• 80 - 89

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • 90 - 99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 or >100

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah transistor radios... good times... noodle salad.

I had a few of them and liked them all but had one - with 9 transistors. It could play AM, FM, drive an external speaker and had great reception... Whoooie! I was king for a day ;-) I think the good one was either a General Electric or a Realtone

Not to get specific about numbers, but here's a hint: I had a Sony Walkman before they had different models of Sony Walkmans ;-) Yes, that old.

Actually, I think the first American Walkman was the second Walkman. They had one in Japan that was sort of a high-end miniature field recorder or something. But yeah, I remember getting that thing and sitting in the car and just marveling it. This will seem comical in retrospect, but at the time it almost seemed like magic that something so small could play a tape. The demo tape that came with it was wonderfully cheesy. I still remember this sort of electric funk calypso song. The tape wasn't really so much about the music but about demonstrating the impressive dynamic range of the player, so the music was a lot like the early stereo music recorded on albums in: "Living Stereo" with names like "Dyamic Percussion" and "Bongos Reeds & Brass" and "The Electrodynamic Sound" or whatever.

Good lord... everything lives forever on the internet. Here is that song in cheesy stereophonic glory. Note how the instruments pan back and forth to let you know you're listening in S-T-E-R-E-O (lol)

Hahaha - yes I remember dating my future wife at the time and she had a yellow one that I think was waterproof.
I just loved "stealing" it and listening to our home made cassettes!
Brings back some great memories.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
47. "Generation X". One foot in the 80s, one foot in the Baby Boomers.

We get the Nixon jokes, the Dr. Strangelove references. We know music started to seriously suck around 1996. We are Generation X.

And we also know what film your avatar is from. ;)

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
As a fellow gen X’er I agree.....up until the 1996 music sucking part......Radiohead OK Computer, come on man

Agreed. Plenty of great stuff from the late 90s on.....I mean, R.L. Burnside didn't have his resurgence until 1998's "Come on In", Metallica released "Garage Inc" in 98. The White Stripes didn't release De Stilj until 2000. The Black Keys weren't even formed until 2001. Ray Lamontagne, Jason Isbell, Shovels & Rope, JD McPherson, Lucinda Williams breakthrough, a bunch of Steve Earle's stuff, Sturgill Simpson, if all you listened to was pre 1996, man you are doing yourself a disservice.

Fellow proud Gen X'r here - 46.

Last edited:
Agreed. Plenty of great stuff from the late 90s on.....I mean, R.L. Burnside didn't have his resurgence until 1998's "Come on In", Metallica released "Garage Inc" in 98. The White Stripes didn't release De Stilj until 2000. The Black Keys weren't even formed until 2001. Ray Lamontagne, Jason Isbell, Shovels & Rope, JD McPherson, Lucinda Williams breakthrough, a bunch of Steve Earle's stuff, Sturgill Simpson, if all you listened to was pre 1996, man you are doing yourself a disservice.

Fellow proud Gen X'r here - 46.

So true man, so true. In addition, and although from the arbitrary 1996 "cutoff year", what about Counting Crows' _Recovering the Satellites_ ??...... some of the most melodic playing and overdriven hairy clean tone ever put down on record as far as I'm concerned. So many others to mention yet not enough room here to do so.

Like the majority, I am in my 50s. 52 to be exact.

7 more years to retirement!! Or, realistically... 10 more years. :(

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Like the majority, I am in my 50s. 52 to be exact.

7 more years to retirement!! Or, realistically... 10 more years. :(

I am also 52. However, my plan has always been to retire at 55. Although I may just semi-retire and cherry pick my projects, I am well on track to do it as scheduled. Hopefully the world shutdown doesnt extend too far and ruin everyone's plans.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Hmm, looks like I’m in the minority here... time to put on a hunch and grab my cane. What was that saying, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”?

I am also 52. However, my plan has always been to retire at 55. Although I may just semi-retire and cherry pick my projects, I am well on track to do it as scheduled. Hopefully the world shutdown doesnt extend too far and ruin everyone's plans.

I dont think I will fully retire... I will work in a Guitar Center, or be a docent at a museum, get my geneology cert, or become a sommelier or something. I dont think staying at home doing nothing is an option... but I think the IT field can kiss my rear goodbye. :D

you know your old when ...
they have to limit the amount of candle's on your cake due to it being a fire risks .
you're birthday card is a chiselled bit of stone .
your hair dresser spends more time trimming your ear hair than giving you a haircut .
you can no longer trust a fart .

At 77 years old I got checked out by a much younger woman yesterday, don't know if it was a compliment though, she was wearing a mask.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

555babbd-b627-48a0-89b3-3949f6a5630d_text.gif

At 77 years old I got checked out by a much younger woman yesterday, don't know if it was a compliment though, she was wearing a mask.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
More telling were you wearing one ?
p.s. I’m also 77 , an yes sometimes the women can be friendly. More so when wearing a mask . LOL .

Last edited:
More telling were you wearing one ?
p.s. I’m also 77 , an yes sometimes the women can be friendly. More so when wearing a mask . LOL .

are you sure you are not confusing being friendly with caring as in this day and age we need to keep an eye on our seniors ...
ok ill get my coat .

Top Bottom