What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Ok fellas, car #30 is out. Things went wrong this past couple of weeks. First, my yearly bonus showed up and then this shelter in place thing, and last my RAD hit. Bought a Timeless Bronze with my bonus, a razor I’ve always wanted.
sorry to let you down

Ok fellas, car #30 is out. Things went wrong this past couple of weeks. First, my yearly bonus showed up and then this shelter in place thing, and last my RAD hit. Bought a Timeless Bronze with my bonus, a razor I’ve always wanted.
sorry to let you down

Which bronze did you get? Knowing the .78 OC very well, I would be willing to fail the sabbatical for that razor. Fortunately, I've had it for about 18 months...

My older son turned 31 today. One of the gifts he asked for was "some more shaving stuff." He, like the rest of us in Seattle, is going stir-crazy and decided he wants to try some new gear. So I put together a bag of razors, aftershaves, blades, and soap to go along with his wrapped gifts. Then my wife and I drove to his apartment, put his goodies on his porch, and called him to come down to pick up his bounty. The two of us were in the car when he appeared on the porch, and we spoke to him through the open window for a few minutes, wishing him a happy birthday.

I hope the new shaving gear provides some happiness for a young fella who lives alone. He and his girlfriend (whose vet tech job puts her close to many people all day) decided weeks ago that the responsible course is to remain apart. He's a social type, working at home, so I know he's struggling with the new world order. Happy shaves, Austin!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Which bronze did you get? Knowing the .78 OC very well, I would be willing to fail the sabbatical for that razor. Fortunately, I've had it for about 18 months...
Always wondered about the timeless bronze. How does it shave?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Always wondered about the timeless bronze. How does it shave?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Timeless .78 bronze open comb is more like a tank than any of my other razors. It's heavy, sure, but more important, it seems to have no blade flex, and just glides. Not to say you can't do damage if you don't keep light pressure, as it's very aggressive without care, though it's hard for my face to feel the blade with this razor. It's definitely in my top five. If I missed yesterday's daily shave, I'll likely use it today.

Oh no, not another retirement. Keep your eyes on the road and the pedal to the metal! Here is the latest position;
SPS2020-27mar.JPG
SPS2020-27mar_b.JPG

Hi,

I shoulda stayed with buying shaving stuff. I just decided to get back into Medium Format photography with a one-generation old Pentax 645D DSLR. I had a Contax 645 with a Kodak digital back last, from 2003-2014. I got it on the cheap with three nice lenses but still dropped $2600.

Shaving stuff is cheaper! :p

So, now I ought to say that my interest in it is a semi-professional one. There is some money to be made with it. If there is enough to call it truly professional remains to be seen.

Still, shaving stuff is cheaper! It don't make any money, but it *is* cheaper! :p :p

Stan - Still In

SOTD (# 59/2020)
27-03-2020

20200327_133205-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Storybook Soapworks ~ Visions and Revision (Sample)
Razor: Parker R87
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Nivea AS balm.

JAHE - #6 still in.

Finished another soap sample today...
Still 16 more samples in the queue.

Medium format photography has always been crazy expensive. I remember running around as a kid and my parents were using a twin lens mamiya. My dad also had a few plate cameras and the steamer trunk full of "stuff" that you had to bring along to take pictures. I spent hours along the California coast near Monterey helping take pictures of waves, rocks, logs, and what not then we would rush back to the darkroom and see what my parents had captured. I couldn't afford that medium format stuff... so my parents gave me an old Argus manual 35mm and taught me how to roll my own tri-x.

Now that I think of it, my dad always had a beard (still does).... maybe he could afford all that photo stuff by not spending any money on shaving? :lol:

Nowadays I just use a olympus micro 4/3. Quality glass is cheaper and uh my skillz are rusty enough that the camera is not what is holding me back.

Ruckin (still in - say cheese!)

Hi,

I shoulda stayed with buying shaving stuff. I just decided to get back into Medium Format photography with a one-generation old Pentax 645D DSLR. I had a Contax 645 with a Kodak digital back last, from 2003-2014. I got it on the cheap with three nice lenses but still dropped $2600.

Shaving stuff is cheaper! [emoji14]

So, now I ought to say that my interest in it is a semi-professional one. There is some money to be made with it. If there is enough to call it truly professional remains to be seen.

Still, shaving stuff is cheaper! It don't make any money, but it *is* cheaper! [emoji14] [emoji14]

Stan - Still In
I'd like to recommend pinhole photography to you as a fascinating niche of medium format photography. Google "Ondu Pinhole" to see some lovely hand-made too quality cameras made in Slovenia. It's been a very rewarding hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The OneBlade Core that put me out just arrived today. It was late because, well, everything that goes through the Atlanta Distribution Center is always late. I don't know why--it doesn't matter what time of year it is, they just can't seem to deliver packages on time.

Anyway, the packaging of the razor is amazing--it's kind of like opening up an iPhone. My first impression is that it's an amazingly precise piece of gear. The plastic handle is smooth, so I'm curious how it will be with wet fingers, but with a stainless steel core, the razor has nice weight. The PPS head is fine--it won't win any beauty contests. The blade slid in nice and easy, though. Overall, my initial impression is the razor, packaging, and 10 make it worth more than the $20 I paid. Whether it's worth the full $50 asking price can't be answered until after I have a few shaves on it. I had a perfectly smooth BBS shave this morning with my Mamba .70 and a Persona lab blue (that's probably on shave 7), so the OneBlade has a high bar ahead of it.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My Timeless .78 bronze open comb is more like a tank than any of my other razors. It's heavy, sure, but more important, it seems to have no blade flex, and just glides. Not to say you can't do damage if you don't keep light pressure, as it's very aggressive without care, though it's hard for my face to feel the blade with this razor. It's definitely in my top five. If I missed yesterday's daily shave, I'll likely use it today.
Thanks much. How would you say it compares in efficiency to the Timeless stainless scalloped 0.95? Reason I ask is that that one is great but it doesn't shave me close enough.

I am opening a huge rabbit hole here but I dare to ask:

What are your top 5 razors?

Number 1 is Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb in brass, first generation. The other four depend on the day, and might include four of the following:

Blackbird
Dart
Wolfman WR1 .74 open comb
Wolfman WR2 1.35 open comb
PAA DOC Evolution in stainless
R41 2011
Paradigm 17-4
Rocnel Elite 2019 Aggressive
Timeless .78 bronze open comb

There might be another razor or two that belongs on my list, but as I can't remember them, they can't make the list, right?

#4 here and still in! The only temptation has been soap, but I still have too many in my den.

I just started using a tub of TOBS sandalwood cream this week. I’ve used TOBS a couple of times before and really like it. One thing I realize now that I’ve just knocked off a tub of Stirling is that TOBS is nowhere near as slick as Stirling.

I'd like to recommend pinhole photography to you as a fascinating niche of medium format photography. Google "Ondu Pinhole" to see some lovely hand-made too quality cameras made in Slovenia. It's been a very rewarding hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi,

I made up several Nikon body caps decades ago, all drilled with different size number drills. It is a fun alternative. So, thanks for reminding me to buy a bag full of Pentax 645 body caps and head to me machine shop for a little pinhole work. :)

Stan

Top Bottom