What's new

Worcestershire sauce

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My Henderson’s Relish (and HP Sauce) came in. I did a taste test. It is similar to W sauce, but seems to have a sweetness and a tang that W doesn’t. I really like it. I am about to make a ribeye steak with eggs, and the steak is marinating in some. Thanks @AimlessWanderer for bringing this to my attention.
F4D91754-AC6F-43DF-B3D4-624A0C88D2B6.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Two thumbs up. I am giving one of the bottles to our resident Brit at work , Nigel. He hasn’t heard of it, but he is from the London area.

Excellent!

There's a bit of an "in-joke" about it being Sheffield's secret, that they don't let others know about. Some inquisitive media outlet once approached Henderson’s, because some celebrity or other from outside Sheffield had been singing its praises. The company's response, was along the lines of "It has been brought to our attention, that some of our bottles have strayed beyond the Sheffield city boundary. We are not sure yet as to how this happened, but a full and thorough inquiry will be made" :D

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Excellent!

There's a bit of an "in-joke" about it being Sheffield's secret, that they don't let others know about. Some inquisitive media outlet once approached Henderson’s, because some celebrity or other from outside Sheffield had been singing its praises. The company's response, was along the lines of "It has been brought to our attention, that some of our bottles have strayed beyond the Sheffield city boundary. We are not sure yet as to how this happened, but a full and thorough inquiry will be made" :D
Got to love the British sense of humor

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My Henderson’s Relish (and HP Sauce) came in. I did a taste test. It is similar to W sauce, but seems to have a sweetness and a tang that W doesn’t. I really like it. I am about to make a ribeye steak with eggs, and the steak is marinating in some. Thanks @AimlessWanderer for bringing this to my attention.
View attachment 1100986
This may cause some people from Texas to go crazy, but I just had a Whataburger with HP sauce. Superb.

As Worcestershire is the next county to Gloucestershire where I live, I can guarantee that is correct.

Try Gloucestershire then!

Gareth
Ahh, two great countries separated by a common language! Although it isnt just America, because native Brits come to realise over time that British pronounced English (and spelling) is the most convaluted and illogical thing to learn as a foreign language.

The rules are just plain contradictory !!

For cheap entertainment, at the expense of visiting folk from across the pond, it has to be pronouncing "Leicestershire".... or explaining the rules of Cricket.

Aprops Anchovies, do you have Gentleman's Relish or similar anchovy paste spread in the States?

No Worcestershire for me. Yorkshire!
Specifically, Sheffield.

View attachment 1092604

It's kind of like Worcestershire sauce, but better. Much better in my rather biased opinion. If you can track down and try a bottle of Hendo's as it's known round here, you might just have bought your last bottle of Lea and Perrins.

I worked in Sheffield for a while (Victoria Quays) and did come to appreciate Henderson's muchly [emoji106]

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The rules are just plain contradictory !!

That's because of all the different influences. Start (essentially) with the Celtic Britons, throw in a few centuries of the Roman Empire, then come the Angles and the Saxons and (a few centuries after that) the Vikings and (a few centuries after that) the Normans, and that's just 1,000 years from the beginning of the Common Era. Whew!

Aprops Anchovies, do you have Gentleman's Relish or similar anchovy paste spread in the States?

They are around but not particularly popular. Shame, too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Two thumbs up. I am giving one of the bottles to our resident Brit at work , Nigel. He hasn’t heard of it, but he is from the London area.
Just don't tell him that it comes from "the norff".

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Excellent!

Is this “Henderson’s Sauce”? $21 for a 3 pack in Amazon. Since I’m a L&P addict, is this something I might like? Used for the same purposes? You’ve really my curious antenna sparking. I’m not really an HP fan.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is this “Henderson’s Sauce”? $21 for a 3 pack in Amazon. Since I’m a L&P addict, is this something I might like? Used for the same purposes? You’ve really my curious antenna sparking. I’m not really an HP fan.

Henderson’s Relish. Yes, it's more of a Worcestershire sauce style, than a HP brown sauce. Use it for pies, cheese on toast, fish and chips, soups, stews, marinades, all that kind of thing. No amazon link in your post, so I can't confirm.

I do like HP/brown sauce, but it is a bit of a lost cause away from bacon and sausage in my opinion.

For cheap entertainment, at the expense of visiting folk from across the pond, it has to be pronouncing "Leicestershire".... or explaining the rules of Cricket.

I can pronounce Leicestershire just fine but don't ask me for the rules of cricket. Never understood them, or football!

Gareth

Top Bottom