What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I would love to hear which blades you've found work best in your Level 2.

Well, I still feel like I’m just starting with the Lvl 2... but this is what I have experienced thus far. I started with my very favorite blade for the first shave... a Polsilver. I found it to be a superb shave, with excellent results right out of the gate. But it left my skin feeling a bit raw. Tried a couple more shaves with the Polsilver, and the same result. Outstanding closeness, but some excess irritation.

I then tried an Astra SP as was recommended here, and it was okay. Tried a Tiger/Tatra Czech blade, don’t remember which one, and it was smooth. No blood, no irritation.

Now I popped in a vintage pre-1982 Wizamet. This blade had quite a few shaves on it already. I lost count. I think these may be like p74 in their longevity. I can’t kill it. Excellent results in the lvl 2. No irritation. Super close shave. A winner.

Next I had to go into a Wilkinson Sword challenge. I have never gotten along with German Wilkies, or any German blades, so that one was terrible as I suspected. The newer version of the NOS British Wilkie was an excellent shave in the CG lvl 2. However, I next tried an older British Wilkie, the one with the diagonal stripes in the logo printed on the blade. And that one was sublime. Excellent shave. May have been as good of a shave as I have ever gotten.

Next I tried a Gillette Spoiler. This blade had a number of shaves on it when I grabbed it out of my Game Changer 84. Maybe three or so. I slapped it into the lvl 2 and gave it a whirl. Magic! Super smooth. Tops BBS results. Zero irritation. Zero blood. Perfect. So yesterday I return from a four day camping trip, and grab the lvl 2 loaded with the magic spoiler, and I think the blade took a poop right in the middle of the first pass. It started out really great, but then became quite rough. So maybe I got a little too much sun and may face was a bit sensitive. Or maybe the blade just lost its edge. It was my first spoiler. So I don’t really know if they are long lasting like a 74. Or are they three shaves and done like a regular blade. But it certainly won’t be my last Spoiler. I’ve been collecting them and have built up a supply of 30 or so blades.

So to summarize, I initially thought that super sharp blades may not be a fit for me in the lvl 2 because the Polsilver was so rough, and the Tiger blade was so smooth. However, my last few shaves were with super sharp blades with excellent results. I know that I haven’t really figured this razor out yet. And I will have some fun dialing it in.

Great info, Brad! I'm still trying to dial in my Level 2 myself. It's my favorite razor to hold and look at, and I've gotten a few great shaves with it. But I've also found it can be a bit harsh feeling. I'll share any blade finds of my own.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am awestruck by my CG level 2. I’ve been hunting the ultimate razor for years now, first many vintage, then modern.

As my RAD subsidizes, my purchases became less and less frequent. A few very talked about razors a year, and perhaps a new soap base. I had become quite content with my RFB NEWs, Gamechangers, 6s, Rex Ambassador, the list goes on. I had believed I had found the perfect little selection of outstanding razors, and that was that. Many new purchases failed to woo me. Pictured below(Charcoal Goods, Gamechanger Open Comb, Rex Envoy, .84 Gamechanger, Rockwell 6s)View attachment 1059225

The Charcoal Goods level 2 was highly talked about among many members who have similar tastes to mine. I finally succumbed to RAD and....

Well it has blown away everything I have had, after a few weeks I sold off nearly everything else and got a second CG as a back up. I could not do words justice to how well this razor works for me, true shaving nirvana with outstanding results. Now I can focus on more fragrances and soaps, until CG comes out with a new design that is.

View attachment 1059227
I haven’t used a DE for two years since I started using straight razors but I must say those are truly beautiful razors you have.

It's my favorite razor to hold and look at, and I've gotten a few great shaves with it. But I've also found it can be a bit harsh feeling.

I have to agree, I've decided the level 2 is a touch too much for daily shaves. Much prefer the level 1 but I am a fan of mild razors. Shaving every other day is no problem with the level 2 but I want a razor I can use daily without complications. I've tried a bunch of different blades, but still get irritation using the level 2 all week.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Great info, Brad! I'm still trying to dial in my Level 2 myself. It's my favorite razor to hold and look at, and I've gotten a few great shaves with it. But I've also found it can be a bit harsh feeling. I'll share any blade finds of my own.

I tried a Voskhod in my lvl 2 for the first time. Excellent results. Nice and smooth. Close shave. Much less irritation. Gonna keep it in there for a few more shaves and see how it goes.

Sorry, this isn't happening unless Brian has changed his mind. We will be lucky to level 2 in antique brass before the move.
Thanks for the update. I recall he had antique brass production scheduled before the shutdown, but couldn't remember what levels he planned. I also recall he had Stinger handles schedules, and it looks like he has completed that production. We'll have to wait and see he does; and, may have to rely on the secondary market for the antique lvl1.

I don't have the email anymore but I did ask Brian about level 1 plates when the SS ones dropped and he was pretty definite about no runs in brass or copper for that level.

The plan pre-shutdown/lockdown was to antique a selection of whatever was left over in brass. Again this is up in the air at the moment.

This thread needs more pictures

Just restored and polished my "new" to me copper level 1.

It had serious patina when it arrived.

image1.jpeg

Now it looks like this

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

My "new" Charcoal Goods razor. Actually, I just bought a Stinger 1 handle (bright brass and antiqued it myself) and added it to my existing Level 2 top cap/baseplate. It feels like a completely different razor with this handle. It will take some getting used to the different knurling, but it still shaves like a dream. It would be a shame if CG did not return after their move.

IMG_5186.jpeg

This thread needs more pictures

Just restored and polished my "new" to me copper level 1.

It had serious patina when it arrived.

View attachment 1101293

Now it looks like this

View attachment 1101294
View attachment 1101295

Man that razor really cleaned up nicely! Well done.

Ever since I picked up a lvl 2 (gen 1) in brass I’ve pretty much sold everything else in my den. I only have one other razor. The lvl 2 is not only a wonderful piece of art but it’s a wonderful daily shaver.

Attachments

• 4C45549F-4500-41B1-AEFA-812BE0BCD809.jpeg
    4C45549F-4500-41B1-AEFA-812BE0BCD809.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Man that razor really cleaned up nicely! Well done.

Ever since I picked up a lvl 2 (gen 1) in brass I’ve pretty much sold everything else in my den. I only have one other razor. The lvl 2 is not only a wonderful piece of art but it’s a wonderful daily shaver.
I agree. That raked top cap in copper beats anything shiny thing in my books.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My "new" Charcoal Goods razor. Actually, I just bought a Stinger 1 handle (bright brass and antiqued it myself) and added it to my existing Level 2 top cap/baseplate. It feels like a completely different razor with this handle. It will take some getting used to the different knurling, but it still shaves like a dream. It would be a shame if CG did not return after their move.

View attachment 1101726
I gotta know, Tom. Is the hula girl a blade bank, digital clock or something else?

I gotta know, Tom. Is the hula girl a blade bank, digital clock or something else?
Good question... I started my career in the travel industry and have traveled to nearly 70 countries and to Hawaii at least 20 times. There are not a lot of souvenirs I bring back from any destination, but as I was shopping for gifts (chocolate covered macadamia nuts) for family/friends on my last visit to Hawaii, I saw the hula girl. When in the sunlight, she hula dances non stop. She sits on the window sill in my home office and dances the hula all day. I give her some picture time just because she brings me almost as much joy as my daily shaves just thinking about the Aloha spirit. She been going strong on my window sill since our last trip in 2017. Pretty good ROI for $10. Rather silly, I know, but it sometimes is the littlest things in life. I tried to make a video to share, but the file was too large!

Ain't she a peach?!

IMG_5190.jpeg

Top Bottom