What's new

April 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in! Not sure about May yet, my birthday is at the end of the week and I'm going to really want to try some new creams and learn soaps with my birthday Amazon GCs. But that's the future. For now, I'm still in!

SOTD
  • Schone
  • Nacet (4)
  • Tabac
  • Maggard 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
I binned the last blade after 20 shaves and the Schone seems to prefer a new blade. Of course, that blade was a carryover from time in the Piccolo, so that wasn't really fair to the Schone. Still, the Schone seems to be performing better, though that might be due more to me learning the razor.

After a while more, I'll try some top cap/base/handle combinations between the two razors to try to dial in what I like. I suspect that I'll like the Piccolo base with the Shone handle and top cap, but we shall see...

Still in, contemplating taking a break from Núavia - which I consider to be the top performer on all counts - and finish off whatever bits and pieces of soaps and creams are stored in the long forgotten shoe box I rediscovered while cleaning up the house. Wondering if they will measure up... Only one way to find out, I guess.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I took my Titan 1918 ACRM-2 (Vesperum) SR for a drive. This blade passes the Fool's Pass Test (FPT).

I normally use Proraso green cream for my face lather, however this morning I decided to give Sanofi cream (Australian) a go. From previous experience, I knew that I would need at least twice as much Sanofi cream as I would normally use with Proraso to get the same lather. So I applied a good 12mm to 15mm of cream to my brush.

The two-pass shave went surprising well. Dare I say the the Sanofi performed better than the Proraso? The Sanofi is about half the price of Proraso, so they are of equivalent value.

I also again tested the blade with the FPT. It passed with flying colours.

Overall another great morning's shave.

Still in.

Still in. Since we are reaching the end of the month, here is a summary of my shaves.

I continued shaving daily despite staying at home. I started the month using an Arko puck as a stick (for fun and experimentation) and I have lately moved to DR Harris Almond, partially lathering on the puck and finishing on the face. Both are excellent and will be missed when used up.

Brush-wise, I was once again all over the place. Most used was my synthetic but despite being the better performer, I prefer using up a bit more soap and face lather with my boars.

I got my most enjoyable shaves with the Merkur Progress. I will continue using it until I fancy a change.

Despite the RR game changer being all the rage, I prefer my zamac razors. I get closer and easier shaves with the 34c and the DE89 than the .68. If I want mid-aggressive, the Progress and the Piccolo are better on my face than the .84 variants. I also find the .84 OC and Jaws too much for daily use. I think that I am more comfortable with small blade gap and if needed/wanted, some blade feel.

I also have a "kill" to report. I finally managed to finish a bottle of B&M Spice AS after almost 170 uses.

Happy shaves everyone! Stay safe and see you next month! :)

Here we go - the May thread is up:

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Stuart Ganis
3) @Schnitzel52
4) @GaryTha
5) @Timeclo - (4/19: Giveaway Prize)
6) @RTM
7) @Sotiris_A
8) @Wgg2017 - out (4/1: B&M Nordost, Timeless Ti .95 SB)
9) @RookieGuy
10) @02flhtci
11) @Chandu
12) @fhalden - out (4/3: Pinaud Clubman Reserve x3)
13) @Cino
14) @lightfoot
15) @rbscebu
16) @RigelDust - out (4/4: Barrister & Mann x2)
17) @Fred D
18) @Billy T.
19) @DCRIII
20) @Roedeer
21) @Chef455 - out (4/3: Timeless .68)
22) @Flintstone65 - out (4/26: too much!)
23) @Tomo - out (4/23: ???)
24) @Tedolph - out (4/8?: Arkansas hone)

Overall, we have had a success rate of roughly 2/3, which isn't terrible. :D

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With a little over 4 hours to go before my April GRUME finishes, I had one last shave this evening with my GD W59, Sanofi cream and Growing Bro. badger brush. Only a single XTG pass as I had shaved to my normal DFS standard this morning. I also want to have something to shave tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I'll place some orders with Lazada and AliExpress before starting the May GRUME. I think I will then favour my Titan 1918 ACRO SR.

Congratulations to all those who are completing the April GRUME and I wish you all well.

Top Bottom