What's new

Mamba May! (1/2 GRUME)

I ordered a Mamba 70 special from IB late March. This turned out to be an extremely mild shaver, even with a Feather blade. But then I thought, what if the angle is absolutely critical - like a Tech? So I’m doing a Mamba May to see whether I’m going to keep this razor. Not participating in GRUME because I have a beautiful Thater 4125 2-band arriving tomorrow. Will be switching between both my badgers.

Anyone who wants to join me can! I’ll check in weekly.

RazoRock Mamba 70
Kai blades
B&M Seville soap
Thater 4125 2-band silver tip, olive wood handle
St James super badger, tawny faux horn handle

Well, I accidentally grabbed an Astra SS and used it since it was unwrapped. These historically leave terrible irritation from Fatboy, but I was pleasantly surprised today. Super smooth, no tugging, no nicks, mild neck irritation. 3-pass 60% BBS. Will be using Kai blades moving forward.

AD8B6251-9972-4958-A894-52AB5BBD31E5.jpeg

I’m following this for sure. I got one as well and have struggled to find the angle and blade combo. It’s super smooth and a very nice razor. Just seems to be finicky to get a really efficient and close shave. I’d love to hear your findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Mamba 53 and it's definitely mild. However, I still get great comfortable shaves with it so it's a keeper for me. I used my Mamba quite frequently so I'll not be joining but I will be watching this thread.

I have a Feather AS-D2 and want to know if Mamba 53 is milder thant Feather.
I have trouble to shave more than twice a day with it
I was using Rockwell 6C with plate #2 its a daily shaver but cant have BBS with it.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I was able to dial right in on my Mamba 70 from the first shave. Now, that may have something to do with having learned to shave with a DE back in the 'sixties. The razor is extraordinarily forgiving and and seems indifferent to whatever blade I load it with. For example, today I got shave number 9 out of a Derby USTA, which I think is pretty good. The shave was smooth, efficient (two passes) and without drama--just the way I like 'em.

I'd gauge my beard to be about average for my age (73), though I'm not in the habit of feeling the faces of other guys for comparison. One thing I will confess to is using pressure: the Mamba is so mild and, yes, so safe, that a bit of pressure boosts its efficiency dramatically. I regularly shave WTG and ATG, and clean up with some blade blade buffing as needed; except for the rare weeper, I've yet to draw any real blood.

Good luck with your Mamba 70. It really is a fine razor and merits exploration, as it is really capable of some great shaves. Just don't be afraid to push it a bit. It is not likely to bite.

5/3 - Steep Angle Week

After a 19-mile bike ride, a long shower and shave was well deserved. I’ll preface by saying I’m a steep angle shaver so I’ll start this trial with what I know. Blades below the top 10% sharpness feel like scraping on my whiskers. Most everything at a shallow angle sticks like a butter knife in an onion.

2.5 days growth - needed to cool down from the Astra burn. Those just aren’t for me.

Hot shower
ACH Brito preshave soap
B&M Seville
Thater 4125 2-band silvertip
Mamba 70
Kai (1)
Warm rinse
Alum
Cold rinse
Lucky Tiger aftershave

First use ever with my lightly used Thater. It’s my first “designer” silvertip. 26mm lather hog but VERY comfortable. Excellent backbone and soft with a little scrub.

Pass 1 WTG: Smooth but moderately inefficient. Considerable stubble left. My neck felt untouched in the hollows, but this is normal for mild razors.

Pass 2 XTG: Again, smooth. Effortless cutting action. Still stubbly.

Pass 3 ATG: I use short controlled strokes here, mildly buffing 2-3 times over tough spots. My face is BBS per usual. Neck is CCS/DFS. No irritation, but not quite there. A collared work shirt would hurt by noon.

We’ll see how the Kai performs with more use. Will check back later this week. Thanks!

015C1D83-83A7-4552-A5F5-2673A6D09F7B.jpeg

I’ve got a Mamba 70 I’ve been meaning to try. I’m in for Mamba May!

Will start with a Gillette yellow and MWF and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaves 5/4 and 5/5

I don’t think steep angle is for this razor. 3rd pass was consistently harsh both days. Can’t get DFS without buffing touch up because so much stubble is left behind - lack of efficiency? Alum completely lit up my neck.

My goal is to achieve DFS from 2 passes on one day growth. If a Tech can do it.....

I have a Mamba 53 and can confirm they are extremely picky on angle. Steep angle isn't going to cut it. It's more efficient when used at a shallow angle. I also have a post-war Tech and to me it's more efficient. But that could come down to blade rigidity.

7 May 20
Razor
: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Derby Extra (2)
Brush: 26mm DS cosmetic S/L brush
Pre-Shave: Fendrihan Bay rum pre-shave oil
Lather: RR Gold Label Shaving Soap Stick
Aftershave: RR Blue AS splash / Crown Shaving AS lotion
Additional Care: Thayers Lemon WH
IMG_20200507_061656.jpg

Fwiw, the og mamba 53 was my everyday driver when I wasn’t in accumulation mode. I’m normally a steep angle shaver.

The mamba 53 is my one razor that works MUCH better at a shallow angle for me.

the 70 is actually quite a bit more forgiving on the angle.

Mamba May 7th

Preshave: Glyce preshave soap
Lather: B&M Seville
Brush: Thater 4125 2-band silvertip
Razor: Mamba 70
Blade: Kai (4th use)
Alum between warm and cold rinse
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

I flipped the blade overafter three uses. From the steepest effective cutting angle, I adjusted 5-degrees shallower. MUCH more comfortable shave. Efficiency increased slightly. I found I still need to go over everything 2-4 times on the third pass to get down to DFS. Two more days of riding the bar.

69DBB791-D6D1-469E-88CD-9D92F03D9312.jpeg

Mamba May 7th

Preshave: Glyce preshave soap
Lather: B&M Seville
Brush: Thater 4125 2-band silvertip
Razor: Mamba 70
Blade: Kai (4th use)
Alum between warm and cold rinse
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

I flipped the blade overafter three uses. From the steepest effective cutting angle, I adjusted 5-degrees shallower. MUCH more comfortable shave. Efficiency increased slightly. I found I still need to go over everything 2-4 times on the third pass to get down to DFS. Two more days of riding the bar.

View attachment 1097063

So you find it more effective and efficient when riding the bar?

So you find it more effective and efficient when riding the bar?

Hi Gablett, I ride the bar with all of my vintage Gillettes. Sticking with what I know for the first week. So far a slightly shallower angle is resulting better comfort. I’ll switch to riding the cap on a fresh blade Sunday.

Mamba May 5/8

Breakthrough improvement today!

I took the advice of @Whilliam and used a little pressure, about equal to the weight of the razor alone. Very good efficiency and comfort first two passes. No added pressure 3rd pass ATG. Found an angle at about 35-40 degrees. Made all the difference.

Mamba 70
Kai blade (5)
Seville
St James super badger

Near BBS, the tiniest bit of neck irritation, and the smallest nick in the usual trouble spot. Looking forward to tomorrow’s shave!

Last edited:
Mamba May! 10th to 14th Update

This week I’m riding the cap. Definitely better results than steep angle. Similar efficiency but more comfortable.

Fresh Kai blade felt very harsh the first three shaves. Good first and second passes, but ATG was tough to take. Got some neck irritation by day 3. Didn’t seem to want to cut - was the stubble not short enough?

Thurs 14th: Today was different and AWESOME! 2-days growth. Same shower prep and face lather. On a scale of 1 (shallow) to 10 (steep), I prefer this razor at a 3. Kai blade day 4. First pass WTG was moderately efficient- more than usual. Second pass XTG comfortable. Third pass ATG finally felt smooooooth. Solid DFS/BBS with minimal alum sting.

What’s going on with the varying results?! Two things come to mind:
  1. Kai blade was more comfortable uses 4&5 last week. Same thing this week. I’ll see how many uses I can get out of this same blade
  2. Hydration. I had a glass of water last night and a pint of water this morning. This is the only other variable.
Will keep you guys posted. Would be happy to hear results from others too.

421B8442-2660-43B6-B7B0-84E1E4F33EDF.jpeg

I don’t think this razor is aggressive enough for a 2-pass shave with one-day growth. Very forgiving razor and comfortable with the right angle. Not my ideal daily driver. Great razor for lighter whiskers.

I’m still dedicated for the month!

You are more dedicated than me. I gave up. Just too mild and too picky on angle for me. Didn’t help that I got a great deal in a Rex envoy and I couldn’t resist using it. I’d rub my skin raw trying to get the same shave as the Rex does in 3 easy low pressure passes. Just wasn’t working for me and was causing a lot of irritation because of how many passes I had to make to get a good shave.

Hope you end up figuring it out.

Top Bottom