What's new

Processed Food

This short video is a good explanation of where I stand on processed food. Both good and bad. Processed food helped to win the big war and fed the world's growing population but we paid a cost. Going forward, we'll have to find the right balance. Not all processed food is bad.

We have minimal processed foods. My wife cooks most food from scratch, which also helps us avoid avoid extra sugars as well. I haven't looked at studies, but it has helped us keep our weight in check and we haven't had any major medical issues so far. Of course, tomorrow is never promised no matter how we eat, so it isn't a cure all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that it's really hard to eat non-processed food. Basic ingredients like milk and flour are processed. You can find non bleached flour for the most part but who has access to raw milk?
Also, try to find non-chlorinated chicken or non-irradiated vegetables.
Cooking from scratch doesn't mean non-processed.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that it's really hard to eat non-processed food. Basic ingredients like milk and flour are processed.
That's why we removed both from our diet and moved to low card/keto.
With the meat can be challenging, but grass fed and grass finished beef is a safe bet.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Not a fan of most processed foods but most folks do not have access to wild game or heirloom organic veggies nuts and grains.

The old saying Pick your Poison is appropriate here.

Keep in mind that it's really hard to eat non-processed food. Basic ingredients like milk and flour are processed. You can find non bleached flour for the most part but who has access to raw milk?
Also, try to find non-chlorinated chicken or non-irradiated vegetables.
Cooking from scratch doesn't mean non-processed.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
True, there is always some processing, not all bad, IMHO. We are looking to buy raw milk, but for my wife's cheese making.

The two pics below are from Deep Nutrition by Dr. Catherine Shanahan.

While sugar and other bad ingredients can overwhelm and undermine your organs / health, vegetable oils ( aka seed oils; canola, soy, cotton-seed (see good fats and bad pic below) ) are bad for your brain.

Reading ingredients labels reveals vegetable oil (super bad fat) in nearly everything. Especially when you blindly eat out at a restaurant or fast food. I stopped eating out unless I can be certain on what kind of fat they cook with.

Her chapter 8 titled Brain Killer was a wake up call for me. I like her list of brain healthy foods.

I came upon this (seemingly anonymous) blog post: Vegetable oil: the silent brain killer 6-15-17 that covers many of the same things as Dr. Shanahan's book.

proxy.php

proxy.php

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
True, there is always some processing, not all bad, IMHO. We are looking to buy raw milk, but for my wife's cheese making.

We have a place right up the road that sells milk straight from the cow.
and we always have eggs around here for sale. Seems like everyone has chickens
My family raises a few head of black angus cattle and we always have wild hog and axis deer and now and then a Nilgai

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm glad to see the discussion about what is "processed." The bottom line is that the term "processed" is broad and vague, and that was by designed when applied to food products. At the time it was applied, it was a neutral term (perhaps even an interesting one). Strictly speaking, any food that is not in it's original form is "processed."

A bag of Cheetos is full of processed food, but so is a bag of flour, no matter whether it's bleached. Cheese and yogurt are processed foods. Ground beef is processed, no matter what the animal ate. For that matter, any meat you buy is processed. When I shred and ferment cabbage, I've processed it twice over (at least).

When it comes to this sort of discussion, I find it more useful to take the Michael Pollan approach and discuss whether something is "food," rather than whether it's "processed."

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Back (in a former life) when I was a patent attorney, I used to enjoy going to the through the Official Gazette to look at the published applications and issued patents for the food industry. There was some pretty wild stuff in there. I wish I had a dollar for every time I read the word, "extruded."

I don't do margarine anymore, I never thought that was a good idea. I understand it was important for the war effort.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That’s funny Aaron!!
I laughed cuz I do eat ketchup on most everything but not that.
When I did eat potted meat sammiches I would put miracle whip on them. Nothing on Vienna sausages.
Fishing with dad one time he made my brother and I promise not to tell mom what he was feeding us for dinner cuz it was what the rich people eat and very expensive. He told us we were having beef tips as he opened a couple cans of Vienna sausages for our dinner.

Top Bottom