What's new

Jack Purcells by Converse. What a shame/Classic Sneakers

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
... and let’s not ever forget these icons of retro sneeks. The often imitated but never duplicated, Stan Smith tenny. :thumbup:
View attachment 1087681

We are of a like mind my friend. While perusing through this thread I was planning on posting something about my favorite retro sneaker being the Adidas Stan Smith, and here I make it to the last post and BOOM, you've beat me to it.

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Nike purchased Converse several years ago and moved production overseas, mainly to China, thus the drop in quality of some of the icons like the Chuck Taylor's & Jack Purcell's.

I'm a semi-sneaker head. All through my four years of college (over 20 years ago now, how time flies) I worked as a sales clerk in a local athletic apparel and shoe store in Middle Tennessee which specialized in Nike, but sold all the major brands. I was a shoe fiend.

I'm still somewhat into that world, but not near as some folks. I'm a grown up 40 something now working in business casual everyday attire these days, so 90% of the time I wear made in England Dr. Marten's or Solovairs with Khakis.

On the weekend I like to break out the Stan Smith's (2 pairs to choose from) the Chuck Taylor's (either high top or low top - both made in the USA vintage!) or The Air Jordans (2 pair of I's, 1 pair of III's)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Btw, I saw a picture of the Superstars with the “yellowed” outsole which looked exactly the way mine did before applying the Angelus Sole Bright and wanted to show you the difference.
D73D9AAC-EB6F-4CF9-807D-D0BA664EC8BE.jpeg

948E48E5-5471-43A2-84AE-F75E31702C31.jpeg

14254494-8126-49A6-A90D-151210F8F604.jpeg

So if you have the “yellowed” outsole on your sneakers, this stuff works pretty well. Of course, the outsoles will yellow again. This was the second time I applied the sole brightener. The last time was probably two years ago.

Wow - that really works well! Is it more of a "paint" over or does it "bleach" the yellow out? Either way it seems like a winner.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Btw, I saw a picture of the Superstars with the “yellowed” outsole which looked exactly the way mine did before applying the Angelus Sole Bright and wanted to show you the difference.
View attachment 1087934
View attachment 1087933
View attachment 1087935

So if you have the “yellowed” outsole on your sneakers, this stuff works pretty well. Of course, the outsoles will yellow again. This was the second time I applied the sole brightener. The last time was probably two years ago.

Impressive, it worked well on those Run-DMC style adidas, what we used to commonly refer to as the "shell toe" adidas....

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
@johnniegold You know the danger of threads like this is that now I'm looking for a pair of Jack Purcell's and/or ProKeds. It's bad enough when getting on Badger & Blade makes me get a hankering for Razors/Brushes/Soaps but now I'm starting to get old school sneaker fever again....this is bad.....

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@johnniegold You know the danger of threads like this is that now I'm looking for a pair of Jack Purcell's and/or ProKeds. It's bad enough when getting on Badger & Blade makes me get a hankering for Razors/Brushes/Soaps but now I'm starting to get old school sneaker fever again....this is bad.....

Go man go... 😀

Go out and get yourself a nice pair of PF Flyers. 👍

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Hey @johnniegold So I was on the old interweb today and I was targeted with an add for these, which I of course would assume is due to the searching I've done on my browser for Jack Purcell's, Stan Smiths, etc, etc...and of course I had to click on it so now I'm sure Big Brother who follows my browsing habits will target me with even more click bait for classic kicks....

1588191124762.png

I dig these old Converse, kind of reminds me of the Classic Bird & Magic add campaign....

1588191052834.png

In retrospect, Converse did me a huge favor with that virtue signaling crap a few years back. I'd been wearing Converse for decades without really looking at other options. It ticked me off just enough to make me look at all my options when looking for tennis shoes and I found that there are so many good shoes now. If you haven't looked around and you've been habitually wearing Converse for decades, you wouldn't believe how much shoe technology has improved elsewhere. All the little things about Chucks/Purcells that I'd been putting up with long enough to where the flaws had become invisible were just not present in any other premium shoe. Adidas, Asics, New Balance, Oboz, Salomon, Brooks...

When I say "little things" I mean things like the material at the corners of the toe-caps cracking, the insoles being thin enough to be uncomfortable on gravel or sharp stones, the tongue getting off-center and slipping down the side of the shoe, the toe-cap slamming into your big toenail if you're walking down a steep hill, the piping/stitching over the achilles heel fraying long before the shoes are worn out. No other reasonably modern shoe has those flaws. I now primarily wear Oboz day hikers and New Balance runners and my feet couldn't be happier.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Hey @johnniegold So I was on the old interweb today and I was targeted with an add for these, which I of course would assume is due to the searching I've done on my browser for Jack Purcell's, Stan Smiths, etc, etc...and of course I had to click on it so now I'm sure Big Brother who follows my browsing habits will target me with even more click bait for classic kicks....

View attachment 1093678

I dig these old Converse, kind of reminds me of the Classic Bird & Magic add campaign....

View attachment 1093668

Trust me, if they were in blue, they would be on feet. 😀😎

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As an actual tennis shoe, I always preferred the Rod Lavers.

Now... only if I could find a pair. The Lavers used to do a blue/white set-up as well as green/white. Should’ve grabbed a pair when I had the chance. Too busy chasing Ravello shell cordovan. :lol:
6482896C-00BD-46CB-A66E-8DAA3BE4313A.jpeg
CC7363D9-68C4-42E5-A146-A6EDD9556470.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Man, I can’t believe Converse sold out of all the Pro Leather Limited Edition series. I signed up for the newsletter. Not gonna miss out again when they do another run (the Pro Leather series was previously released in Dec of 2019). They have some colors left but nothing I’m interested in.

I don't have much interest in buying the shoes (they are always too narrow for me) but I have ordered a bottle of the whitener! I'll use it on the soles of my 990s and boat shoes when needed.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I don't have much interest in buying the shoes (they are always too narrow for me) but I have ordered a bottle of the whitener! I'll use it on the soles of my 990s and boat shoes when needed.

Converse has wide sizes available on their website. 👍

Now the 990’s.... hmmm. 😀

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Ordered the “Clyde” from Puma on 5/3. Still awaiting their arrival. :whistling:

I am also awaiting the arrival of a pair of GSM’s from Onitsuka Tiger. I think I’m in the throes of a sneaker acquisition disorder (amongst many other disorders) while I’ve been working from home. 🤪🙄
B69AE5AD-BE16-402E-895B-C871ED5442E1.jpeg
O

The purchase of the GSM came about when I was looking at some old school sneakers and came across these. I’m always been a fan of this colorway (as you’ve previously seen with my purchase of the Adidias Americana). These sell for about $90 from Onitsuka and I saw them on Zappos for $62 so I had to grab them. About 2 days later, Zappos raised the price to $72 so now I feel even more justified with this purchase. :yesnod:

Listen, if I ever have to justify a purchase on B&B then all is lost. :lol:

C5F76FE9-D6C6-4D24-B28F-BB9070C6F7C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Anu
Top Bottom