What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2020 Edition

I poked through to the bottom of my Stirling Sharp Dressed Man today. I would be shocked if I ran out before the end of March, however, if I run out I will either be a little fuzzy or fail but keep using Stirling base.

Excited for the race against time.

First shave of the FFFMM went well, I'm liking my choices and got a close shave. Hope to improve my speed over the next 30 days.
Fatip Piccolo Mk2
Personna Med Prep (1)
Omega 49 Pro boar brush, face lathering
Cella red tub
Speick splash

As previously posted, I started this year's FF4M off with:
Razor: Viking Captain
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega 11126
Soap: Van der Hagen (using rain water)

DSCF2078.JPG

The soup mug holds boiled water for lathering and cleaning between passes. The soap container is a Dollar Tree 5 for $1.00 (USD). My Proraso Green and Red soaps each have their own container.

FFFMM SOTD 1

Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Haslinger’s Seaweed
Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Colonel x2L
A first shave with the Platinum Lux and Meeresalgen.
Nice and smooth
The Meeresalgen seems to be a bit slicker than Schaffmilch and it has a comfortable post shave feel.

I'm in though to be fair it's not going to be much different from what I normally do, except that I'll be sticking to one soap rather than swapping and changing.

My hardware for March will be what I use every day anyway:

Razorock Snowman brush
Rockwell 6S on plate 3
Silver Star blades

For the soap I'm going to stick with Proraso green which I used today. I gave serious consideration to my other favorites Tabac and Proraso white, but I'm becoming a menthol addict so green it is. I'll post up a shot in a day or two!

March 1st, 1st shave in the FFFMM

Just had the first shave in this FFFMM with the setup of the month!

DE: R89
Blade: Derby
Shaving Cream: Truefitt Apsley

I did not remember what a comfortable and close shave the shaving creams of Truefitt&Hill do provide. I am looking forward for the other shaves this month with the very same setup.

Report: F3M2 shave no. 1
My case of the jitters (I really want to WIN the 2020 F3M2) was evident this morning.
I can only report a DFS...I’m blaming the contest nervousness, lack of attention span, poor motor coordination and the third shave with my Astra SP. I will not choke tomorrow, new Astra is already in the Chris B.

MdC Vetyver
Karve Chris Bradley brass, C plate
Astra SP
Refreshed ”Buffalo” handle with Silk Smoke knot.
Pitralon Green AS

Day 1

Rex Envoy
Personna Med Prep
Proraso White cream
H&S 24mm synthetic

I only made two passes today (WTG and XTG) and it was smooth and comfortable. Good audible feedback, but I really can’t feel the blade. I don’t think I got as close today. Will definitely have to focus more tomorrow.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
How do you like the Schone? It’s on my list.
It's good. To me there is a lot of blade feel, you need to respect it but not the type of respect (speaking from others posts here for the rest of this sentence) that the Muhle R41 with it's loosely fixed blade demands. The Schone isn't laying for you to make a mistake. I get a DFS+ or BBS with two passes. Once and a while I'll get a weeper, ATG on my upper lip if I'm not careful. If I only did WTG, there would never be any weepers and it would leave me closer than some 2 pass shaves from a milder razor, but I detest the punji stick stubble a one pass shave leaves me with.

I like a two pass shave WTG and ATG. I do get some irritation from it at times and that's why I chose it for the next month, to dial it in. I'd rate the closeness a little better than my Carbon CX and I think it supports the blade slightly better as it's slightly easier to go ATG on my upper lip (my litmus test) with the Schone. This month I plan to experiment with the Gillette glide and see if doing a glide and some XTG might get the job done.

Fit and finish, it's typical Fatip all the way. Mine came with a scratch in the plating on the handle that is deep and would not have made it out the door if they did any kind of QC. I didn't care, the more important part to me was that the thing held the blade reasonably straight without much futzing.

I found the handle a bit too slick. I took some 800 grit sandpaper, held it around the handle and spun it. Now it's more of a satin finish and has a decent grip for me. Not sure where to get a Schone these days as when you go to the site, the online store they used to sell through seems to no longer carry their product. If that is the case, then just get a Fatip. The Fatip OC has 2 more teeth by the way than the ones they make for Schone and Plisson. [Update: Amazon still has Schone]

Last edited:
It's good. To me there is a lot of blade feel, you need to respect it but not the type of respect (speaking from others posts here for the rest of this sentence) that the Muhle R41 with it's loosely fixed blade demands. The Schone isn't laying for you to make a mistake. I get a DFS+ or BBS with two passes. Once and a while I'll get a weeper, ATG on my upper lip if I'm not careful. If I only did WTG, there would never be any weepers and it would leave me closer than some 2 pass shaves from a milder razor, but I detest the punji stick stubble a one pass shave leaves me with.

I like a two pass shave WTG and ATG. I do get some irritation from it at times and that's why I chose it for the next month, to dial it in. I'd rate the closeness a little better than my Carbon CX and I think it supports the blade slightly better as it's slightly easier to go ATG on my upper lip (my litmus test) with the Schone. This month I plan to experiment with the Gillette glide and see if doing a glide and some XTG might get the job done.

Fit and finish, it's typical Fatip all the way. Mine came with a scratch in the plating on the handle that is deep and would not have made it out the door if they did any kind of QC. I didn't care, the more important part to me was that the thing held the blade reasonably straight without much futzing.

I found the handle a bit too slick. I took some 800 grit sandpaper, held it around the handle and spun it. Now it's more of a satin finish and has a decent grip for me. Not sure where to get a Schone these days as when you go to the site, the online store they used to sell through seems to no longer carry their product. If that is the case, then just get a Fatip. The Fatip OC has 2 more teeth by the way than the ones they make for Schone and Plisson.

Thanks for the info. Amazon has them for $22, but I’m also participating in this month’s restraint challenge.

I do like the blade feel from my R41 and R96, so this might be right up my alley. Good luck with it this month!

Top Bottom