What's new

Worcestershire sauce

It's pretty much a staple around here. We always have an opened bottle in the fridge and a unopened backup in the pantry. It was that way when I grew up, too.

It goes into all sorts of stuff around here. Like the rest of you, it goes into ground beef for burgers or meatloaf. I use it on stuff that goes onto the pit to hold a rub. My grandfather mixed it with melted butter and lemon juice for a steak marinade and baste, and I still do that from time to time. I can't begin to think of everything else it gets into, such as the homemade barbecue sauce, beer cheese, soups & stews, cocktail sauce, Bloody Marys, and just about anything else that "just needs a little 'something.'"

I'd be lying if I said I never sipped a little bit of it straight.

I agree that L&P is the only way to go, too. I remember when, right after we were married, my lovely bride came back from the store with a bottle of something else (French's, I think) because it was cheaper. That may have been the first time I actually held a bottle of any Worcestershire sauce that wasn't L&P. It was terrible stuff. After that, we had a brief talk about the difference between "cost" and "value."

I have actually tried some more expensive, and mehhh... no way. It was a pain in the arse to finish them

No Worcestershire for me. Yorkshire!
Specifically, Sheffield.

View attachment 1092604

It's kind of like Worcestershire sauce, but better. Much better in my rather biased opinion. If you can track down and try a bottle of Hendo's as it's known round here, you might just have bought your last bottle of Lea and Perrins.

I could try it as long as it is not sold as worcestershire.

By the way, I learn to pronounce worcestershire in a 'canonical' way (not native speaker) like following the 'books' of english pronuntiation. My phd supervisor (Aussie) heard me once saying it, and stared at me and ask what the **** I said, it is 'whuustashir' you bloody spaniard hahaha

I have actually tried some more expensive, and mehhh... no way. It was a pain in the arse to finish them

I could try it as long as it is not sold as worcestershire.

By the way, I learn to pronounce worcestershire in a 'canonical' way (not native speaker) like following the 'books' of english pronuntiation. My phd supervisor (Aussie) heard me once saying it, and stared at me and ask what the **** I said, it is 'whuustashir' you bloody spaniard hahaha
It's really easy to pronounce. It's two syllables. Wooster and then cher.

As in Bertie Wooster from the P G Wodehouse novels and Cher the awful singer.

Sent from my POT-LX1T using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As to pronunciation, I leave off the "shire" altogether. So for me, and I think for a lot of folks round here, it's just "wusta" sauce. Lea and Perrins is actually sited in the city of Worcester, not just the county. That's my lame excuse for justifying my laziness anyway...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I can't spell at all . . . so this should help. whistasire sauce . . . sometimes wistasure. I've loved the stuff since I first had it some many decades ago. It shows up in unusual places. Cream cheese / blue cheese / walnut cheese log rolled in walnuts . . . yea . . . add a bit of Worcestershire sauce (Nutz . . . I actually had the spelling right on the first try . . . failed on walnuts . . . I thought it needed an extra L . . . )

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
While Lea & Perrins is the real deal, I'm no black sauce snob.
I also like for a change of pace some Wooster sauce.

F-Whitlock-Sons-Worcester-Sauce.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can't spell at all . . . so this should help. whistasire sauce . . . sometimes wistasure. I've loved the stuff since I first had it some many decades ago. It shows up in unusual places. Cream cheese / blue cheese / walnut cheese log rolled in walnuts . . . yea . . . add a bit of Worcestershire sauce (Nutz . . . I actually had the spelling right on the first try . . . failed on walnuts . . . I thought it needed an extra L . . . )
Spelling is generally my strong suit, but I have to use Google for Worcestershire every time.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Like has been said about a difference sauce, I put that *beep* on everything! (meat, anyway)

We used to purchase Worchestershire sauce in 8-10 oz bottles. My wife would purchase either Lea & Perrins or French's, whichever she spotted first on the shelf. Then we found L&P at Costco in double pack of 20 oz bottles. The first time we purchased it, we thought we would never use up both bottles. Now as soon as we finish the 1st bottle, we purchase another double pack to make sure we never run out.

We do keep ours in the refrigerator. Since the 20 oz bottle is tall, it peaks out over top of the other items and we can find it easily when needed. I use it for hamburger, hotdogs, brats, baked beans, soups, stew, etc. It is the soy sauce of the western world.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
We used to purchase Worchestershire sauce in 8-10 oz bottles. My wife would purchase either Lea & Perrins or French's, whichever she spotted first on the shelf. Then we found L&P at Costco in double pack of 20 oz bottles. The first time we purchased it, we thought we would never use up both bottles. Now as soon as we finish the 1st bottle, we purchase another double pack to make sure we never run out.

We do keep ours in the refrigerator. Since the 20 oz bottle is tall, it peaks out over top of the other items and we can find it easily when needed. I use it for hamburger, hotdogs, brats, baked beans, soups, stew, etc. It is the soy sauce of the western world.
Same story here. Never ever run out of L&P!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No Worcestershire for me. Yorkshire!
Specifically, Sheffield.

View attachment 1092604

It's kind of like Worcestershire sauce, but better. Much better in my rather biased opinion. If you can track down and try a bottle of Hendo's as it's known round here, you might just have bought your last bottle of Lea and Perrins.

I just ordered a 3 pack off of Amazon, and a bottle of HP Sauce.

Top Bottom