What's new

Weekend Duffel/Travel Bag Reco's

Hi Everyone,

First and foremost, I hope everyone is safe!

I am looking for a quality weekend duffel/travel bag, either waxed canvas/leather or an all-leather bag. Preferably made in the USA and under $200 ($250 if all-leather), any recommendations are appreciated. I know there probably are not that many (if at all) all-leather quality bags under $250, but fingers crossed.

Thanks,

D_U-O

Filson is famous for their waxed canvas but I have no idea what they may have regarding duffel bags.
If you are open to other materials you may want to check out the Tom Bihn line of travel bags. Red Oxx makes a nice line duffel and travel bags as well. Nylon bags have a weight advantage over leather or canvas, which is especially important if you ever travel by air.

Link to their big duffel and the more organization friendly Aeronaut:

Filson is famous for their waxed canvas but I have no idea what they may have regarding duffel bags.
If you are open to other materials you may want to check out the Tom Bihn line of travel bags. Red Oxx makes a nice line duffel and travel bags as well. Nylon bags have a weight advantage over leather or canvas, which is especially important if you ever travel by air.

TY!

I second tom bihn
And for another usa made option
Look at bad bags.

Thanks for posting this. I was seriously considering a new travel bag just as the Corona eclipsed the world and shutdown travel. The Bad bag is about half the cost of the other two mentioned with at least 80% of the functionality. But what were they thinking with the branding. I have a hard time rolling into town like ZZ top singing like I'm BAD I'm nationwide. But in fairness I dislike the prominence of the Red Oxx and Tom Bihn logos as well. The BAD logo is especially big and bad, but I still like their bag.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Some of those Tom Bihn duffels look pretty good. Lucky I am not in the market for one.

Been using Red Oxx and Tom Bihn for years. Lifetime warranties, great craftsmanship, solid designs, bulletproof, especially the Red Oxx.

The BAD duffel, particularly the one with the backpack straps IMHO, is a great piece of kit from the looks of it. That label looks to be removable on 10 min or less with a thread puller and/or razor and /or xacto knife

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks for posting this. I was seriously considering a new travel bag just as the Corona eclipsed the world and shutdown travel. The Bad bag is about half the cost of the other two mentioned with at least 80% of the functionality. But what were they thinking with the branding. I have a hard time rolling into town like ZZ top singing like I'm BAD I'm nationwide. But in fairness I dislike the prominence of the Red Oxx and Tom Bihn logos as well. The BAD logo is especially big and bad, but I still like their bag.

Agree. I'd put a piece of velcro over that logo, then stick any cool morale patch on it.

AA

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I felt the same way initially
But the Orange color option is much less bright or bold in person and actually is quite nice. The branding logo is reflective and unique to spot on the baggage carousel
I quickly got over the zz top thing. its much less bold in person and now i find it amusing. My better half needed a duffel for a short trip and i loaned a bad duffle. I thought i was going to hear about the color or logo. Nope huge rave reviews on the bag. I have several sizes. Their roller bag and shave kit. I have many tom bihn and red oxx but bad is now my top ranking.

I felt the same way initially
But the Orange color option is much less bright or bold in person and actually is quite nice. The branding logo is reflective and unique to spot on the baggage carousel
I quickly got over the zz top thing. its much less bold in person and now i find it amusing. My better half needed a duffel for a short trip and i loaned a bad duffle. I thought i was going to hear about the color or logo. Nope huge rave reviews on the bag. I have several sizes. Their roller bag and shave kit. I have many tom bihn and red oxx but bad is now my top ranking.
I was surprised that I liked their dark gray bag with orange accent as well. I think I could get over the BAD logo or take it off if I couldn't. I just believe that when (if) traveling internationally or in a unknown city it is best to attract as little attention as possible.

Has your non-black bag survived the baggage carousel without getting too stained up? I understand why 90% of bags are black when I wait for my roller bag at the carousel.

One reason I like the BAD bag is that has a simple construction that should allow maximum stuff if using as a checked bag (since the bag will weigh less), and should also work well for trips to visit family. But I do like the organization of other bags such as the TB Aeronaut if doing a one-bag type of holiday travel.

another unequivocal recommendation for Red Oxx. I've got their Sky Boss and 7 years later it looks brand new. I can pack a whole lotta clothing and gear into a carry on bag, depending on how I pack it.

they make great gear.

Another vote for Tom Bihn!! I have their Aeronaut, Western Flyer and several briefcases. The bags are tough as nails and very well organized IMO! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Tom Bihn has shifted to making masks for the pandemic any orders on other stuff will be shipped later on. As i need another duffle for camera stuff ill br making a purchase or pre order as they call it. Great comprand kudos to them

Tom Bihn has shifted to making masks for the pandemic any orders on other stuff will be shipped later on. As i need another duffle for camera stuff ill br making a purchase or pre order as they call it. Great comprand kudos to them

+1! Good for them!! Very classy company to deal with IME!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Another vote for Red Oxx and Tom Bihn! :thumbup:

Sky Boss and Synapse 25.

IMG_1253.jpg

Top Bottom