What's new

2020 New models of electric shavers

Here is the next installment, but with some changes. :)

I changed my mind about the soap/aftershave this morning. Here's how it went.

I used Razorock Keyhole synthetic brush and TOBS Lemon & Lime cream. I realized I did not have to make a ton of lather, because there is no reason to do a traditional multi-pass shave with this electric shaver. I debated using a Proraso pre-shave cream, but decided not to.

I wasn't sure what to expect because I don't have much experience shaving with an electric, but the shave was incredibly smooth! I'd definitely recommend using it with the soap/bream and a brush if you are not in a hurry. The experience is much better and your skin will thank you for it. Since electric shaver does not remove a ton of lather like a wet DE razor does, you can go over the same spot multiple times, changing direction freely - even doing circular motion - with absolutely no drag or irritation. The downside is that i had to feel my skin often in order to know if I needed to get it extra smooth in certain spots. The shave approached BBS in about 2 minutes and originally I was happy to stop there.

This is when I made a mistake: there are two spots on my neck when the hair sort of "swirls" - ie. it grows randomly in all directions. I never buff these spots with a DE/SE razor, because it only leads to horrible irritation (although I don't have super sensitive skin) and I usually just go over them twice, north to south. It looks alright afterwards, not perfect, but good enough. Since Braun Series 6 is incredibly smooth and gentle (all my previous experiences with old electrics were really bad) I decided to use more pressure and get these spots as smooth as possible. And you know what - it worked! I did not feel any irritation at all, but when I finally washed my face, there were two 1/2-inch red spots there. Did not hurt at all, but this was totally unnecessary on my part... I should have known better. So, if you feel tempted to use pressure and buff the spot because this shaver is ultra smooth -- don't. That's all I am going to say.

Anyway, I applied Proraso Wood & Spice balm afterwards, which surprisingly did not burn anywhere, even on those irritated spots, but I still decided to steal some expensive Kohl's Calendula Water Cream from my wife after 20 minutes to see if it would soothe my skin more effectively. ;) This is an awesome cream I have to say! Wow! But it did burn a little on my neck.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this shaver. Dry or wet. It looks like a great investment, but I can't tell how sturdy it is. It looks very attractive but it's all cheap plastic that is rubberized for better grip. Don't drop it! With a brush+soap/cream it shaves just as good as a blade with much less work - smooth and no irritation - just don't make the same mistake I did if you have trouble spots. One thing that surprised me greatly is that the shave quality surpassed the blade on my chin; I can get it that smooth with a DE/SE at the cost of some minor irritation. Series 6 just did it in 10-15 seconds with a light touch. Unbelievable!
Are there spots where it did not perform as well as a traditional blade? Yup. It might be my lack of experience, but I did not come close enough to my sideburns and I had to use my Parker open comb to do that part afterwards. It only took 10 seconds, but still... I'll just come closer to the sideburn next time with the electric. Under the nose it did alright, but I had to go sideways a few times to really get it right. I'll keep that in mind too for next time.

Verdict: 9/10 for dry shavers, 10/10 for wet shaving. It really lets you explore finer aspects of shaving (brushes, soaps, aftershaves...) without ever having to touch a real blade or go down a rabbit hole spending $$ on colectible stuff. :) But then, you'll go down the rabbit hole on "software" and have a drawer full of half used creams and soaps.

Basically, if you really want the convenience of an electric with an option to shave wet, say on the weekends, this is what you need to invest in (or something similar):

View attachment 1061704
proxy.php
proxy.php

It's definitely worth it.

Thanks for that report. 9/10 for dry and 10/10 for wet on your first two shaves is amazing. Give us an update after using it daily for a couple of weeks to see if your shave improves after your skin and beard becomes accustomed to your new shaver.

Just for clarification, does the owner’s manual require using a drop of light machine oil on the screens occasionally if you use it wet?

I have not consulted the manual that much, but there's a picture that shows you can use a drop of oil on the screen and smear it around with your fingertip. I would probably do this here and there, but don't know how often. Can someone chime in, please?

Also, I will report again after 1 week, then after 1 month. Again, I have zeo experience with electrics, as a hardcore wet shaver, but this is awesome. I wasn't aware these modern electrics were this good, especially wet.

I have not consulted the manual that much, but there's a picture that shows you can use a drop of oil on the screen and smear it around with your fingertip. I would probably do this here and there, but don't know how often. Can someone chime in, please?

Also, I will report again after 1 week, then after 1 month. Again, I have zeo experience with electrics, as a hardcore wet shaver, but this is awesome. I wasn't aware these modern electrics were this good, especially wet.

Good call on repeated follow ups, you may see some irritation next week (it's normal) but by week 3-4 you'll know if it's right for you or not (irritation remained/got worse or went away).

Did they change the Series 9 shavers?

I personally like the pop up trimmers myself and dont want a shaver with a detachable trimmer. I use it to make my sideburns straight, trim hair that grow on my ears and nose hair that gets too long.

I personally like the pop up trimmers myself and dont want a shaver with a detachable trimmer. I use it to make my sideburns straight, trim hair that grow on my ears and nose hair that gets too long.

Braun has updated to the Series 93XX, but essentially an identical shaver - same shaving cassette, same design, same body except for some minor cosmetic changes.

Braun 9385cc

I couldn’t wait for installments 2 and 3. I Bought Braun 6020s. I had my first shave today. I used Williams and got a very good somewhat close shave. I didn’t get any razor burn. Not bad for a first Shave. The shave should get better with a few shaves under my belt.
I would like to try wet shaving at some point but want to see how good of a dry shave I can get to compare.

Anyone have a recommendation as to how often to oil the shave cutters?

I couldn’t wait for installments 2 and 3. I Bought Braun 6020s. I had my first shave today. I used Williams and got a very good somewhat close shave. I didn’t get any razor burn. Not bad for a first Shave. The shave should get better with a few shaves under my belt.
I would like to try wet shaving at some point but want to see how good of a dry shave I can get to compare.

Anyone have a recommendation as to how often to oil the shave cutters?

Congratulations and let us know how it progresses. Read your owner’s manual and follow their directions. I think it will tell you that you don’t have to oil it at all as long as you don’t take wet shaves or clean it with water. Use it daily for a couple of weeks until your beard and face becomes accustomed to the shaver.

I am very close in getting a Braun Series 9 shaver. I wonder if I would have any issues switching between the Norelco and the Braun with my beard?

Last edited:
I am very close in getting a Braun Series 9 shaver. I wonder if I would have any issues switching between the Norelco and the Braun with my beard?

The Series 9 is a great shaver, and you shouldn't have a problem. I routinely switch between rotary and foil (9000 Series and Prestige, the Series 9 and now the new Series 7). The foils tend not to trim longer hairs as well as rotaries, but Braun's flat cutters do a great job compensating, and I haven't had a problem shaving a 4 day old beard with the Brauns. You may also find that a foil gives you a more comfortable shave, also a general characteristic of foils compared to rotaries. Any switch requires some time for your face (and technique) to adapt to the new method - a couple of weeks or more usually. I shave wet (brush, soap and scuttle), so switching (for me) is always an easy transition (I actually use a DE very occasionally as well), but lots of dry shavers here would give the Braun top marks. You'll have a noisier shave with the Braun - nature of the beast - but I actually prefer a foil over a rotary now for my electric mornings.

I agree about the pop up or slide up trimmer rather than having to remove the head and replace it with a separate trimmer. Having to carry the trimmer accessory separately when traveling or misplaying it in your bathroom junk drawer is an extra burden that the incorporated trimmer shaver user doesn’t have to deal. A separate trimmer is just another opportunity to up their revenue stream by selling you other devices such as a body trimmer or a face scrubbing brush. Other than trimming my sideburns or my mustache I’ve never had an urge to manscape my body or to exfoliate my face. 😝

It’s been a week since I started using Braun series 6 and the shaves keep getting better each day. I am getting DFS now. I think I am getting as good as I got with an DE.

i use Williams before each shave and run the shaver under hot water every 2 days and spray with clipper cleaner, disinfectant and oil all in one

Great clippers much better than my Arc 4. Now I know why people on this forum recommend Braun.

It’s been a week since I started using Braun series 6 and the shaves keep getting better each day. I am getting DFS now. I think I am getting as good as I got with an DE.

i use Williams before each shave and run the shaver under hot water every 2 days and spray with clipper cleaner, disinfectant and oil all in one

Great clippers much better than my Arc 4. Now I know why people on this forum recommend Braun.

It’s not unusual for your shaves to get better after first switching to an electric shaver. Your beard as well as your technique will require an adjustment period that may last for a couple of weeks. Glad to hear that your are satisfied with the results.

Yes, please keep us posted. I'm giving blade shaving one last whirl right now but judging by my lengthy history I don't see that working well. If it doesn't then I'm going to call it and officially stick with Electrics which would result in me trying one of the new brauns vs my 3.

So for head shaving if you had to take a guess: Arc5 or this new Model 7 Brown???
I know this thread is mainly regarding the Braun shavers, but, getting tired of shaving my head with my blades, and needing an alternative for my head in the morning while we are down to one bathroom during a remodel of our master, I decided to trial a new electric solely for my head. (I will continue my SE shaves on my face and neck).

Previous experience when I was first head-shaving, I trialed two electrics, the Pitbull brand (went back after one use, it did nothing!) I bought an Andis foil (similar to the Wahl) and got decent results, but found I was going over the same spot multiple times to get as close to no stubble as possible, decent, but after time I gave up on it except for touch-ups late in the day, and have been using my Schick L or my Gillette TracII's exclusively for a year now.

I am hoping to report back on the Panasonic Arc-5 i just ordered (no cleaning station, just the shaver) later this week with my experience if you guys are interested as Braun guys. Again solely from a head shavers experience.

Let me know and I can comment here later in the week.

-scott

I know this thread is mainly regarding the Braun shavers, but, getting tired of shaving my head with my blades, and needing an alternative for my head in the morning while we are down to one bathroom during a remodel of our master, I decided to trial a new electric solely for my head. (I will continue my SE shaves on my face and neck).

Previous experience when I was first head-shaving, I trialed two electrics, the Pitbull brand (went back after one use, it did nothing!) I bought an Andis foil (similar to the Wahl) and got decent results, but found I was going over the same spot multiple times to get as close to no stubble as possible, decent, but after time I gave up on it except for touch-ups late in the day, and have been using my Schick L or my Gillette TracII's exclusively for a year now.

I am hoping to report back on the Panasonic Arc-5 i just ordered (no cleaning station, just the shaver) later this week with my experience if you guys are interested as Braun guys. Again solely from a head shavers experience.

Let me know and I can comment here later in the week.

-scott

I'm a huge Braun advocate but I also primarily shave my head with an electric and have no experience with Panasonic arc series so I look forward to your reports!
Cheers sly brethren

Welcome to our electric shaver discussions. Although a lot of users have Braun shavers there are guys who have other brands and some who own multiple shavers of different brands. I used a Panasonic shaver for 5 years and was very pleased with the results only face shaving. I’ll be interested in your report on using the Arc 5. You might like it enough to try it on your face.

Welcome to our electric shaver discussions.
Thank you, sir!

You might like it enough to try it on your face.

Now...let's not get ahead of ourselves here! The boys over in the SE razors groups may hear you! LOL!!

I'll post as soon as I give it a spin or two around the block...

Question..? Can I use this with lather? will it make any difference? Should I experiment with just water in the shower vs dry? soapy water? Whats the best way to put it through its paces?

Thank you, sir!

Now...let's not get ahead of ourselves here! The boys over in the SE razors groups may hear you! LOL!!

I'll post as soon as I give it a spin or two around the block...

Question..? Can I use this with lather? will it make any difference? Should I experiment with just water in the shower vs dry? soapy water? Whats the best way to put it through its paces?

Consult the manufacturer if you are unsure (should be on their website) and I don't know myself, sorry. If you can/do, I Highly advocate a 'thin runny' lather vs a thick yogurt lather. You want glide and lubrication, not cushion and fluff.

Consult the manufacturer if you are unsure (should be on their website) and I don't know myself, sorry. If you can/do, I Highly advocate a 'thin runny' lather vs a thick yogurt lather. You want glide and lubrication, not cushion and fluff.

Sounds good !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom