What's new

Question about Barbershop Soaps

Stirling Barbershop, is I guess what you may be looking for.
For me, it has that fresh, clean powdery type of scent and whips up awesome slick lather!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mike's Natural Soaps Barbershop is my favorite. It lists bergamot, basil, oakmoss, and patchouli and I don't care for patchuouli on it's own but this mix is wonderful!
I was coming into this thread specifically to warn the OP that if he doesn't like patchouli the one soap he should definitely avoid is Mike's. To my nose it has a lot of patchouli. It is also overly sweet for my taste, again probably because the patchouli note is so prominent.

I quite enjoy Seville, which to me is citrus and lavender heavy, and very light on the patchouli.

I was coming into this thread specifically to warn the OP that if he doesn't like patchouli the one soap he should definitely avoid is Mike's. To my nose it has a lot of patchouli. It is also overly sweet for my taste, again probably because the patchouli note is so prominent.

I quite enjoy Seville, which to me is citrus and lavender heavy, and very light on the patchouli.
I don't get strong patchouli or sweetness from Mike's, scents can be such so YMMV.

I have used quite a few Barbershop soaps and haven't got any patchouli from them.

Bandwagon
Seville
Barrbarr
Ghost Town Barber
Stirling Barbershop
First Canadian Shave Barbershop

I received a Barbershop sample today from Stirling, and I'm glad I went with a sample. While it's a pleasant scent, I find it to be more vanilla than anything else. I don't object to vanilla scents, but I don't love them either. Next up will be WSP, Shannon's or Mike's. Which is least like Stirling?

Best Barbershop soap I’ve ever used is WSP Formula T. Once I use up some of the soaps I have, a tub of that is a done deal.

Valobra stick has a subtle old school scent that I love. Pair it with Proraso green pre shave and prepare to teleport yourself to a barbershop in Amalfi Coast back in the 1950’s

I received a Barbershop sample today from Stirling, and I'm glad I went with a sample. While it's a pleasant scent, I find it to be more vanilla than anything else. I don't object to vanilla scents, but I don't love them either. Next up will be WSP, Shannon's or Mike's. Which is least like Stirling?
To my nose Mike's smells nothing like Stirling, which is why I like it.

You might try Zingari Wanderer. It’s a great Barber Shop scent and great soap too. It lists patchouli but I don’t notice it. PAA Gondolier is Barber Shop as well. I agree about Mike’s, Stirling and B&M too

I'm a huge Stirling fanatic and I would have to agree with you on the vanilla scent off the puck but once its lathered up the vanilla almost disappears for me. Stirling Barbershop does take me back to the barbershops of yesteryear but if you want a traditional American barbershop scent you should give Pinaud Clubman a try. The tub is on the small side and the texture is softer than most, similar to Proraso, but the scent is straight out of an early American barbershop... The price is like $3 at Atlanta Barber Supply for a 2oz tub.
1589718058459.png

When I was a young fella, my barbershop smelled like Clubman. Perhaps because he shaved my neck with a straight and then doused it with Clubman aftershave and Clubman talcum powder.

When I became a Boy Scout and learned my assistant Scoutmaster was a barber, I switched barbers. It was the late '60s on the Hill in Boulder so, of course, his barbershop doubled as a headshop. Like the rest of Boulder, the shop burned patchouli incense nonstop.

For a brief period in my young adult life, I lived in London. My barber there used Pashana aftershave.

For a long time now, I've not discerned any scents at my barbershop, though he keeps a bottle of Clubman aftershave on his shelf.

Ergo, I can't decide if "barbershop" scent is Clubman, patchouli or Pashana.

P.S. Perhaps there's so much patchouli present in barbershop soaps because the patchouli-incense-in-the-barbershop thing caught on nationwide...

Last edited:
Interesting how everyone has a different take on classic barbershop scent. To my nose the ultimate barbershop scent is Proraso green.

This is exactly what I think of as well.

I like Stirling's Barbershop but it smells of vanilla. Murphy and McNeil's Triskele smells of incense. I like both smells but they don't smell like any barbershops I've been to. Maybe in Candyland and India respectively.

I too associate Clubman as the barbershop scent. CBL makes a clubman scented soap which, for my money, is the closest to the aftershave in a soap.

Top Bottom