What's new

Micromatic Monday

Looks like I missed Pushbutton day, though the blade I used got loaded into my Pushbutton for next week... Damaskeene for me today.
IMG_20200518_065706-01.jpeg

GEM Damaskeene, GEM Persona SS (2)
Truefitt and Hill 1805
CRV in Silvertip
4711 EdC

Thank you, Gentlemen! :)

I will research the proper method to de-spine a GEM blade and, as soon as my adapter arrives, we shall give this beautiful razor another go. :)

You just bite the back of the spine and pull the blade away.:letterk1:

Actually if you pinch the back of spine with side cutters it opens up a little then you van carefully pry it off. A good practice is to use something over the sharp edge to protect it. I believe @Ron R and @Flintstone65 have used fridge magnet business cards cut in half to sandwiched the blade and hold them.

GEM Carbon Steel shave 6

MMOC
RR Green Label stick + ‘Cool Conk’ amber stick
Alum, Lucky Tiger, bay rum mix
View attachment 1101718
Might be the fast, overly casual, stick fighting approach to lathering. It might be the edge losing a bit of its edge. Hey, it might even be due to shaving before coffee.

Just CCS, attempting to sneak into DFS territory after all the post-shave product. Alum and the bay rum mix revealed some irritation that not even a Lucky Tiger could mitigate.

I will give this blade another run out tomorrow, to make sure it’s the blade and not one of those confounding factors. I might even do a MMOC v Starling OC side-by-side, ostensibly for carbon science, but more likely just to sneak a modern Gem razor past the checkpoint.
Sounds like you are going good. FWIW I didn't get as good a result with the RazoRock soap. Mine was in a tub, but probably the same stuff.

Well, big thanks to Tanuki, as I know have a second Micromatic, this one a gorgeous looking Chrome Open Comb.

The morning Shave (05/18/20):

MMOC / New GEM Blade
Proraso Red Cream, lathered with my 30mm Tuxedo
Bay-Rum Aftershave (Homebrew)
Dab of Stirling Balm

Holy Cow! - I hadn't shaved since Friday, at the wife's request, and the first pass pretty much left my face BBS, minus a little here and there. (I've been just going for the gusto, ATG on the first pass, which for me is across the neck from ear to chin, and then jawline up). The MMOC is definitely efficient, really efficient, with a lot less blade feel than many much less efficient razors. Actually the feel of the shave is pretty close to the bargain Bullet Tip I bought on eBay, but a step up in efficiency.

Thanks! Snagged this set back in March for a grand total of $5. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it....lol. Here's two more pics of it for your enjoyment.
View attachment 1101855View attachment 1101856

Oh snap. $5 for that set. That's an unbelievable deal.

Can't put my hands on what they called the color, but there were four announced for the fall 1937 special.

proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advert. 69 cents for the razor 7 blades and that case. Wow. Wonder what that would be in today's money?
I've seen Ivory and the dark Redish Brown in that case for sure and I'm sure at least one other color. I'm not usually a case seeker. If a razor I want has a case and it a good price for the razor the case is a bonus. But that's one case I would really like to get.

Oh snap. $5 for that set. That's an unbelievable deal.

Thanks for the advert. 69 cents for the razor 7 blades and that case. Wow. Wonder what that would be in today's money?
I've seen Ivory and the dark Redish Brown in that case for sure and I'm sure at least one other color. I'm not usually a case seeker. If a razor I want has a case and it a good price for the razor the case is a bonus. But that's one case I would really like to get.
How about gold + 5 blades for .49? (Feb 1940)
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Outstanding Micromatic Monday / GEMonday.....seriously great shaves today!!! My shave was flawless....this MMOC has never let me down, and today was no exception! I love shaving with different items: razors, soaps, creams, brushes, blades....but every now and then I use a razor where I think "man, this one really is perfect!" My MMOC always makes that "perfect" list.

Today's soap was Men's Shave Company Bay Rum...a truly great soap in both performance and scent. The blade was a Gem SS PTFE on it's 15th shave -- and I'm going to keep it pushing forward. The brush is RazoRock's Beehive Plissoft 28mm....which is a big brush, but the pic below makes it look HUGE!
proxy.php

Last edited:
I had an excellent shave today with the GEMem MMOC and a creation by @twhite called the TAR. The TAR is on loan for a week so I'm trying to get as many shave as I can with it. The MMOC performed quite well with a 3rd use PAL carbon blade. And a mix of Cyril R Salter wild rose and alittle Cella made a great lather with the SHD two band badger.

Top Bottom