What's new

I'm Down To One Setup

Spring is here. Time for me to start shaving again. Since the last time I shaved, a few things have changed. My old cabinet is gone as it had seen better days, and my gear is in boxes. I have no place to put my gear right now. I have enough space for one soap!

I therefore had to pick one soap and one aftershave. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I started with the soaps and narrowed it down to these:

20200430_203519.jpg

The unmarked one is Klar. I then narrowed it down to 3:

20200430_203549.jpg

These are all terrific May scents. But I had to decide on one:

20200430_203601.jpg

Mystic Waters Lily of the Valley. This scent is perfect for May. It'll match my outside world as we have lily of the valley growing in our garden. Also, it'll force me to get more consistent lathers with Mystic Waters soaps. I love the soaps, but sometimes I get the disappearing lather effect with them.

Next was the aftershave, which was surprisingly easy:

20200430_203755.jpg

I pulled this one out first and smelled it against the Lily of the Valley. It was a perfect combination. I went with it without any knockout-type selection process.

So there we have it. My final gear looks like this:

20200430_220508.jpg

I'm going to do this for the whole month of May and report back on how it went.

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Hope you at least have space to air dry your brush after use! I have very limited countertop/shelf space as well, but enough that I can have 3 sets (currently sitting at two).

That is some good carbon dating.
The bowl is the giveaway; they changed to bowls and lids to a lighter red with a different picture on the lid like this. It was someone on this forum who alerted me to the change.
IMG_0416b.JPG However if the soap is stored away from air and sunlight it can last a few years.

I live in a really humid area and was using Cella only once in a while. It eventually went bad (rancid smell)--but it was several years old by then. Since then I let my soaps dry out before I put the lid back on and I've reduced the number of soaps to less than 10. My next goal is to get it down to 5.

I live in a really humid area and was using Cella only once in a while. It eventually went bad (rancid smell)--but it was several years old by then. Since then I let my soaps dry out before I put the lid back on and I've reduced the number of soaps to less than 10. My next goal is to get it down to 5.

Good luck! What's your plan to get it down to 5? You gonna 3017 some, or PIF, or throw them out?

Good luck! What's your plan to get it down to 5? You gonna 3017 some, or PIF, or throw them out?
I've been 3017ing soaps. So far this year I've finished up two Stirling soaps and a Razorock (that got me from 12 down to 9). I've thought about PIFing one or two, but the only one I wouldn't rebuy is a Stirling Coconut Lime soap so it's the most likely candidate. Everything else will just continue to slowly diminish as long as I stay away from my biggest weakness--sales (I have 3 Proraso soaps I bought at TJMaxx for $4 each--I struggle passing on those deals).

Nice choices. The Mystic Water Lily of the Valley has a fantastic scent!

I almost always get great lathers from Mystic Water. Small additions of water at a time, mixed until completely incorporated, and more TIME making the lather are your friends with these soaps. I LOVE them. Have fun with the May set-up.

I'm 9 days in and the one setup is holding pat. I'm shaving every other day because SWMBO says I cilantro spend an hour every day shaving with 2 kiddos running around the house. I used a cartridge for one shave and I experienced BBS. It was one of the best shaves of my life. The others have been DFS, including one I did with a Tetra, a blade I received a PIF for and am reviewing here.

Well, I couldn't make it a whole month. I did pretty good, getting halfway through. But I insisted on setting up my new shave den. Once that was done, I switched setups. Knowing myself, this was predictable. How can I use only Lily of the Valley when Lilac is sitting right there? Still, 15 days of one setup is impressive... for me.

I’m like two years into using one setup. I got to a point where I haven’t felt like rotating anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom