What's new

Riding the cap VS riding the guard/comb

Most razors I use prefer the neutral angle. The exception is the R41 which I use very steep. But there are guys who use it shallow. It’s all very much personal preference. Best to find what works best for you through experimenting!

Same here.
A strict steep angle combined with a light touch literally tames the R41-beast.

Depends on the razor, and the person.

Many razors are designed for an angle in between those extremes, around 30 degrees. The neutral angle generally gives the most blade exposure. Moving away from the neutral angle can help reduce blade exposure and tame the razor down a bit. Riding the cap gives a shallower angle of blade to skin, for many people this feels smoother, taken to extremes the razor does not remove enough hair. Riding the bar works well for some people, others get the feeling with a steeper angle they are scraping the skin, leading to more irritation.

YMMV is a B*tch, isn't it? :D
Exactly. For me, Blackbird OC with just about any blade, ride the comb. Who knew. Karve OC D plate, ride the cap

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
So what's the purpose of all that lovely thick lather then if ya just scrape it all of with the safety bar?

That‘s why there are open combed safety razors and why "residual slickness" and "vengeful poltergeist" are such sales points in shaving creams and soaps.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My Yaqi Double Open Comb and Maggards V3A only let me use the cap. My RazoRock BlackHawk V2, FaTip Grande, and Mühle R41 let me make any mistake I want. The mistake I usually want to make most is booping the comb.

What's the purpose of a safety bar if you're not going to use it? Buy a cheap $5 razor from eBay, whack off the safety bars and make it into a DEvette. Then you'll see that you're riding the safety bar a heck of a lot more than you think.

I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to use a DEvette!

I believe the answer to this is probably YMMV. Depends on users individual razor/skin type. For me personally, I like to ride the comb/guard instead of cap. This guides the hair follicles/stretches skin. But that’s just this farm boys logic

I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to use a DEvette!
My dad shaved with a Tech DEvette his entire life and it always terrified me. He's been gone for 26 years now, and I'd use it twice a year, the day he was born and the day he passed away (and sometimes Father's Day). Nothing but miserable shaves every time - never any blood, but lots of irritation.

It's only when I took up straight and shavette shaving did I unlock the key to using the DEvette. Cap flat on cheek and LOTS of pressure to stretch the skin and let the blade harmlessly skim the tight flat skin.

My dad used to shave steep, handle about 5 o'clock when shaving cheeks WTG. I still can't come close to pulling that off.

My dad shaved with a Tech DEvette his entire life and it always terrified me. He's been gone for 26 years now, and I'd use it twice a year, the day he was born and the day he passed away (and sometimes Father's Day). Nothing but miserable shaves every time - never any blood, but lots of irritation.

It's only when I took up straight and shavette shaving did I unlock the key to using the DEvette. Cap flat on cheek and LOTS of pressure to stretch the skin and let the blade harmlessly skim the tight flat skin.

My dad used to shave steep, handle about 5 o'clock when shaving cheeks WTG. I still can't come close to pulling that off.

I'm glad you mastered it but I'll stick to the milder razors. :) I wonder if your father started with straights because he really must have understood angles.

What's the purpose of a safety bar if you're not going to use it? Buy a cheap $5 razor from eBay, whack off the safety bars and make it into a DEvette. Then you'll see that you're riding the safety bar a heck of a lot more than you think.

Well I cut the bars off a Tech. Does that count?

Top Bottom