What's new

Slickest soaps out there

Thanks. I thought that hydration might be the problem, the lather is acceptable in the first pass but thins out easily in the next two passes.

The brush seems kinda empty after finishing the second pass, if I load more I must face lather all over again and it doesn't feel much comfortable on a freshly shaved face. I did it once, although the tuxedo is soft I had some irritations and the lather became more thick than I needed to be, so I couldn't catch the left over hairs!

The Yaqis that I have (5) are all excellent values!
Hydration might certainly be your problem here but I'll also add something that a lot of people never talk about nor even know it happens. When you are lathering your first pass it will always seem thicker than the 2nd or 3rd because your stubble is longer and holds more of the lather to your face than on the 2nd / 3rd passes... I used to bowl lather but didn't really notice this until I started face lathering full time. Its very deceiving from 1st pass to the next but more pronounced when you face lather...

I am an exclusive Stirling user and like I said I used to bowl lather and changed about a year and a half ago as I actually feel I get more satisfying lathers overall now. I use 3 synthetic brushes which I purchased knots and handles independently from different vendors except for a Whipped Dog synth I purchased a couple months after I started traditional wet shaving in late 2016. I've learned what works best for me is during or after I have filled my sink with water I will splay whichever brush I'm using under water, squeeze and wring the knot while pushing the knot into my hand between my thumb and index finger so as not to pull the knot out of the brush, and then proceed to load the brush out of one of my Stirling tubs. Circular strokes for about 15-20 seconds is all I need as I'm only building enough lather for 2 passes which seems sometimes like I have actually enough for 4-5 passes usually... I then move to my face and splay and with circular strokes I start to build the lather and 2 or 3 times in between I will just dunk the tips of the brush only to pick up water to help hydrate the lather. This is what has worked best for me in my experimentation since late 2016.

The recently updated Pheonix & Beau recipe that cites glycerine as second ingredient is, as you'd guess, incredibly slick.

For me, it's about slickness with cushion. You can make any soap runny by using too much water.

MWF is my go to for straight razor shaving. I put it on in it’s usual consistency and then hydrate up with a wet tipped brush before putting it to the blade.

In terms of slickness, Saponificio Varesino and Wholly Kaw are tough to beat. For some reason MWF works best with the straight. Haslinger would probably be similar.

Cold River Glide and Select, with well-hydrated B&M Reserve in a close second place.

The primary slickness is teriffic on both CRSW soaps, but the residual slickness is better on the Glide.

Similarly, the primary slickness is teriffic on B&M Reserve and Excelsior, but the residual slickness is better on Excelsior.

Not everyone cares about residual slickness, but my skin does.

If you have the money to spend; Antica Barbieria Colla. It's very very good soap just definitely not worth the money when there are other great soaps for much less.

You can make any soap slick by using a pre-shave oil. Drove it in with a hot wash cloth and your shave will be slick for sure!

Stirling
Sebum Gold soaps (especially Tonka)
Santa Maria Novella Crema De Barba
Long Rifle Soap Company
Eufros

All five have excellent primary and residual slickness!

Vr

Matt

Thanks. I thought that hydration might be the problem, the lather is acceptable in the first pass but thins out easily in the next two passes.

The brush seems kinda empty after finishing the second pass, if I load more I must face lather all over again and it doesn't feel much comfortable on a freshly shaved face. I did it once, although the tuxedo is soft I had some irritations and the lather became more thick than I needed to be, so I couldn't catch the left over hairs!

The Yaqis that I have (5) are all excellent values!
This is why I bowl lather now. You never run out of lather and it is very gentle on the face. The lather stays warm and is very consistent through out the shave. If you wish you can still scrub the lather in with some gusto but by the third pass you probably don’t want to.

This is why I bowl lather now. You never run out of lather and it is very gentle on the face. The lather stays warm and is very consistent through out the shave. If you wish you can still scrub the lather in with some gusto but by the third pass you probably don’t want to.

Dear @Tomo,
I can not agree with you more.
I had been a face-latherer for several years because I thought face lathering can lessen stuffs.
However, I often have issues with building enough lather for 4 passes.
Now I switch to bowl lathering and find it's great.

Pretty much every soap on the market these days provide plenty of slickness, but a few that come to mind are:

Haslinger- this stuff gets mentioned so much I tend to cast it aside but DANG is it ever slick!

Mike's Natural- well known Artisan that has been around a while with a formula to stand the test of time.

Queen Charlotte Soaps- no longer in production but a amazing soap base.

Ballenclaugh- one of my favorite soap Bases that is criminally underrated IMO.

My 6 slickest soaps (or croaps, or creams):
Tabac
Klar
Acca Kappa White Moss
Saponificio Varesino
Tabula Rasa
Mike's Natural
Of all these, I only tested Tabac since I started shaving with a straight this last couple of months. I also used 2 other (unnamed) soaps touted for their slickness, and after the first pass I switched to Tabac for the rest of the shave. What a difference! I also find Tabac aftershave really good, and the scent more tolerable than the soap. Eventually I'll put my other 5 slickest soaps (with a DE) to the test, so that I have alternatives.

Not a big fan of Grooming dept., but these soaps are really slick once you dial on them. They do not win on overall against other artisan/brands, mostly because I have not get to love the secnts I have sniff. Still need to give a try to some of the ones mentioned around, like Declaration grooming, specifically, That's my quest for 2018.
Grooming Department really does leave the skin really conditioned.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom