What's new

The WORST Cologne You've Owned / Smelled?

What ? Yatagan was DIS-CONTINUED ? Are you sure Rob ? Ooh God, I sure hope that's not the case.

SixCats!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I only know about anything what I read from random sites online. I do not think I have tried to Google it or anything. What I read though was in the context of bottles of Yatagan shooting way up in price on eBay. I have not really tried to check that either. I am amazed that Caron would discontinue this scent! Let's hope I misheard!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I only know about anything what I read from random sites online. I do not think I have tried to Google it or anything. What I read though was in the context of bottles of Yatagan shooting way up in price on eBay. I have not really tried to check that either. I am amazed that Caron would discontinue this scent! Let's hope I misheard!
Yagtagan is still listed on and available from the Caron website. There is a lot of discussion on basenotes about rumors of it being discontinued and references to its price going up quite a bit and stock from various sources drying up completely. So I have no idea what is really going on. Sorry to pass on rumors that may or may not be useful.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yagtagan is still listed on and available from the Caron website. There is a lot of discussion on basenotes about rumors of it being discontinued and references to its price going up quite a bit and stock from various sources drying up completely. So I have no idea what is really going on. Sorry to pass on rumors that may or may not be useful.
Maybe the price for it's ingredients have gone up?

Well, this might bring the hate, but (shrugs and dons asbestos underwear)

For you frag-heads: A question. Why is it that some widely loved scents / fragrances smell abrasive and overpowering and if I'm around them for more than a few minutes my nose closes and if I don't get away from them, they give me a pounding headache. The scent is what I would describe as "rotting flower" because there are certain types of flowers, particularly those ubiquitous daisy-like flowers commonly sold at grocery stores & farmer's markets; when they're in a vase for too long and they are about to start wilting, I can smell it from the next room before anyone else in the family can even smell it up close.

The colognes that most exhibit this characteristic are Creed Green Irish Tweed, Pinaud Classic Vanilla, Pinaud Special reserve, and Pinaud Citrus Musk. (oddly, I love the original Pinaud Clubman) Oh, and Gray Flannel has a bit of it - but seems to be a small enough part of the scent that it simply smells bad to me and doesn't make me stuffy, etc... But it is unmistakably that same "rotting flower" thing.

Maybe the price for it's ingredients have gone up?
I do not think ingredients costs are much for scents these days. If the cost of some natural ingredient went up, they would just switch to some synthetic. I have no idea whether the formula for Yatagan has changed over the years, but I would bet that the vintage is better and stronger! :)

Well, this might bring the hate, but (shrugs and dons asbestos underwear)

For you frag-heads: A question. Why is it that some widely loved scents / fragrances smell abrasive and overpowering and if I'm around them for more than a few minutes my nose closes and if I don't get away from them, they give me a pounding headache. The scent is what I would describe as "rotting flower" because there are certain types of flowers, particularly those ubiquitous daisy-like flowers commonly sold at grocery stores & farmer's markets; when they're in a vase for too long and they are about to start wilting, I can smell it from the next room before anyone else in the family can even smell it up close.

The colognes that most exhibit this characteristic are Creed Green Irish Tweed, Pinaud Classic Vanilla, Pinaud Special reserve, and Pinaud Citrus Musk. (oddly, I love the original Pinaud Clubman) Oh, and Gray Flannel has a bit of it - but seems to be a small enough part of the scent that it simply smells bad to me and doesn't make me stuffy, etc... But it is unmistakably that same "rotting flower" thing.

I would have guessed perhaps violet, or, more accurately, violet leaf, which is the dominant note in Grey Flannel, but you indicate GF does not bother you so much. Violet leaf is a middle note in Green Irish Tweed. To me Ylang Ylang is a classic rotting flower note, but I do not think of it as prominent in any of the scents you name. It is distinct and powerful, and usually buried in a mix of other notes.

I would have guessed perhaps violet, or, more accurately, violet leaf, which is the dominant note in Grey Flannel, but you indicate GF does not bother you so much. Violet leaf is a middle note in Green Irish Tweed. To me Ylang Ylang is a classic rotting flower note, but I do not think of it as prominent in any of the scents you name. It is distinct and powerful, and usually buried in a mix of other notes.

Thank you - Well that's interesting... You may have provided the clue to cracking the case?!?! I looked around for information on the violet and came across an article featuring a grouping of several "commonly allergenic" flowers that we can no longer have in or around the house. (Chamomile, Chrysanthemum, Violet, Hyancinth, Gerbera Daisy) So it might be a pollen allergy? If so, then either something from that pollen remains in the natural extract, or more likely, it's just my body ramping up because it perceives a threat. Interesting.

I don't have many allergies, but I do have one - and I don't know what it is other than it seems to relate to small brightly colored common daisy-like flowers. Several years ago I went to an allergist who waved his hands around and talked fast and pricked my forearm a dozen or so times and then upon finding nothing conclusive started hard-selling me on nose surgery. As a kid in desperate times I did some telephone sales and this allergist was doing the whole classic schtick (always be closing, alternate advance, appeal to authority, bracket close, concession close etc.) He was a decent enough salesman, but it was odd to hear that kind of structured sales-patter coming out of a doctor's mouth. I'm not sure that he appreciated it when I complimented and then critiqued his sales technique and suggested some "areas of improvement". Then I read up on rhinitis and decided that the best thing to do was lose 50lbs and now my nose works fine. Turns out that overeating carb-heavy fast food is inherently inflamatory and add to that being overweight -- no wonder I couldn't breathe. Anyway, now my nose works fine for the most part unless I get near this specific type of flowering plant.

Thank you - this is a potential road to follow to get to the answer.

Oh and to add to the thread and put an end to my hijacking of it... I hate to pile-on, but: "Gray Flannel." ;-)

Oh and to add to the thread and put an end to my hijacking of it... I hate to pile-on, but: "Gray Flannel." ;-)

I think you had to be around when Grey Flannel was first released to enjoy it. What I tell all those who don't like it is to sprinkle a few drops or one spray on to a hankie or tissue, stick it into your sport jacket pocket and then smell it about 4 hours later and see if you feel the same way about it. It's all about the dry down and not the opening with Grey Flannel.

This is the one I could never get used to.

chaps_cologne.jpg

Two come to mind. Eternity from Calvin Klein, and St. Johns Cutlass. Can't deal with either one. If someone near me is wearing Eternity, I keep my distance. I find it revolting. Cutlass is so strong and brash, it could likely peel paint from any surface. Just find it ridiculous that St. Johns would make something so disgusting.

That would be "Lui" by the brand Mazzolari.
I tried it on, and immediately went to the bathroom to wash it off.
Which wasn't easy.

Afterwards I read a review about it, and the sentence that made me laugh out loud was the following one:
"“Jesus, Dad”, gasps my daughter, hoarsely. “You smell like a bum’s nut-sack,” adding, perhaps superfluously: “and not in a good way.” "

Says it all really.

I really like Grey Flanel. I was there when it was first released. It was a boundary testing scent. It smelled different that the other scents out there.

Lui is an amazing scent. Powerful. Dark. Some have said a perefect scent for the Rusian mafia. I would not over do it, but I think it is pretty wearable.

After blind buying Aramis Havana, I was really impressed and loved it. Decided that I had to try the original and since it had wonderful reviews, I blind bought that also.

The original just seemed too floral for my tastes. It didn’t smell bad, just not my thing.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Body chemistry shemistry. The stuff smells that way right out of the bottle. :w00t:

How each individual perceives that particular scent - attracted or repelled - is determined on a very instinctive and subconscious level.

If you haven't done so already, please check out the article I linked to in the "Body Chemistry and Fragrance" thread:

As always, YMMV. :)

Top Bottom