What's new

Stockouts, panic buying, and how you cook...

Our local market has been picked clean. No chicken or eggs. They had a lot of pork ribs for $12 a rack. So I got two. I’ve got meat in the freezer that will hold us over. Our chickens are just starting to lay but can’t keep up with out demand. So I ventured to Costco today. Got two flats of eggs, a bag each of onions, sweet potatoes and red potatoes. Some cookies for the kids and two jugs of Dewars for me. I’ve got 12 bottles of single malt and 4 gallon jugs of blended scotch. I’m set for a good long while.

In the winter just build an igloo. Build a small fire inside, run down to the nearest frozen lake, drill a hole, run fishing line down through the hole, catch big fish, clean big fish, return to the igloo which now has nice hot coals, place big fish on grate of nice hot coals, eat big fish. What's so hard about that?

I have done this. Except for the igloo part. I find a warm ice fishing hut and vast quantities of beer a preferrable substitute.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have done this. Except for the igloo part. I find a warm ice fishing hut and vast quantities of beer a preferrable substitute.
You Canadiains are a lot tougher then most when it comes to lots of snow and ice (driving on ice too). Buuuutttt....come on down south to Texas and dig a post hole in 102 degree heat. For the record we don't dig post holes in Texas at 102 heat...we drink beer in the Air Conditioner.

I haven’t been out in a week. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. I just came across the first sign of freezer burn on some burgers. That was sure exciting.

You Canadiains are a lot tougher then most when it comes to lots of snow and ice (driving on ice too). Buuuutttt....come on down south to Texas and dig a post hole in 102 degree heat. For the record we don't dig post holes in Texas at 102 heat...we drink beer in the Air Conditioner.
Not tougher -just acclimatized. 102F heat would kill me. Probably quite literally!

As for driving... If you ever get a chance to try ice racing (like dirt track, but on solid ice) go for it. You think those tuner guys know how to drift? Watch an ice racer.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not tougher -just acclimatized. 102F heat would kill me. Probably quite literally!

I worked security at a plant several years ago and there were people from Michigan and places up north down here for contract work for a couple of years until the job was finished.

They started during the winter when it was about 20 degrees or so and wore short sleeve shirts, then laughed because we were wearing coats.

When it turned summer, and the temps. got to 105-110, they melted. The couldn't take it. It was our turn to laugh.

No change for me. I honestly find the hoarding and stocking up to be kind of silly, especially when it comes to toilet paper. Society is not collapsing, folks.

I worked security at a plant several years ago and there were people from Michigan and places up north down here for contract work for a couple of years until the job was finished.

They started during the winter when it was about 20 degrees or so and wore short sleeve shirts, then laughed because we were wearing coats.

When it turned summer, and the temps. got to 105-110, they melted. The couldn't take it. It was our turn to laugh.

Years back I was in Vegas for SEMA. Myself & boss went to a party held at a gokart track in the evening. Weather in the mid to upper 40's, pleasant. That's near spring weather in New England. The group we were with were from Socal and they were all shivering while we were in polos. Girls with the group were glommed onto boyfriends, everyone with hands in pockets, etc. We started joking about it but I never gave local acclimatization that much thought prior to that.

You Canadians are a lot tougher then most when it comes to lots of snow and ice (driving on ice too).

Not as far as how they clear the roads at least. In Montreal last year with snow coming in and got a late start out. There were no snow plows, salting, or sanding. We'd been told this prior to going up but I found it hard to believe. It could be that they were just out of budget as it was right around March. We've also been told it's because we were in Quebec...

My daughter and I attended Front Sight Firearms training center in Pahrump Nevada a few years ago. We went in March, so the mornings were cool, about 60F. Everyone was dressed in jackets and parkas, except us Canadians and a couple from Alaska, who were wearing shorts and T-shirts. By 2:00 pm, unless we were shooting, we were hiding in the shade and guzzling water.

I carefully consider what I order in the summer because if a soap sits in my mailbox for longer than a few minutes it melts. Houston TX woes of the DE shaver.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I carefully consider what I order in the summer because if a soap sits in my mailbox for longer than a few minutes it melts. Houston TX woes of the DE shaver.

I carefully consider what I order in the winter, because it might get left outside too long and freeze.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Went to 3 different stores a couple of days ago because we have been out of town for over a week and are starting back to work today with 16 hour shifts today and tomorrow and my wife just got another on Monday too.
This is from one store but basically tells the whole story. We got enough for now. I told my wife I’ll go to the ranch and shoot a deer and a hog before I go back to the store.
7CA59A23-5E15-484F-8A1B-726F7ED6DFF8.jpeg

Top Bottom