What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It is quite amazing how close to a several pass shave can be achieved with "one" more or less ATG, S-N pass + a little extra work on the lips and chin and maybe the sideburns.

The better your technique, the less buffing or cleanups are needed. I find I buff much less these days than I use too, especially with the MMOC.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The better your technique, the less buffing or cleanups are needed. I find I buff much less these days than I use too, especially with the MMOC.

1583691441829.png
1583691484700.png

The only true buffing I do is on that little area on my lower lip right below the vermillion. Around the midline.

I think Rabidus @rabidus calls it the soul patch.

1583691656847.png

In any case, my whiskers there are almost impossible. Sometimes I get 'em smooth, but sometimes I don't. Mine goes right up to the vermillion border unless this guy's.

Not that it matter much to anyone and not at all to anyone but me but I give it a shot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Right below the vermillion, I guess, that lip line or "lower border", I do several quick left to right buffing srokes with just a corner of the blade, shaving maybe a 1/4" of lather. That makes the next strokes a lot easier, whether they be S-N or N-S you dont need to worry about nicking that slight ridge along the lip line. That ridge is extremely sensitive if you ever do nick it, believe me lol.

That ridge on the vermillion of the lower lip is exactly where I got a nick on Friday. A perfectly spherical bubble of blood appeared.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Right below the vermillion, I guess, that lip line or "lower border", I do several quick left to right buffing srokes with just a corner of the blade, shaving maybe a 1/4" of lather. That makes the next strokes a lot easier, whether they be S-N or N-S you dont need to worry about nicking that slight ridge along the lip line. That ridge is extremely sensitive if you ever do nick it, believe me lol.

That ridge on the vermillion of the lower lip is exactly where I got a nick on Friday. A perfectly spherical bubble of blood appeared.

Yikes.

I don't suppose there's any place fun to nick or cut, but you guys have my sympathy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Stings huh lol.

Thats why I got in the habit of tracing that lip line with the SB/OC left to right using only the corner of the blade. It makes things much easier.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Stings huh lol.

Thats why I got in the habit of tracing that lip line with the SB/OC left to right using only the corner of the blade. It makes things much easier.

I think I've cut my upper lip once, but the lips are generally easy for me. Missing the corner of my nose (the most lateral corner) is not so easy.

Stings huh lol.

Yeah. This stings more, haha.

Shave 53

View attachment 1072580

I should've listened to Al Swearengen. I can hear God laughing.

I've just had to abort my shave after trying each of the methods above and using up the rest of my Iceni sample in the process. All I eneded up with each time was a bubbly, dissipating foam, not even close to being a lather. Impossible to shave with. And it took an age.

Oh well, nothing ventured....

Gotta see the funny side, lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very very good.

FixedKit.136.Vitos.3-10-20.CopMan.640.JPG

What a nice edge.

It's very clear to me that adding Grooming Dept Pre-shave to my kit has made a very significant difference in the quality of my shaves including the closeness.

Dragonsbeard.SkinFood.Splash.HyaluronicAcid.480.JPG

I'm pleased.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Swedgin.jpg

Now Jim will just have to watch Deadwood lol. Dont worry, its worth it. The language might make the proverbial sailor feel awkward though lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Language is not an issue for me although some movies overdo it I think.

The language in Deadwood can put some people off. It did me on first watch, but you need to look at the time, the place and the people and I think it was likely pretty accurate. It is well written and exceedingly well acted.

Top Bottom