What's new

Another razor handle for a friend

Thank you. This one was a softer blank than some I've turned. It was difficult to drill the hole so deep because even being careful the material started to melt a little bit. Luckily just the very end of the blank was damaged and that part was removed when I trued up the ends.

Thank you. This one was a softer blank than some I've turned. It was difficult to drill the hole so deep because even being careful the material started to melt a little bit. Luckily just the very end of the blank was damaged and that part was removed when I trued up the ends.

Nice looking handle!

What speed were you drilling at? I’ve used that style of blank without any problems drilling around 450rpm and backing out every 1/4 - 1/2 inch and letting the blank cool if the bit is warm to the touch. I know a few guys that have actually melted a bit inside the blank rendering both useless!

Nice looking handle!

What speed were you drilling at? I’ve used that style of blank without any problems drilling around 450rpm and backing out every 1/4 - 1/2 inch and letting the blank cool if the bit is warm to the touch. I know a few guys that have actually melted a bit inside the blank rendering both useless!

Thanks for the tip.
I think I was at 800. But I think there is one pulley lower. I don't remember off hand. One of the most amazing looking pens I made wanted to melt similar to this stuff. I ended up using a nozzle on an air hose to blow cool air on the bit while I drilled.

The picture really doesn't do the pen justice.
If I ever see these blanks for sale again I will have to pick up a few. I don't remember what they were called.

67043_2853020460356_85394989_n.jpeg

The pen looks great! The arc of the bevel is perfect for the hardware, it has a great shine, and the fit is spot on. Really an excellent job. If you turn many pens I invite you to join IAP. The wealth of knowledge there is unsurpassed, and like here they’re a great bunch of guys always willing to encourage and help. And it’s free! I bet somebody could tell you where to get more blanks if they’re still made too.

And yes, 800 is too fast acrylic. The problem with my small HF is the minimum speed is 750. You can do it but you can also run into problems. Slow is good. Some of the guys even keep the bit & blank cool with water but that’s messy and overkill imo.

The pen looks great! The arc of the bevel is perfect for the hardware, it has a great shine, and the fit is spot on. Really an excellent job. If you turn many pens I invite you to join IAP. The wealth of knowledge there is unsurpassed, and like here they’re a great bunch of guys always willing to encourage and help. And it’s free! I bet somebody could tell you where to get more blanks if they’re still made too.

And yes, 800 is too fast acrylic. The problem with my small HF is the minimum speed is 750. You can do it but you can also run into problems. Slow is good. Some of the guys even keep the bit & blank cool with water but that’s messy and overkill imo.

I will look into IAP. Is your user name the same there?
And thank you very much for the kind words on the pen. I had a hard time giving that one up.
Something I've wanted to try for quite some time is a kitless pen.

Top Bottom