What's new

*Fatip Slant*

Just to give you a little conflicting advice :001_smile, I say use R41s and Fatip OCs STEEP (i.e. handle close to face) for best results (the guard stretches the skin in front of the blade). If DE Razors were meant to be used shallow (i.e. riding the cap — where you bunch the skin up and push the blade into it) there would be no sense in putting guards on the baseplate as the guards wouldn't be used. Of course SHALLOW is good with straights which are simply BLADE and nothing else.

That's my two cents. YMMV :001_tt2:

I am, naturally, a proud member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :cornut:

I see what you mean, but i gotta say the r41 in a steep angle is pure nightmare stuff, idk if the blade sits too flat on the baseplate or what but it feels just like scrapping bark off a tree.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This is a TRULY GREAT RAZOR!
018_25.jpg

I see what you mean, but i gotta say the r41 in a steep angle is pure nightmare stuff, idk if the blade sits too flat on the baseplate or what but it feels just like scrapping bark off a tree.
IMO the correct way to start shaving with any unknown DE razor is so steep that only the guard touches your face... then gently lift the handle until the blade makes contact. There should be very slight pressure from the guard and virtually NO PRESSURE from the blade, just the sound of the whiskers being cut.

Obviously with a DE razor you're not used to, it may take a little while to achieve the right angle of attack, along with the correct pressures (for both the guard and the blade), everywhere on your face and neck. But then all that learning stuff is part of the fun (for me anyway).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just to give you a little conflicting advice :001_smile, I say use R41s and Fatip OCs STEEP (i.e. handle close to face) for best results (the guard stretches the skin in front of the blade). If DE Razors were meant to be used shallow (i.e. riding the cap — where you bunch the skin up and push the blade into it) there would be no sense in putting guards on the baseplate as the guards wouldn't be used. Of course SHALLOW is good with straights which are simply BLADE and nothing else.

I am, naturally, a proud member of the SASA (Steep Angle Shavers Alliance). :cornut:

I'm a big fan of shaving intuitively by feedback which means tactile, audible, and visual feedback. Because of that and because of what I learned once I figured out how to observe and pay attention to what was going on, I'm a steep angle shaver with safety razors. That's been to my great advantage.

Captain of the Obvious (meme).jpg

On my lower lip I do have to buff a lot to get smoothness. During that buffing some of my feedback driven shaving is at a shallow angle. Mostly though my safety razors are used steep.

I seem to be only using the Fatip OC Slant these days, but the R41 can definitely be used, and should be used I think, steep. All safety razors...

I agree entirely with Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Only crazy people say they aren't crazy, everybody else is. Lol. Also, crazy people have to be told they are crazy. :c1:
Thank you, thank you for this. Finally someone who understands my plight. I've been trying to get them to see that they are all in denial, and that's not just a river in Egypt. Sometimes I find it tries my very sense of sanity itself. We must, however, endeavor to persevere, right? :wink2:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, thank you for this. Finally someone who understands my plight. I've been trying to get them to see that they are all in denial, and that's not just a river in Egypt. Sometimes I find it tries my very sense of sanity itself. We must, however, endeavor to persevere, right? :wink2:

"Speak To Me" - Pink Floyd

"I've been mad for f**king years, absolutely years,
been over the edge for yonks,
been working me buns off for bands..."

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad,
like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

I think this just about sums things up. ;) :letterk1:

The Mad Hatter, “Have I gone mad?”

Alice, “You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret, all the best people are.”

Yes, this made me think of you. LOL.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to.
catch-22-body2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to.
View attachment 1093466
Loved the movie. :)

I agree 100%.

The Fatip piccolo for me is unusable unless it's steep, very steep. The first few shaves with it at neutral angle were exceptionally close but the damned thing planed my face back to a burning hot red mess that took days to recover. I tried again with as little pressure as humanly possible to only get a similar result. I then tried riding the cap with the pressure of a mouse fart. Ha! It did the same skin removing surgery as the previous two times (same astra sp blade) and I was peed off and ready to send the Fatip to the hall of shame. It was only through disbelief that it was impossible to use that I used my brain and practiced blade less on my hand with the steep angle. I noticed the comb puckers up the hairs to get cut down easily without the blade touching the skin so heavily.

Tried it with a fresh blade super steep and bingo. Shaves close, smooth and like a beast and it's been used every shave for weeks now. Steep does feel a bit tuggy but I actually like the feedback/sensation, its more intuitive to feel and hear than a normal set up that glides.

I've never used a slant but if I buy one,it'll be this Fatip model.

Top Bottom