What's new

Worcestershire sauce

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's pretty much a staple around here. We always have an opened bottle in the fridge and a unopened backup in the pantry. It was that way when I grew up, too.

It goes into all sorts of stuff around here. Like the rest of you, it goes into ground beef for burgers or meatloaf. I use it on stuff that goes onto the pit to hold a rub. My grandfather mixed it with melted butter and lemon juice for a steak marinade and baste, and I still do that from time to time. I can't begin to think of everything else it gets into, such as the homemade barbecue sauce, beer cheese, soups & stews, cocktail sauce, Bloody Marys, and just about anything else that "just needs a little 'something.'"

I'd be lying if I said I never sipped a little bit of it straight.

I agree that L&P is the only way to go, too. I remember when, right after we were married, my lovely bride came back from the store with a bottle of something else (French's, I think) because it was cheaper. That may have been the first time I actually held a bottle of any Worcestershire sauce that wasn't L&P. It was terrible stuff. After that, we had a brief talk about the difference between "cost" and "value."

Glosta-shur
GLOSS-tu-shur
I live about half a mile from the old Gloster Aircraft Company's airfield where the first Whittle jet took its first flight. They were originally Gloucestershire Aircraft Company and started as a bicycle maker in nearly Cheltenham. They had to change the name to Gloster as people round the world couldn't pronounce it!

The big chant at the Gloucester Rugby Club is GLAWSTUUUR... proper West Country round these 'ere parts. None of that London rubbish

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No Worcestershire for me. Yorkshire!
Specifically, Sheffield.

hendersons_relish.jpg

It's kind of like Worcestershire sauce, but better. Much better in my rather biased opinion. If you can track down and try a bottle of Hendo's as it's known round here, you might just have bought your last bottle of Lea and Perrins.

We always put it in the fridge because it's made with anchovies. I keep fish sauce in the fridge too. It's just an extra precaution that's all.
Fish sauce in the fridge is definitely extra. The fermentation process kills bacteria and while additional fermentation may change the taste over a very long period of time, if the product is properly capped the growth of harmful bacteria is not really a thing with fish sauce. Only thing might be a shake once in a while if unused as occasionally some yucchy stuff may develop at the cap where there isn't enough salt.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
IMHO keep it firmly sealed, in a cool dry place, and out of direct sunlight. Both fridge and cupboard can suffice.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have been tempted to try this locally made version, I guess I should just for comparison purposes.

Be sure and let us know if you do. I'm very curious. I'd pick some up, myself, but it's not available in my area, and it could cost me nearly $30 (with shipping) to get one bottle to me.

Be sure and let us know if you do. I'm very curious. I'd pick some up, myself, but it's not available in my area, and it could cost me nearly $30 (with shipping) to get one bottle to me.

yeah, it’s pricey enough locally, that’s why I’ve always balked at putting it in my cart. Stupid really when I think about it, don’t give it a second thought to pay the same for a 6 pack of fancy beer that is gone in 2hrs, priorities I guess. I’ll pick a bottle up next time I get to the store, whenever that will be.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's pretty much a staple around here. We always have an opened bottle in the fridge and a unopened backup in the pantry. It was that way when I grew up, too.

It goes into all sorts of stuff around here. Like the rest of you, it goes into ground beef for burgers or meatloaf. I use it on stuff that goes onto the pit to hold a rub. My grandfather mixed it with melted butter and lemon juice for a steak marinade and baste, and I still do that from time to time. I can't begin to think of everything else it gets into, such as the homemade barbecue sauce, beer cheese, soups & stews, cocktail sauce, Bloody Marys, and just about anything else that "just needs a little 'something.'"

I'd be lying if I said I never sipped a little bit of it straight.

I agree that L&P is the only way to go, too. I remember when, right after we were married, my lovely bride came back from the store with a bottle of something else (French's, I think) because it was cheaper. That may have been the first time I actually held a bottle of any Worcestershire sauce that wasn't L&P. It was terrible stuff. After that, we had a brief talk about the difference between "cost" and "value."
The difference between L&P and French’s is like the difference between a Yugo and a Rolls Royce, IMO

Top Bottom