What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ll bet you’re a hell of a lot prettier too!

I think the descriptor which best applies is less ugly.

Any lasting benefits/lessons learned, Jim?

Yeah, maybe this time I'll remember that the best Fixed starts and ends with a kit which is familiar and already pretty well known. Also, that, for me, the third Fixed was a lot easier than the first two which might have something to do with the first sentence.

Vitos %22Red%22 4-1-20. 380.jpg

I learned something about my Vitos "Red" soap, too. It is flat out a keeper. I already knew it was a really good soap, but now I also know it didn't dry my skin over a month of using it exclusively; an otherwise good soap not being over time a drying soap is a very big deal in my world. I'd call it thoroughly vetted now.

Learned something about how easy it is to maintain an already sharp straight razor's edge.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
@Chan Eil Whiskers I don't chase a BBS shave or DFS. Socially acceptable is my goal. One pass with the grain and pick ups. My skin is sensitive, rough due to acne scarring, and still isn't trouble-free (and I'm 45 so likely never will be). Aggressive razors, blades, and multiple pass shaves turn me into a slasher movie extra.

Shaved once with my wife's AS-D2 - that's a fantastic piece of kit. Mild, so I ran a new Gillette Silver Blue. Easily among the top 5 shaves I've ever had.

I suffered from razor burn on my neck for years and for the first 6 months I DE shaved. Then I conscientiously mapped my beard growth and realized that in that one area the grain is different from everywhere else on my neck/face. Since then, no irritation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers I don't chase a BBS shave or DFS. Socially acceptable is my goal. One pass with the grain and pick ups. My skin is sensitive, rough due to acne scarring, and still isn't trouble-free (and I'm 45 so likely never will be). Aggressive razors, blades, and multiple pass shaves turn me into a slasher movie extra.

Shaved once with my wife's AS-D2 - that's a fantastic piece of kit. Mild, so I ran a new Gillette Silver Blue. Easily among the top 5 shaves I've ever had.

I suffered from razor burn on my neck for years and for the first 6 months I DE shaved. Then I conscientiously mapped my beard growth and realized that in that one area the grain is different from everywhere else on my neck/face. Since then, no irritation.

Very wise.

I don't know if this would work for you, but I find doing a one pass ATG shave to be a paradoxical but good for me practice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first shave after the Fixed varied only the brush.

4-2-20.Zenith.Silvertip.New.136.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

It is my new Zenith silvertip (lathered up with it during the Fixed, but this is its first outing during a shave).

Very very very soft, but with adequate backbone.

It was a quick, simple, and pretty good shave.

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

My skin is comfortable and I smell good (to myself). I really like this splash.

Happy shaves,

Jim

• Love
Reactions: Cal

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Switched some more stuff for my shave today...

4-3-20.Omega.Evo.Tanifuji(red).Vitos.640.JPG

I think maybe I got a better shave today with this Tanifuji (red) razor. Don't know why, but it's always been a very nice straight and today seems especially comfortable and smooth on my skin.

Today marks my first shave with the new Omega Evo. I think it compares pretty well to a silvertip badger albeit a somewhat floppy silvertip. The very nice thing about the brush is twofold.
  • The splay is very very good for a synthetic; good, period.
  • The face feel, including scrub, might not be in the Manchurian or two band league, but it's certainly not bad at all.
I like the brush well enough to think I'll use it. It is not a very large brush according to my standards, but it's a large enough medium sized brush (in spite of being 28 mm).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was eye opening, but there might be a caveat.

Fatip.OpenComb.Slant.4-4-20.Kit.Itallian.640.JPG

Two new items.
  • Fatip Open Comb Slant.
  • Zenith Unbleached Boar.
This is a great razor.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpgCaptain of the steep (meme).jpg

Used at the design angle (neutral angle) or steeper I didn't feel the blade at all nor did I feel any roughness from the combs.

The razor was extremely efficient. After one N-S pass I was well shaved, with just a bit more work on my chin and lips. However, I was enjoying the shave so much I also did a S-N lathered pass.

Did I say extremely efficient? I think that might be an understatement.

I'm not sure I've ever gotten a shave this close and smooth with a straight razor. What's the caveat?
  • I may be noticing just the tiniest amount of neck irritation.
  • Not saying this is more than "possibly imaginary" so don't freak out.
  • We'll see how it goes over the rest of the day.
  • Besides, this was a brand new blade and a razor brand new to me.

What about the brush?

Good question.

The brush is my first ever unbleached Zenith boar and it is a keeper. The brush has a much higher loft than I usually like in a boar. At 64 mm it's pretty tall which usually means pretty floppy; not here, not in this brush. It's not floppy at all. Not that it's in the league of a short lofted brush like the Omega Jade from Connaught for rigidity, but floppy? Not by a long shot.

To be fair and transparent I've had the brush for a while, like maybe a couple of weeks or so, which means it's been through several wet to dry cycles and thus probably broken in a bit. That said, this was a terrific outing for a new boar.

Soft, wonderful latherer, great scrub and face feel, plenty of backbone, fun to use, great handle ergonomics, easy to use. What a good brush!

1586027181676.png

Downsides? Well, yes. There is still a fairly significant but not to me too bothersome funky boar scent. I'll soon take care of that I suspect or time will, and it's not a big deal to me. If it is to you I'm sure you know what to do?

That's right, package that sucker up and send it to me. I have a free defunk service. Yes, it takes years; sometimes decades. Guaranteed though, and free.

Zenith.Unbleached.Boar.Silvertip.BothNew.640.3-19-20.JPG

The brush wasn't free though. I paid almost $8 for it (plus expensive shipping made less expensive [kinda] because the shipping didn't increase for the second brush I bought in the same order ^ from the Spanish vendor).

Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not to mention the fact that you havent used a DE in... how long now Jim?

Maybe a week? Could be a bit longer. Hard to remember. Think that's important, do you?

Did your order one of these suckers, Mike? Don't know if Connaught has any more, but if you order one don't forget to order some Vitos Extra Super Coco as an add on.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe a week? Could be a bit longer. Hard to remember. Think that's important, do you?

Did your order one of these suckers, Mike? Don't know if Connaught has any more, but if you order one don't forget to order some Vitos Extra Super Coco as an add on.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A week, hmmm. Maybe...

I have not. They dont have gold ones yet and I'm betting there will be subtle improvements on the second and third iterations.

Fatip, Italian as they are, reminds me of the Porsche 911. Its been around forever and still is. They still look pretty much the same too, but each generation has been slowly refined. Fatip does the same. I bought my Grande a lot later than many and its just... perfection.

The slant will be too, eventually.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A week, hmmm. Maybe...

I have not. They dont have gold ones yet and I'm betting there will be subtle improvements on the second and third iterations.

Fatip, Italian as they are, reminds me of the Porsche 911. Its been around forever and still is. They still look pretty much the same too, but each generation has been slowly refined. Fatip does the same. I bought my Grande a lot later than many and its just... perfection.

The slant will be too, eventually.

My Fatip OC Slant already is perfect.

More perfect in nickel. Or maybe gold (for you).

I was thinking about that exact same thing when I nipped out for a bit of exercise today. It's a fitting analogy. I walked past a Mercedes SLK and started thinking about sports cars. The rear engine, rear wheel drive thing sounds wrong but I've never driven a 911. If I did I think I might enjoy it. My neighbour the other side of the street has an 80's one.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave was very good indeed.

4-8-20.FatipOC.Slant.ABC.Z-silvertip.640JPG.JPG

This is a damn of a kit - fine Fatip Slant, great great soap, wonderful brush - but you already knew that if you know these products.

3-12-20.BayRum & Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Might as well top it off to perfection.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Here's an interesting brush.

2236..Damp.Steve's brush.Vulflix.640.JPG

In the photo the brush is damp because I washed it an hour or so earlier.

Here's what Jarrod at Superior Shave says about the brush...

"This is the brush to pick if you want maximum softness/luxury/flop and are thirsty for a huge handle for your huge hands."

In case you don't know the brush it's the Vulfix 2236 Silvertip Badger. The Vulflix silvertip is, according to Jarrod, "identical to Simpsons’ ‘Super Badger."

I measure the knot at ~29 mm and the loft at ~56 mm.

Jarrod is right about the handle. It is simply huge. The brush is huge.

If anybody other than Jarrod has these in stock I can't find them, but he's got three right now.

What am I doing here?.png

I'm taking this brush out for a test drive. If I like it I'll buy it; if not, I'll return it to the member who sent it to me for a visit and a trial; what a cool deal!

Just messing around with it today, dry and then soaped up with hand soap, I can tell it's a great brush, but I'm not sure it's a great brush for me. It's not dense. My suspicion is I'd like it a lot better were the knot set more deeply. It seems to be perhaps a shedder, too.

As you may or may not know Vulfix owns Simpson.

I'll put it to the soaps and the face lathering test pretty soon. It's pretty cool to be able to try out a brush of this sort. I'm grateful for the opportunity. Not that I need any brushes of course.

Don't tell my wife.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Good Friday shave was good.

4-10-20.Steve'sBrush.Slant.F.OC.1912.640.JPG

This huge brush - the Vulfix 2236 Silvertip Badger - got its first spin around the block today. I'm going to use it with a more recently used and thus familiar soap soon which will give me a better basis of comparison.

I will say I'm surprised that the brush isn't softer. I didn't expect much backbone, but I thought it would be soft like my Zenith silvertip and my MS silvertips and other silvertips I've used. I'm not saying it was even remotely unpleasant in the Soft Department, but it's far less soft than those brushes.

It's a huge knot on my face. I have a number of very large brushes and knots, but this is a whole 'nother league. No, I'm not saying the knot is too large.

The Fatip OC Slant is a great great double edged razor.

I enjoyed my quick and simple shave.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

Even after rinsing well and applying HA I can sniff the nice scent of today's Magnum.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom