What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

Yes, I would agree. In fact I will go so far as to say that my GC.84 SB gives me as smooth & efficient a shave as my CG lvl2 SB. However, nothing beats the looks of the CG. Mine is brass with magnum handle.

They are definitely nice. I’ve got the stainless above and a brass L2 with hammered handle, shown on a previous page in the thread. I got the Game Changer after both Charcoals, and it’s making me think I overspent a bit. :)

They are definitely nice. I’ve got the stainless above and a brass L2 with hammered handle, shown on a previous page in the thread. I got the Game Changer after both Charcoals, and it’s making me think I overspent a bit. :)
I also have less expensive kit (brass Karve) that holds its own for shaving efficiency and smoothness, but not for design or beauty.

1st shave with new CG lvl 2 brass w/ magnum handle. Oh, my... :) Previously had two level 1s with numbering in the 400 range for one and 1,700 on the second. Both were made during the gen 1, 2, 3 & 4 era. I pif'd them both because they bit me periodically going WTG and XTG, never ATG. I don't like razors that bite even after using a non-aggressive technique. It seemed like the blade in the level 1s was not as secure as my new level 2. Maybe blade chatter against my skin? Not sure. YMMV. Shave today with the new L2 was awesome. I'll wait to provide more details after more shaves. :thumbsup: Excellent shave today!

4.29star.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I dont shave every day. Since I posted that, I've tried a vintage Brit Wilkie and a Czech Tiger. Both were an improvement over the polsilver, which is my very favorite blade in most every other razor. I have an Astra SP on deck next.

Charcoal Goods Stainless Level 2 vs Mühle R41 (Thursday)

Astra SP (2) in both
Pre de Provence No. 63 soap
Barrister & Mann Reserve Spice aftershave

Closeness: Dead tie. I couldn't detect a difference.
Comfort: The Charcoal Goods was noticeably smoother, but the R41 wasn't uncomfortable.

--------------------

Charcoal Goods Stainless Level 2 vs Mühle Rocca R96 Gen4 (Friday)

Astra SP (3) in both
Arko soap puck
Aqua Velva Ice Blue Sport aftershave

Closeness: The CG won, but only by the same margin that the R41 usually beats the Rocca.
Comfort: They were extremely close, but my confirmation bias gives the edge to the CGL2.

--------------------

Two more shootout shaves, with the CGL2 getting the right side of my face and the competitors getting the left. Two passes, minimal buffing, no touch-up pass, and no shaving ATG. It would still be tough for most sane people to justify the price of the Charcoal Goods over most other razors, but there's not a lot of sanity in this forum. :) I can definitely say the CG is a *better* razor than the R41 on construction, alone, and it beats the Rocca's handle (just because it's solid). Otherwise, the Mühles are no slouches.

Will I purge my den and give Charcoal Goods my full attention? Probably not. I enjoy the variety too much. A couple of milder razors may find their way to BST, though.

1st shave with new CG lvl 2 brass w/ magnum handle. Oh, my... :) Previously had two level 1s with numbering in the 400 range for one and 1,700 on the second. Both were made during the gen 1, 2, 3 & 4 era. I pif'd them both because they bit me periodically going WTG and XTG, never ATG. I don't like razors that bite even after using a non-aggressive technique. It seemed like the blade in the level 1s was not as secure as my new level 2. Maybe blade chatter against my skin? Not sure. YMMV. Shave today with the new L2 was awesome. I'll wait to provide more details after more shaves. :thumbsup: Excellent shave today!

View attachment 1093641

After my earlier post, I immediately bought 2 more level 2s: stainless and stainless/copper/stainless. They arrived today. Needless to say, I was impressed with my 1st use of the level 2...

:cuppa:

5.4cgoods.jpg

After my earlier post, I immediately bought 2 more level 2s: stainless and stainless/copper/stainless. They arrived today. Needless to say, I was impressed with my 1st use of the level 2...

:cuppa:

View attachment 1095924
I did the same thing after getting my first CG Level 2 - except I got one Level 2 in Stainless and one Level 3. The Level 3 may have been a bridge too far in terms of blade feel, but we’ll see. CG is an extraordinary razor in all respects. Obviously I was impressed as well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Im a couple of weeks into my journey with my Lvl 2 as well. I am really loving the shaves with it. It took a minute to figure out what blades work in the Lvl 2. This razor seems to be more sensitive to blade choice than most. At least for me. Havent ordered another one yet. :) But I do have a Wolfman arriving in a few days, so we will see how that goes.

Im a couple of weeks into my journey with my Lvl 2 as well. I am really loving the shaves with it. It took a minute to figure out what blades work in the Lvl 2. This razor seems to be more sensitive to blade choice than most. At least for me. Havent ordered another one yet. :) But I do have a Wolfman arriving in a few days, so we will see how that goes.
how is that wolfman waiting list. does it move fast.

I did the same thing after getting my first CG Level 2 - except I got one Level 2 in Stainless and one Level 3. The Level 3 may have been a bridge too far in terms of blade feel, but we’ll see. CG is an extraordinary razor in all respects. Obviously I was impressed as well.

Excellent! :a14:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
how is that wolfman waiting list. does it move fast.

I thought it went pretty quick. I was surprised to get my notice when it showed up in my email after only about 7 months. Then once I paid, it was two weeks to shipping. Now I think it will be delivered Thursday.

Not exactly lol. The waiting list opened in September and last I heard they just got into October's orders. Hopefully it's front loaded and moves faster soon.

I am also guessing the same thing. I think everyone signed up in the first several months, then i wouls suspect it was a trickle of signups after that.

And yes, as soon as my order was approved and paid for, I put my name back on the waitlist. Why not!

Regardless, the Charcoal Goods Level 2 is a keeper. I am really enjoying it. Probably the best razor I have right now. It rivals my four Timeless Razors in fit and finish. But I think it gives me a better shave! So right now, Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den!

I would love to hear which blades you've found work best in your Level 2.

Top Bottom