What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Just follow the line around the hat lol.

Screenshot_2020-05-03 24 Times People Tried To Do Their Own Hair During The Quarantine But It ...png

Ah, cold water shaving. I'm a newbie I experimented with it. They say Ben Franklin claimed it the best way to shave. I'm with you, I'm not a closeness nut, just want comfortable without blood on the floor until I figure out what I'm doing :em2700:. I really like right after shaving using Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel. It's cucumber scented which sure beats wet dog. When that dries, I splash on some Speick after shave. Using a Supply 2.0, which is a heluva bad razor to start with but I've taken on the challenge. No matter what I don't push my luck past two passes.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
From what I've read, opening the spring doesn't cause the problem. Closing the spring (once it's been incorrectly opened) damages the razor and causes the problem. Unless you opened it and then closed it somebody else damaged it (I think).
After perusing fleabay, and reading some nice write-ups about the differences between the springs used, I came across one of the first pictures I took of my Schick Type E, and noticed the spring was bent when I received it. I just didn't know what I was looking at, and thought there was a good chance that I bent the spring myself. So I fixed it myself, with some cussing and needle-nose-pliers.
BentSpring.jpg

Bent Spring.
20200501_151319.jpg

Straightened Spring.

In the meantime, I have located another Type E, that has the open to clean option.:biggrin: I don't know if it will shave any different, but now I will have something to compare it with.:pipe:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Doug @Rosseforp, the E-2 open to clean will definitely shave better.

I searched and searched to find one. Then, I discovered I already had one (and didn't know it). My objective was to experiment with blades (not just via injectors), but I've not done that at all. Still, it's very handy to occasionally get the inside really clean. Makes it shave better for sure.

Congratulations on the find,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Doug @Rosseforp, the E-2 open to clean will definitely shave better.

I searched and searched to find one. Then, I discovered I already had one (and didn't know it). My objective was to experiment with blades (not just via injectors), but I've not done that at all. Still, it's very handy to occasionally get the inside really clean. Makes it shave better for sure.

Congratulations on the find,

Jim
I used strips of 1000 grit sandpaper to clean the inside of mine. Lol
I looked at a lot of model G and E's. This one looks to be in slightly better condition than the first one I got, I'll find out when it shows up, right now it is in BELLMAWR, NJ , with a Wednesday delivery.

Nice Schick Injector Type E (1935-1945) Caramel Bakelite Handle Gold Tone

Note of Interest
There were a couple of spring options. Some you could pivot left to lower the safety bar for cleaning.
Others were blocked on both sides of the spring.

This Type E is a model E2, which is the more desireable, as the spring can be moved to the left to lower the safety bar for cleaning. This model also has the "textured" gold tone head.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I looked at a lot of model G and E's. This one looks to be in slightly better condition than the first one I got, I'll find out when it shows up, right now it is in BELLMAWR, NJ , with a Wednesday delivery.

Note of Interest
There were a couple of spring options. Some you could pivot left to lower the safety bar for cleaning.

This Type E is a model E2, which is the more desireable, as the spring can be moved to the left to lower the safety bar for cleaning. This model also has the "textured" gold tone head.

View attachment 1095461View attachment 1095462View attachment 1095463

The ones with tabs/bumps on both sides of the springs don't open (according to my understanding).

This looks like a good example. It looks very similar to mine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You guys are so funny... :a14:

Tuesday's shave wasn't funny but it was fun.

5-5-20.Vitos.70:30.FOCS.640.JPG

This 70/30 knot isn't broken in but it is coming along. It's going to be a good one I think.

This morning's rhythm was disrupted a bit. As a result I totally forgot to use Hyaluronic Acid; I have none at the office and am already there. I do have lots of splashes at the office but haven't picked one and may not.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You guys are so funny... :a14:

Tuesday's shave wasn't funny but it was fun.

View attachment 1096141

This 70/30 knot isn't broken in but it is coming along. It's going to be a good one I think.

This morning's rhythm was disrupted a bit. As a result I totally forgot to use Hyaluronic Acid; I have none at the office and am already there. I do have lots of splashes at the office but haven't picked one and may not.

Happy shaves,

Jim
No Hyaluronic acid or splash? I'd have to use a splash at least or I might feel a bit naked lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
No Hyaluronic acid or splash? I'd have to use a splash at least or I might feel a bit naked lol.

I've managed so far (Cal would be so proud of me) and it's already after lunch. Maybe I can go a few more hours.

1588696655500.png

I will definitely apply HA when I get home from work. No reason not to, and I've learned how much it helps me. Suddenly women just out of college are hitting on me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Note of Interest

View attachment 1095461View attachment 1095462View attachment 1095463
Looks like a E1 with out the flat spring variant type. They made a version of the round spring E1(.2?) that has the swivel to the left IMO. Looks like in good condition, I converted a E2 to a E1 by straightning the keeper tap with no regrets.
This E2 was found at a Antique store in Northern Alberta in very rough shape with the spring damaged, cleaned it up and made the change! Great razor and for sure a keeper & have used it many times.
Schick swivel 2.jpg
Schick swivel1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday my shave was easy and good.

Chubby2inBest.Vitos.5-6-20.FOCS.640.JPG

The Chubby 2 in Best may be beginning to soften up a bit. I hope I'm not imagining it.

Great razor this Fatip Slant! Really great razor.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yesterday I did use the HA, but forgot to use the splash. Not that anybody noticed except me as I was home all day. My wife, as far as I know, never notices my splash. The only person who does, to my certain knowledge, is my secretary. She comments occasionally. Entirely favorably so far.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom