What's new

Favourite grocery store coffee brands?

I'll second the Aldi coffees, especially considering the price.

Usually I get New England, either one, when it's BOGO at the local market.

Dunkin Donuts decaf is pretty good for an after dinner cup.

Bought a bag of Caribou's decaffinated coffee, on sale, and it was so delicious I went back and bought the regular Caribou Blend. My goodness, this is a tasty brew. A little pricey, but on sale it is a great buy.

If you like a flavored coffee that tastes fantastic and turns heads, try Seattle’s best hazelnut. Most folks can’t believe it’s not loaded with a creamer based on the smell alone. I only drink it black. It’s the only hazelnut coffee that tastes great and has a good aroma. I originally only bought hazelnut because I enjoyed the smell but couldn’t really pick up a strong or good taste... until Seattle’s best.

May God have mercy on my soul, I've been drinking a lot of Folgers the past few months. It has that old-timey coffee taste and you can drink it all day, morning, noon, and evening, with another couple of cups at bedtime to calm your nerves. In the drip coffeemaker it comes out smooth -- maybe too smooth. I prefer it from a percolator, which gives it that mean acid bite, like a tablespoon of H2SO4 got accidently mixed in. I'll go back to the grinder and the bespoke beans soon enough, but there's something to be said for that muck my parents and grandparents drank by the gallon.

Medaglia d'oro made in my trusty 3 cup Bialetti moka pot. I make a tall Americano with milk that gets me started when I first get up and then carries me through breakfast if I make it.

Can't be beat!

If I have a diner party, I serve Peete's decaffeinated from a French press. Not bad at all for decaf but nothing beats the moka pot.

Aldi coffee is pretty good (just not the huge Beaumont classic roast tin, tastes like battery acid) but in my area that average around $4 a package when I can get Folgers, Maxwell house, great value, etc at Walmart for $2-$3 a package. I generally find myself enjoying the store brands 'columbian' variety, I like good coffee but drink far too much to spend the money and these are serviceable for daily drinking. Lately my cheap but strong mix has been 2 packages of Maxwell house Columbian ($2 each) and 1 package of cafe bustelo espresso ($2) mixed, I use this for cold brew and for pour over (I ditched the drip and kuerig a while ago).

Wawa has some fantastic coffee as well.

My local Wally World has a 2 pound bag of whole bean Eight O'Clock coffee for under $15. The coffee is good, not great, but the price is hard to beat. Last week I picked up Trader Joe's Wake Up Blend, and that is definitely better than the Eight O'Clock.

Aldi coffee is pretty good (just not the huge Beaumont classic roast tin, tastes like battery acid) but in my area that average around $4 a package when I can get Folgers, Maxwell house, great value, etc at Walmart for $2-$3 a package. I generally find myself enjoying the store brands 'columbian' variety, I like good coffee but drink far too much to spend the money and these are serviceable for daily drinking. Lately my cheap but strong mix has been 2 packages of Maxwell house Columbian ($2 each) and 1 package of cafe bustelo espresso ($2) mixed, I use this for cold brew and for pour over (I ditched the drip and kuerig a while ago).

Wawa has some fantastic coffee as well.
Congratulations on getting rid of the Kuerig. I had a cup of that yesterday an man did it taste like bitter dishwater. How is it possible that anybody buys these things?

Congratulations on getting rid of the Kuerig. I had a cup of that yesterday an man did it taste like bitter dishwater. How is it possible that anybody buys these things?

The kuerig was a gift so we used it simply because we had it. My wife doesn't drink coffee but does drink tea so she just used it for single servings of hot water. I hated the cost and waste associated with kcups so I bought a refillable cup and used regular grounds anyway. Darn thing was just so bulky and ugly, the reservoir was always gross due to my humid climate, and the filters for it got expensive. So happy we got rid of it!

Every morning either she has a cup of iced tea and I have a cup of cold brew coffee or I heat up enough water in my tea kettle to make myself a hot cup of pour over and her a hot cup of tea.

Where my kuerig used to live now lives an air fryer... Equally as ugly and cumbersome (and a gift) but that gets used a bit more haha.

The kuerig was a gift so we used it simply because we had it. My wife doesn't drink coffee but does drink tea so she just used it for single servings of hot water. I hated the cost and waste associated with kcups so I bought a refillable cup and used regular grounds anyway. Darn thing was just so bulky and ugly, the reservoir was always gross due to my humid climate, and the filters for it got expensive. So happy we got rid of it!

Every morning either she has a cup of iced tea and I have a cup of cold brew coffee or I heat up enough water in my tea kettle to make myself a hot cup of pour over and her a hot cup of tea.

Where my kuerig used to live now lives an air fryer... Equally as ugly and cumbersome (and a gift) but that gets used a bit more haha.
Give a moka pot a try. Has a flavor between pour over and espresso. Very cheap-$20.00 for the pot and no waste. Will last longer than you will if you don't abuse it.

Give a moka pot a try. Has a flavor between pour over and espresso. Very cheap-$20.00 for the pot and no waste. Will last longer than you will if you don't abuse it.

Awesome, I will! Thanks! I'm a professional brewer but I don't drink that much alcohol nor do I really Homebrew any more but I'm obsessed with coffee and love tinkering with different methods.

Top Bottom