 10.

After those 20 or so shaves I stay on 0.1um hand held plus 0.1um hanging until that blade's edge passes my FPT. It takes time, but it gets there. From then on it is 0.1um hanging only to maintain the standard.

I perform the FPT at about every fifth shave just to see/feel how things are progressing.

I now have two SR that I am comfortable with doing the fool's pass and a third that is almost there. Once the third is done, I'll start working through my first matching 7DS.

It can be done. Just takes time, effort and technique.

I was thinking of sawing off a single-blade head (say, from a Bic disposable), and Aralditing it (other brands of glue are available) into a horizontal handle, that one could hold with both hands, and nod the upper lip at.

On the other hand, a properly sharpened-up straight might be more ergonomic, and less complicated.

DEs don't seem to be a great solution to this.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was thinking of sawing off a single-blade head (say, from a Bic disposable), and Aralditing it (other brands of glue are available) into a horizontal handle, that one could hold with both hands, and nod the upper lip at.

On the other hand, a properly sharpened-up straight might be more ergonomic, and less complicated.

DEs don't seem to be a great solution to this.
I can't see a Bic disposable being any sharper than say a Feather DE blade. Have you tried a DE blade in a shavette? (I haven't as some of my SR's can do the job.)

Still in! SOTD - 20 MAY 2020

SOTD 05202020.jpg

Brush - Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Lather - Siliski Test base soap
Razor - CJB Kamisori Shavette
Blade - Feather AC Pro (7)
Post - Lucky Tiger Tonic

Enjoyable shave. The lather didn't blow me away but it did the job. It leaves the skin soft and smooth so that's a plus. Still figuring out the shavette but it's been fun so far.

No purchases until the end. No temptations today.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Now that I have beer supply, I have had to curtail my vesperum shaves. I have a couple of beers after I finish my work each day and never shave after drinking.

Still in.

This morning's two pass shave was with a Titan 1918 ACRO SR, Chinese genuine pure synthetic badger hair brush, Proraso green cream, all finished off with a splash of Clarifiance.

Result as usual was a DFS all over with no damage or irritation. Why didn't I start SR shaving in my teens?

Last edited:
I can't see a Bic disposable being any sharper than say a Feather DE blade. Have you tried a DE blade in a shavette? (I haven't as some of my SR's can do the job.)

Still in.

Maybe I should get and experiment with a shavette, thanks. I had forgotten about those things. No big hurry.

The DE format seems to be optimised towards doing a simple N —> S, which would make sense, as it would have given most users a SAS, when that was not simple to get.

Didn't shave on Wednesday, to give my skin a holiday.

SOTD
  • RR Mission
  • Nacet (3)
  • Tabac
  • Re-Knotted vintage Rubberset 203
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub
I'm taking occasional breaks from the Schoccolo v1, just for a little variety and to remind myself what other razors feel like for the sake of comparison. The Mission was a gift from my wife when I was just starting out, though it wasn't the first razor I used - at the time, I couldn't wait for the delivery, so I popped into a local antique store and scored a Tech and a Flare Tip, both in good nick, for the princely sum of $10 (total). Anyway, while the Mission lacks much in the way of "cool factor", with its scalloped SB and standard knurling, it does give a very nice, easy shave.

Still in! FAT Friday SOTD - 22 MAY 2020

SOTD 05222020.jpg

Brush - Craving Shaving "A Shade of Jade"
Lather - MWF
Razor - CJB Kamisori Shavette
Blade - Feather AC Pro (8)
Post - Lucky Tiger Tonic

Great shave. My different sample of MWF lathered like a charm. Brush felt extra soft and razor cut really well. Blade is feeling more mild but still cutting efficiently. Nice orange-scented post shave to wrap it up.

I've had another temptation as one of my buddies posted a great deal for an artisan handle + Simpsons knot for a ridiculous price. But ... I don't need another brush. Let's keep at it!

Top Bottom