What's new

New offering from Bic

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I haven't been around this section of B&B so if this has been mentioned before, apologies. I suspect this is simply a Flex 5 with nicer handle. This appears to be Bic's play of just making on razor for any and all.

It sure does look like the Flex 5. They are capitalizing on several trends at once.
  • Anger from men at Gillette for their Toxic Masculinity marketing blunders.
  • Resentment from women from having pretty colored feminized versions of existing products pushed on them at higher prices
  • Annoyance at having special versions of products pushed for body grooming
  • Everybody annoyed by the high prices of cartridges
  • Gender-neutral products
  • Buy everything online while you are in lock-down

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@Atlantic59 You make some valid points. Some I thought of but some I did not. If they are the same quality as their Flex line they should do well.

Last edited:
I am great fan of unisex fragrances and get rather annoyed at sales assistant that believe the products are aimed at one specific market. However that all inclusive gender neutral advert from Bic, has put me off. I believe men should be masculine and women feminine. Androgyny isn't appealing to me.

The razor has already been released in the UK, although with a Mach 3 compatible cartridge.

I am great fan of unisex fragrances and get rather annoyed at sales assistant that believe the products are aimed at one specific market. However that all inclusive gender neutral advert from Bic, has put me off. I believe men should be masculine and women feminine. Androgyny isn't appealing to me...
Using a razor with a gender-neutral design does not feminize you. The styling and advertising that makes a razor "masculine" or "feminine" is superficial and illusory. When you have finished shaving, no one will know what you used.

From a practical point-of-view, it is wasteful to maintain dual product lines that are almost identical. You need twice as much marketing and advertising fluff. More parts, assembly line chage-overs, packaging, shelf space, it just goes on and on. If the company can give you a cartridge for half the price because it has much less overhead, isn't that a positive thing?

The Flex5 is the best razor I've used in a long time. If this one is as good, I'd buy it in a heartbeat with the caveat that I really hope they sell the refill carts in retail stores; I have to order Flex5 refills online unless I want to accumulate a bunch of handles that I don't need.

I haven't been around this section of B&B so if this has been mentioned before, apologies. I suspect this is simply a Flex 5 with nicer handle. This appears to be Bic's play of just making on razor for any and all.

From the pictures, it looks like the cartridge attachment is different than the one on the Flex, more like the Mach 3 attachment. Hopefully it shaves just as well as the Flex.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
From the pictures, it looks like the cartridge attachment is different than the one on the Flex, more like the Mach 3 attachment. Hopefully it shaves just as well as the Flex.
That seems to fit with what @Sabre said, which means it opens the handle up to more cartridges which is not a bad thing.

Using a razor with a gender-neutral design does not feminize you. The styling and advertising that makes a razor "masculine" or "feminine" is superficial and illusory. When you have finished shaving, no one will know what you used.

From a practical point-of-view, it is wasteful to maintain dual product lines that are almost identical. You need twice as much marketing and advertising fluff. More parts, assembly line chage-overs, packaging, shelf space, it just goes on and on. If the company can give you a cartridge for half the price because it has much less overhead, isn't that a positive thing?
It's not a gender neutral design. It's the same product which was previously aimed at the Bic Shave Club. My girlfriend prefers a standard Gillette Fusion, I have nothing against gender neutral products.

Although the marketing of some razors is aimed at women, most of them use the same cartridges as razors marked to men. One of the few exceptions is the Gillette Venus razor that had a larger head design, presumably to make shaving of underarms and other sensitive areas more comfortable for women. Nearly all other shaving products can be used by either men or wemen, including straight razors, SE razors, DE razors, shaving brushes, soaps and creams. If I shaved my underarms, which I don't, a straight razor would not be my tool of choice, but even then a round point shorty might work.

Although the marketing of some razors is aimed at women, most of them use the same cartridges as razors marked to men. One of the few exceptions is the Gillette Venus razor that had a larger head design, presumably to make shaving of underarms and other sensitive areas more comfortable for women. Nearly all other shaving products can be used by either men or wemen, including straight razors, SE razors, DE razors, shaving brushes, soaps and creams. If I shaved my underarms, which I don't, a straight razor would not be my tool of choice, but even then a round point shorty might work.
The Venus was rebadged as the Body Razor, so you could manscape...

Is this available only online? I thought I saw this at a local Shopper's Drug Mart. I'll have to double check.

It's not a gender neutral design. It's the same product which was previously aimed at the Bic Shave Club. My girlfriend prefers a standard Gillette Fusion, I have nothing against gender neutral products.
BIC is marketing it nowadays as gender-neutral. Anyway, I don't see how using a razor formerly marketed to men feminizes you. Now, if they had come out with a version in hot pink, maybe!
:biggrin1:

Confused...
I am great fan of unisex fragrances and get rather annoyed at sales assistant that believe the products are aimed at one specific market. However that all inclusive gender neutral advert from Bic, has put me off. I believe men should be masculine and women feminine. Androgyny isn't appealing to me...
I just did not see how using this product would make you less masculine because either a man or a woman could use it. You, yourself don't become androgynous. The razor is just a tool.

Top Bottom