What's new

Feather AS-D2 long term survey

Hi AS-D2 owner
I own a Rockwell 6C i use with #2 plate.
For a long time i desire to buy a Feather AS-D2 and now need impressions from daily shavers who use AS-D2.
Just want to precise i only want advice about AS-D2.
Thank you.

I use an AS-D2 regularly and did have a Rockwell 6C for a short time. The 6c is very nice, but I never liked using it as much as the AS-D2. To me, the AS-D2 feels about as mild as a Rockwell plate #2, but provides closer to plate #3 results.

I use an AS-D2 regularly and did have a Rockwell 6C for a short time. The 6c is very nice, but I never liked using it as much as the AS-D2. To me, the AS-D2 feels about as mild as a Rockwell plate #2, but provides closer to plate #3 results.
I suppose i will be ok with AS-D2 cause with 6C i wish to have a #2.5 plate

AS-D2 is a superb razor, but only if you get the angle spot on, and I do mean spot on.

Being a very mild razor the blade exposure is minimal and if you miss the right angle the shave is mediocre at best. Handle at 45° (± 2°) is where it performs beautifully. It takes a bit of getting used to as it's a shallower blade angle than that used with most other razors.

You will occasionally hear people bemoaning it's mildness and alleged inefficiency, but I always wonder if they're just not using the right technique.

I own a Feather AS D2. It's my favorite razor along with several vintage techs.

For me it's pretty perfect. Smooth shaver. I don't find it needs a precise angle at all. It's also about the best looking razor out there. It's the most expensive razor i own but worth it to me.

ASD2 is a fantastic razor, i'd put it between 2&3 on the Rockwell scale. It is smooth and very efficient if you get used to the different angle. I actually found the ASD2 angle to be very intuative so that never was an issue for me.

BTW: works well with blades other then Feather Hi Stainless too, regardless what is thrown around on the forums. I actually use Astra SPs. But i get equally good shaves with Derby Extras.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I actually found the ASD2 angle to be very intuative so that never was an issue for me.
I've never understood the whole argument that this razor has a different angle or that it's so difficult to find. I guess due to the small gap and exposure that it may have a narrow window and I might happen to naturally use that angle anyway so don't have any difficulty in finding the sweet spot. I think this is a non worry, just spend a little time and it's easily found.

I've never used a Rockwell. I will say I found the .68 Game Changer to be quite similar at a nice savings, but I prefer the AS-D2. The AS-D2 is a bit slimmer and more refined than the Game Changer. I haven't actually run a Feather blade in mine. I use Personna Med Prep.

I’ve been using mine now for three years and love it. Normally daily with no issues. If I skip a day or two I have to be more conscious of the angle to get proper results

AS-D2 is a superb razor, but only if you get the angle spot on, and I do mean spot on.

Being a very mild razor the blade exposure is minimal and if you miss the right angle the shave is mediocre at best. Handle at 45° (± 2°) is where it performs beautifully. It takes a bit of getting used to as it's a shallower blade angle than that used with most other razors.

You will occasionally hear people bemoaning it's mildness and alleged inefficiency, but I always wonder if they're just not using the right technique.

I agree for the most part. I believe the blade exposure is actually negative on this one. For me, 45 degrees was a minimum angle and certainly not near 30. You’re thinking of it backwards. 30 degrees is more shallow than 45. Laying the cap flat against the face, you first move to 30. Then 45 is more steep (handle closer to the face). I agree it’s very picky in what angle it likes.

Overall, using the razor was a miserable experience for me. I gave it 50-60 shaves and refuse to buy into the thinking, “blame the user, not the tool”. There are simply the wrong tools out there for some users. A carpenter or mechanic will tell you, use the right tool for the job. For my face and beard, the AS-D2 was not the right tool. As if I was fidgeting and struggling with a crescent wrench all day rather than having precision fit, multi-point sockets and ratchet (if you get the metaphor).

But more on topic, If the OP enjoys a 2 plate on the Rockwell, this may be a terrific fit. The AS-D2 is a beautifully built razor!

The AS-D2 has been in my rotation for over five years. The Rockwell S also has been in my rotation. I prefer the Feather because its head is thinner and that makes it easier to shave under my nose. Once I put a Feather blade in the AS-D2 razor I have gotten excellent shaves with it. If it helps, I use the 4 plate with the Rockwell.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The AS-D2 has been in my rotation for over five years. The Rockwell S also has been in my rotation. I prefer the Feather because its head is thinner and that makes it easier to shave under my nose. Once I put a Feather blade in the AS-D2 razor I have gotten excellent shaves with it. If it helps, I use the 4 plate with the Rockwell.

In my opinion and based on my experience with the razor and a number of blades, the Feather blade and the Feather AS-D2 go together as if they were designed to be used together.

I get good shaves with the Feather blade. Well, they seem good initially. However, a little while after my shaves with Feather blades I realize the shave was harsh. I'm not knocking them, but they don't work well for me. They sure are sharp though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I started wet shaving in late 2018 with the Rockwell 6S after using the Merkur 34C and the Rockwell 6C for just a short period of time. By late February 2019, I bought the Feather AS-D2. I have two houses and travel a lot, so the Feather AS-D2 lives at the main house and the Rockwell 6S at the other. The remaining razors are now relegated to travel. The Feather has been a really great razor and is easily my favorite of those four. I have been using Gillette Nacet and Silver Blue blades with this razor and have little to complain. I have to clean up a few rough spots on my neck occasionally; however, I think that is the case with most, regardless of the razor. Over the last year of using the Feather more than any other, I will admit that both Rockwell's seemed to have become a Mack truck compared to the Feather, largely due to the head size. For clarity, I use both Rockwell's on plate 3 or 4 with excellent results, and other than the head size, attributed to their adjustability (which is really mental), their performance is consistent with what has been discussed here on this forum. Things changed though when I read an about the new Occam's DE (safety/solid bar) razor. Like many, I said what the heck, for less than $55.00 I can purchase a nice stainless steel, adjustable razor, at a reasonable price (they offer three plates) . Boom, it is fantastic in so many ways. Performance wise, I consider it to be on the scale of the Rockwell 4 plate, or perhaps slightly less, a 3.5 imaginary plate, as it has just a hint of blade music, but for some reason, and I can't describe it, it is a wonderful creation. I am not experienced enough to discuss smoothness, efficiency and aggressiveness or other similar attributes, but I am experienced enough to know that I am driven to a milder type razor. I am traveling this weekend and I have the Rockwell 6C and a Wilkinson Sword blade with me and it is fine. But, in the end, the best of the bunch remain the Feather and the Occam's because they are so darn easy and work for me. These days, I split time with both of these two razors when at home and each is an absolute pleasure to use. I hope that my experience with this helps as the Feather is a fantastic razor and, if you get it, you will absolutely love it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
the Feather blade and the Feather AS-D2 go together as if they were designed to be used together.
I did a little digging. I had to make some legal requests, track things through several offshore shell companies registered by fictitious entities, but I'm close to a formal press conference to out the sneaky buggers. Early, possible premature conclusion: it's starting to look more and more like Feather makes both the Feather AS-D2 and the Feather blades, so I think you may be onto something. ;)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I did a little digging. I had to make some legal requests, track things through several offshore shell companies registered by fictitious entities, but I'm close to a formal press conference to out the sneaky buggers. Early, possible premature conclusion: it's starting to look more and more like Feather makes both the Feather AS-D2 and the Feather blades, so I think you may be onto something. ;)

Not everyone is willing to go to such lengths.

The Feather turns out to be an excellent buy. I use 2, sometimes 3 razors during a shave. ( I get to use them MORE by this method and do the "reduction" method.
First pass: the Feather with a WILKINSON Light Brigade blade
Second pass with Game Changer .68
Third ( if I do one: for fun) Karve Open Comb B plate.
Highly entertaining and satisfying

I have a as d2, my second one. I always got good shaves with it didnt have a problem with the angle ( i just pretent the razor is invisible and i only invision the blade and i position it like a straight ) i havent used it in a while though after i got a timeless and a cg level 1. I get superb shaves with those and now im trying out straights. Im gonna use the as-D2 next time for clean up though with a feather blade

thank you all for your testimonials. you convince me to buy one and will receive it soon. i will make a reviewafter a couples of shaves.

Top Bottom