What's new

Soap Smelling (or performing) So Bad You Had to Toss It?

Have you ever had a soap that you just absolutely loathed? Or maybe just the scent or performance? Enough to toss it out? I did just that this morning.

When DG came out with their new Milksteak formula, I ordered three tubs (YRP, Tris, ATR) and the performance is indeed fantastic. What I didn't know (totally my fault) was that Tris was a TdH clone and I despise TdH. I got through about half the puck, but this morning, I couldn't take it anymore. Just threw it out. I feel similarly about YRP...the rose and patch is so predominant that it smells like potpourri, and I am having a hard time using it.

Conversely, I also binned a twice used puck of Henri et Victoria Triple Milled Vegetal Nautilus. Liked the smell (very subtle), but the performance was absolutely awful and impossible for someone like me to use even with my milder razors.

Tell your story of rage-induced binning!

I've got an entire brand that I don't like due to scents. Wholly Kaw and I just don't get along. I've smelled Denarius, Rebelle, Entropy Man, King of Oud, Project Leather, Merchant of Tobacco, Fougere Mania, Fougere Bouquet and probably one or two others I'm not thinking of. Some of them were ok but, for the most part, I couldn't stand any of them. Luckily most were samples. No complaints about the performance though.

I had a sample of Australia Private Reserve Bombora. The description sounded like it would be right up my alley for the types of scents I like.

I couldn’t even finish and had to stop and wash my face with multiple different chemicals, anything I could get my hands on, to get rid of the stench. It must have been a bad batch. It smelled like a cattle stockyard in hot sun. In particular, in Central California, there is a huge stockyard of thousands of cattle where one of the main interstate highways passes through. It smells really bad. That place was the scent of my sample.

I was even expecting to attract flies. It was that bad. I better not think more of it. It may cause Post Traumatic Shave Syndrome. I’m to scared to order another sample to give a second chance.

Van yulay smells great lathers nooot!
Meissner Tremonia cream great smell but lather so thin only usable on some of my razors (focus dynamic).
Some natural olive oil soap smell and lather beuh

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have had hard soaps that I disliked enough to relegate them to use as hand or bath soap. That said, I would never throw into the bin a twice used soap puck, or any barely used shave product, and frankly I cannot understand why anyone would. I would PIF it or donate it rather than consign it to landfill. 👍

well, this vintage pierre cardin puck, and a vintage colgate puck (in contrast the colgate sticks), were total duds and were tossed!!

pierre cardin jan 3 2014.jpg

aqua velva colgate soap gillette fatboy jan 14 2014-7937s.jpg

Reactions: CCR
I haven't had to toss away anything but the closest I came to it was Arko for me. I used it as a bathroom cleaner and did its job pretty well. Derby is somewhat in that same pot but I still use it here and there as I can withstand the scent.

Ariana & Evans Asian Pear...it smelled like hairspray to me...exactly like a coworker’s hairspray that is noxious.

I really wanted to try it, but I couldn’t get over the smell. I gave it away.

Vr

Matt

I bought an artisan soap in Key West, FL. The scent was OK but the performance was terrible. No matter how long I loaded the brush and no matter how wet or dry the brush was, all I got was a weak, runny lather. In fact, we couldn't even use it in the shower!

Got a sample of Shannon’s Soap when I bought one of my Zenith brushes. The scent was called black magic... it reminded me of whatever deodorizer cleaning solution a pat veterinarian would spray after expressing a dogs anal gland.

I guess I just don’t have it in me to be wasteful. I pressed it into a lather bowl this very afternoon as my wife didn’t mind the scent and said she’d use it for shaving her gams. Once it was lathered they scent profile changed and it was actually a nice scent but for some reason the soap in its packaging was a bit traumatic to my senses.

I ordered some Maggard Razors branded soap and it burned my face. Can't remember the scent; I threw it out. Been hesitant to use any of there soaps - or Through the Fire Fine Craft, who makes them - since.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Herban Cowboy, Joshua Tree, Dr. Bronners all went to the shower.

Most recently Buff City. Smelled great, just wasn't shave soap. Olive oil!

AA

I ordered some Maggard Razors branded soap and it burned my face. Can't remember the scent; I threw it out. Been hesitant to use any of there soaps - or Through the Fire Fine Craft, who makes them - since.

I had that happen once. The Oleo "Providence" soap burned my face so bad, I only used it once. PIFd that one though.

Got a sample of Shannon’s Soap when I bought one of my Zenith brushes. The scent was called black magic... it reminded me of whatever deodorizer cleaning solution a pat veterinarian would spray after expressing a dogs anal gland.

I guess I just don’t have it in me to be wasteful. I pressed it into a lather bowl this very afternoon as my wife didn’t mind the scent and said she’d use it for shaving her gams. Once it was lathered they scent profile changed and it was actually a nice scent but for some reason the soap in its packaging was a bit traumatic to my senses.

I have only ever tried one of Shannon's soap and it was the Rust Belt Reserve "Lakeshore Drive" and I actually really enjoyed it...planning to buy it sometime in fact.

I've got an entire brand that I don't like due to scents. Wholly Kaw and I just don't get along. I've smelled Denarius, Rebelle, Entropy Man, King of Oud, Project Leather, Merchant of Tobacco, Fougere Mania, Fougere Bouquet and probably one or two others I'm not thinking of. Some of them were ok but, for the most part, I couldn't stand any of them. Luckily most were samples. No complaints about the performance though.

I had a couple of their scents a couple of years ago and didn't like them either. I did however 3017 them anyway...

Didn’t throw them away but bought Sni Mato on a friend’s recommendation and hated it from the first second I opened the tub. I shaved with it just to see and it clung around the bathroom until the next day. Gave it to the friend that recommended it.

Won a tub of Asian Pear on IG and used it once and gave it away. It smelled like plastic to me. Hated it.

Top Bottom