What's new

Anyone actually saving money?

My son bought me a semi slant for midwinter and I used it twice. I have about 200 blades which I split for my Leaf Razor. Six boar brushes which I use in rotation and six tubs of home-made shaving soap. Won't be buying any supplies this year, might have to buy or make some soap next year.... More money to spend on essentials like my motorbike.

For myself, I ask the question, "Is the money well spent?" not "Am I saving money?" I am on most matters frugal and spending is based on bang for the buck.

In the case of soaps vs foam, have a strong preference for soap and brush over foam. It is a matter of enjoyment, choice and performance with a substanual advantage ofr shaving soap over foam. So for me it's not an equivalent choice. Higher cost but many rewarding experiences by using shaving soap. I have settled on Murphy & Macneil and Stirling as my favored soap makers and have used restraint by keeping a jar limitation of four jars.

In the case of razors, I now have three razors, that are my favorites, that each require different blade types. So I get high quality shaves from each format, always. So shaving is a settled matter. My sweet spot razors are low cost vintage (Schick E series and Gem Micromatics) and one low cost modern (modified ECO).

At this point, the hardware question is settled and I am not likely to make many additional purchases. So in the long run, I might have spent four hundred dollars on razors that will not ever benefit me but I now have my sweet spot established. At this point, 50% of the excess has been gifted to the right people. So will I save money? No but I enjoy shaving now and have no reservations.

Yes and no. The money I save from not buying Mach3 cartridges is spent on razors, aftershaves, soaps, brushes and blades.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
...how many of you are actually saving money wet shaving vs using carts and can shaving cream?

I shaved electric from 14 to 55, so in context I guess I'm spending WAY more than I ever (didn't) spend on canned goo and carts.

On the other hand, I used to collect motorcycles. I can buy a lot of razors and store them in a little cabinet for the price of just one running bike. This is a cheap hobby.

O.H.

I've been using a DE for the last 2 years. My gear is on the budget side (razors+blades). On a quick look, my gear value (no brush and shaving cream/soap or aftershave included here) is around 150$.
If I were to use a cartrige razor (e.g. Mach3) it will be around 120$/year (suposelly I buy them on sales).
So... I can say I saved money.

I was actually saving money DE shaving for 5 or 6 years. Then I found B&B...thanks. I don’t think in all my life I ever had a hobby. My wife even said at times, why don’t you get a hobby. I guess was just boring person.
Now though, can’t say how much I’ve spent. Bought razors, soap, aftershave, and even went so far as buying vintage aftershaves. Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but having fun. I am now on the 2020 sabbatical, thinking it will slow me down. Will probably be the first one out, HA.
And...thanks to B&B, I ran across a forum on here about the art of making and drinking coffee. A new hobby. I was using a Kureig one cup maker and that was thrown away about a month ago. Bought a new drip and grinder, and now obsessed.
Now on the weekends it is trips to antique stores and to find coffee roasters I my area. I am almost afraid to venture around much on this site anymore. Afraid might find another hobby.

Gee, Johnnie, you're missing out on fountain pens, audiophile equipment, and camera gear...!

Per shave I'm definitely saving money, but overall I'm a typical B&B'er -- way too many razors, way too much soap (mostly home made) and way too many blades. Daily cost is trivial -- if I were to stick with one adjustable (probably one of my $25 Fatboys) and home made soap, my cost amortized over my expected lifetime (30 more years) is a couple pennies a day. So-so super stainless blades give me around 60 shaves, platinums and high grade blades last me around 100. Average is 61 shaves per blade at the moment, including a couple I only used six or so times.

Of course I spent a lot of money to get here.

I'm trying to resist spending money on audio equipment at the moment -- got a pair of Pioneer HPM 900 speakers calling my name.....

For a little less than a decade, I’ve used one razor, a mekur futur. I’ve used two brushes - an EJ boar cheap brush, and I upgraded to a Simpson after a few years. I bought a sample pack of razors, and then 50 packs of astras, followed by a 50 pack of Gillette blues. I’ve bought probably 15 bottles of aftershave, and probably the same amount of soap (various pucks, creams, and sticks). I’ve got a cheap $10 stand, and a cheap $15 ceramic bowl for lather.

My wife buys Venus razor blades for her legs at like $10 per blade. She goes through them like a heroin addict goes through purses.

I figure with almost a decade of shaving - I’ve spent next to nothing.

For a little less than a decade, I’ve used one razor, a mekur futur. I’ve used two brushes - an EJ boar cheap brush, and I upgraded to a Simpson after a few years. I bought a sample pack of razors, and then 50 packs of astras, followed by a 50 pack of Gillette blues. I’ve bought probably 15 bottles of aftershave, and probably the same amount of soap (various pucks, creams, and sticks). I’ve got a cheap $10 stand, and a cheap $15 ceramic bowl for lather.

My wife buys Venus razor blades for her legs at like $10 per blade. She goes through them like a heroin addict goes through purses.

I figure with almost a decade of shaving - I’ve spent next to nothing.
Maybe your wife needs to try the Leaf, and the whole fam will be saving even more $$$

I've got somewhere between 40-50 razors, mostly vintage, and under a dozen straights. Grandpa taught me how to hone a straight razor when I was 14, & I've got his stones, so I don't have to send mine out or pay someone to do it.
This year I've bought a few soap samples, and sent in 2 razors to gold plate, but I haven't bought any razors yet this year.
For the razors, I don't see them as an actual expenditure, since I can always sell them for at least dollars I've got in them.
I use Cremogena most often, and for the Cremo & Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin, my blend makes over 10 ounces that costs under $10, and gives me irritation free BBS shaves with most of my razor & blade combinations.

No way am I saving money on my shaves!

Serves me right though. They say those who get into reloading do it to save money, but end up shooting 2-3x times more and don’t save a thing. I was exception to that rule. So it only makes sense DE shaving would be the interest that got even with me.

It’s worth it to me though. I used to hit the range once or twice a week for relaxation, it brought me joy and peace. With a busy career and home life I’m lucky to make it out 2 or 3 times a year, so I was missing something in my routine that allowed me even 20 minutes of escape that I could enjoy for myself. I found taking the 10 to 20 minutes every other day for a nice shave has helped with that. It’s cheaper than my gun hobby. And it provides a much needed time for silence, no interruptions and clearing my head.

I didn’t start on straights to save money.
If I had to count, I’m sure I’ve overspent but what I have in return from the last 9 years has way more value to me.
Also I don’t throw my straights away after a few uses.

You know I could have stopped at the very first $12 shavette & $2.50 pack of safety razor blades and had the best shaves on planet earth. Not sure what went wrong...😉

I have never used carts in my life (I only started using disposables when the flying restrictions started ) so I can't compare.

I started shaving in 1980 with a hand me down Gillette Fatboy from the 60s my dad gave me.
It was all I used till 2000 when I bought a Merkur 34c for 30 USD when moving to Berlin in Germany (I forgot my FB back home).
I used it exclusively daily since 2018 when my wife bought me a Fatip Picollo while we were in Naples (it cost 15 USD).I really like it so I now alternate between the FT and the 34c. The pack of 1000 Shark SS blades I bought back in 2010 for 30 USD never seems to empty (I shave daily and change my blade every Saturday like clockwork)....and as far as lubrication goes all I ever used and continue to use is cheap Proraso shaving foam (it costs 3 USD in the EU) about 1,5 can/year (I shave daily).

Shaving really does NOT burn a hole in my wallet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom