What's new

Vintage Avon find

I think there are two main reasons for alot of Avon still in the wild: the younger generation doesn't recognize the bottles, and most of those that I've talked to prefer the more modern scents like "Axe".

I think there are two main reasons for alot of Avon still in the wild:
But the real reason there's so much out there, is because they made so much of it to begin with. Creating the special shaped bottles was a genius marketing strategy. They created something that men would receive as gifts, and would receive more than they could use. Often, the bottles would get displayed on a shelf in their den (not shave den) or living room, and would never even see the bathroom.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My preference is for the standard rectangular type Avon bottles as I do not like the novelty ones. I use the scents from the standard bottles, which seem to be harder to find, then I refill them from the novelty bottles which then go back to the thrift store. I try to limit myself to cologne only so as to not end up with too much inventory. I like Spicy, Windjammer, Wild Country, and Oland all of which I have in cologne format. Very under rated scents with great performance and value. 👍

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Howdy all, just saw this thread and had a query, my apologies if this has already been discussed earlier in this long thread BUT....is there a modern day drug store aftershave that has any resemblance to Avon's "Windjammer?" I saw somewhere else where it was compared to Brut, what do you all think of that comparison?

that's a great question, @JWCowboy however I never thought Windjammer smelled like Brut. I know of no modern AS that has the Avon smell, someone here has compared it to cigarette ash (lovingly).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
that's a great question, @JWCowboy however I never thought Windjammer smelled like Brut. I know of no modern AS that has the Avon smell, someone here has compared it to cigarette ash (lovingly).

I think the "Avon ash" note - which I really like - is pure oakmoss! The kind made illegal today by the E.U.

Avon amazes me, and that's about 50 years later in some cases!

Have to fish out a Windjammer ... or a Clint ... did use Tribute AS this week. And Spicy last week. And Leather ... and Wild Country ...

AA

EclipseRedRing

Howdy all, just saw this thread and had a query, my apologies if this has already been discussed earlier in this long thread BUT....is there a modern day drug store aftershave that has any resemblance to Avon's "Windjammer?" I saw somewhere else where it was compared to Brut, what do you all think of that comparison?
I own several bottles of vintage Windjammer, aftershave and cologne, and it is the only 'aquatic' fragrance that I like. I also own several bottles of vintage Faberge Brut, some is Brut 33 but my most treasured examples are pre Brut 33 which dates them to before 1968. These are hard to obtain, the prices are high, and I love them very much indeed. In my mind there is no similarity between Windjammer and Brut whatsoever. Windjammer is a woody aquatic with notes of black pepper, oakmoss and tonka bean. While the latter two are present in Brut they are base notes, the top notes being mainly anise and lavender. Brut is an aromatic spice scent. The modern Brut range includes Brut Oceans which may be similar. So - this may be OK
bo.jpg
as a substitute for Windjammer but any like these will not:
20200312_173003.jpg

Last edited:
I think the "Avon ash" note - which I really like - is pure oakmoss! The kind made illegal today by the E.U.

Avon amazes me, and that's about 50 years later in some cases!

Have to fish out a Windjammer ... or a Clint ... did use Tribute AS this week. And Spicy last week. And Leather ... and Wild Country ...

AA
I second your remarks about Avon. I have several in my collection, mainly Wild Country, Island Lime, Tribute, Deep Woods, Spicy, Brisk Spicy, Tai Winds and Everest. I need to get some Windjammer, Leather, Trazarra and Clint to name a few. Great to have eBay, Etsy, flea markets and thrift stores around. Speaking of oakmoss, I dug out a vial of vintage Caesars Man and Giorgio the other night and put a tiny bit of each on my hands. The drydown on those two are oakmoss heavy, like nuclear bomb heavy. Pure delight. The scents of a few decades ago are real treasures today.

I own several bottles of vintage Windjammer, aftershave and cologne, and it is the only 'aquatic' fragrance that I like. I also own several bottles of vintage Faberge Brut, some is Brut 33 but my most treasured examples are pre Brut 33 which dates them to before 1968. These are hard to obtain, the prices are high, and I love them very much indeed. In my mind there is no similarity between Windjammer and Brut whatsoever. Windjammer is a woody aquatic with notes of black pepper, oakmoss and tonka bean. While the latter two are present in Brut they are base notes, the top notes being mainly anise and lavender. Brut is an aromatic spice scent. The modern Brut range includes Brut Oceans which may be similar. So - this may be OK View attachment 1073510as a substitute for Windjammer but any like these will not:View attachment 1073511
I take it you like Brut. Nice group. I personally miss Brut 33.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Soooo....would you say more like Aqua Velva Ice Sport?

I find that stuff to be an aquatic that gives me a headache ... Windjammer is like a pre-aquatic.

"Another place" describes it thus: citrus, floral, pine, pepper, tonka, oakmoss, vetiver.

AA

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Reason I'm asking is that I recently acquired some vintage Windjammer, in the "classics" book bottle, which looks great. Thing is, I can hardly smell the stuff as the fragrance just seems to have really dissipated over time, and I'm wandering what would be good to mix in with it......

1584037220857.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Reason I'm asking is that I recently acquired some vintage Windjammer, in the "classics" book bottle, which looks great. Thing is, I can hardly smell the stuff as the fragrance just seems to have really dissipated over time, and I'm wandering what would be good to mix in with it......

View attachment 1073542

The bottles are hard to find!

I get you. I had an empty Avon Bay Rum book-bottle, so I refilled it with the forum blend: Bootlegger's Bay Rum.

An improvement; Avon BR's a bit single-note.

Why not refill it with some more Windjammer? Can be found on the bay, if not locally.

AA

EclipseRedRing

View attachment 1073542
That is a very nice bottle and I would certainly reuse it. The Windjammer I have appears darker in colour even allowing for the colour of the glass. I would acquire some from the bay, the cologne is better in my opinion, and then decant it into that bottle.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looked for Windjammer in the big box of Avon.

Passed over Clint, rare and good.

Found an unopened train engine of Everest!

Close enough.

AA

EclipseRedRing

A new one for me - Oland. A 175ml full boxed bottle of the eau de cologne! Not keen on the bottle shape but the scent is great. I have heard that the Avon EDC format scents can lose their scent over the years but not in my experience. Now Clint and Hud to find.... 👍
20200316_162813.jpg

A new one for me - Oland. A 175ml full boxed bottle of the eau de cologne! Not keen on the bottle shape but the scent is great. I have heard that the Avon EDC format scents can lose their scent over the years but not in my experience. Now Clint and Hud to find.... 👍View attachment 1074994

I have that one (it wasn't full, sadly, about 1/4th.. ) but I poured what I did have into an empty Oland bottle.. much easier to use that way, and I display the empty car with some others that I've decanted into other bottles

oland2.JPG

Top Bottom